• Diaby (Bailey 45)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 57)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 66)
    • Cash (Konsa 66)
    • Moreno (Digne 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/23 at 23:59

So I’m home now from a night out on the hoy in Staines 

we went to about 4 pubs and none of them had the game on so I watched it in my phone for he first 30 mins but my mates who all support Chelsea , West Ham and spurs all said they wanted to watch  Villa so we got a couple of  Ubers to a bar the other end of town.. alas we kinda under performed  but they were all still impressed and think I’m mental for saying we could get 5th , they all think we are contenders 

I’ve messaged every Arsenal fan as these days don’t come  along too often    and tbf most of them seem to be far more complimentary of our performance than I am
suddenly it’s great to be a Villa fan again … let’s not duck this up 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Much sympathy to all those who were “expecting” Arsenal to score 1.36 goals, FYI they scored 0.

Also, key info for those “expecting” us to score 0.5 goals.

We doubled that!   :flag:

I do think xG can be a load of bollocks sometimes. Like Mcginn's goal was something like 0.18xG. 

Also I lost faith in it when it doesn't account for who has the chance. Salah one on one or Danny Graham and you'd 'expect a goal' way more often from one than another 

• Like 2

Massive win backing up the Man City win the other night. Wasn't as free flowing as Wednesday apart from the first 10mins but understandable after the effort put in by everyone. Arsenal are little bitches falling over every challenge and after last year's game it was nice to come out on top. Well played everyone again UTV

7 hours ago, Chicago Villan 1974 said:

Do we believe in miracles yet ? Leicester 2.0?  

Not really a fair comparison. The title would be magical to us as Villans but I doubt that it will ever capture the popular imagination like they did. It's not just that they were a traditional yo-yo club that had never won the league...they were relegation favorites with 5,000 to 1 odds for the title that year. We're the biggest club in the second biggest city in England with a glorious-if-inconsistent history and at the start of the season we were being talked about as top 6 contenders at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m really getting used to this waking up and revelling in another Villa victory. Watching our goal back from the beginning, it was a move that typifies Emery’s style. Composed play across the back line, including the keeper, then a perfect pass from Torres into midfield, then we break with speed and skill. It’s 40+ seconds of perfect football. There’s just so much to love about this team. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AV82 said:

Man City nicking a win in 2 shots vs. 22 would be a 'mugging'. Today was not that in my opinion. Were we lucky? Certainly, but I wouldn't paint it as harshly as you have.

Who’s being harsh? All I said was we probably didn’t deserve the win on balance. 

We were still excellent. You have to be good enough to take advantage of those situation when they happen. Arsenal didn’t take their chances and we did. That’s football. 

All I was saying was that on the balance of play, Arsenal will feel unlucky they lost that

• Like 2

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Much sympathy to all those who were “expecting” Arsenal to score 1.36 goals, FYI they scored 0.

Also, key info for those “expecting” us to score 0.5 goals.

We doubled that!   :flag:

That’s not what xG means

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

What were their three big chances exactly? And we had zero? McGinn and Watkins (Tielemans through ball) had the best two chances of the game IMO. Watkins also had another decent chance from the Diaby cutback into him.

Who calculates xG and big chances? People who've never played the game?

My guess would be that Odegaard’s two chances plus the one on one Martinelli had would be their three big chances. But I haven’t looked into it. 

Watkins’ chance got rules as offside I think so that wouldn’t count towards the stats. 

It’s calculated using thousands and thousands  of historical examples of similar shots. It’s not a guess

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My guess would be that Odegaard’s two chances plus the one on one Martinelli had would be their three big chances. But I haven’t looked into it. 

Watkins’ chance got rules as offside I think so that wouldn’t count towards the stats. 

It’s calculated using thousands and thousands  of historical examples of similar shots. It’s not a guess

Also a good example why these stats need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Interesting but nothing else.

Had Watkins scored very good chance his would have been onside and Martinelli’s was definitely offside. So that skews figures a bit. 

That Arsenal fan saying they dominated the whole game must have wet brain. First half there wasn’t much in it and olly should have put up 2.0 up. Second half it was mainly Arsenal as you’d expect being 1 down and us being a bit tired maybe. Their final balls were very poor like some of conceding possession in dangerous areas was poor too. They went down to the floor too easy as well. Are Arsenal a better team? They probably are overall during the season but we won on merit and we sit where we are in the table on merit. 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That Arsenal fan saying they dominated the whole game must have wet brain. First half there wasn’t much in it and olly should have put up 2.0 up. Second half it was mainly Arsenal as you’d expect being 1 down and us being a bit tired maybe. Their final balls were very poor like some of conceding possession in dangerous areas was poor too. They went down to the floor too easy as well. Are Arsenal a better team? They probably are overall during the season but we won on merit and we sit where we are in the table on merit. 

The Arsenal agenda is basically implying it was some kind of FA Cup-style ‘giant slaying’ when in fact it was one excellent team against another and some very fine margins, players winning individually, coaching and management that have made a very narrow difference. 

• Like 3

Villa Park is a hard place to come for an away team, the crowd are on it atm, the noise they make at certain parts of a game are a major factor in our home record and get us over the line in games like the Arsenal game, Well done 👏,  Arsenal and Man City just don't have that type of support to drag them over the line, is that measured by Xg? 

• Like 2

Wow, what a result! I can’t believe we beat the top 2 from last year back to back within a few days. I thought we might be knackered after Wednesday, and find it difficult. What an effort, and two clean sheets as well. UTV