• Diaby (Bailey 45)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 57)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 66)
    • Cash (Konsa 66)
    • Moreno (Digne 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/23 at 23:59

Just now, TRO said:

I just love 1-0's

There is something about a 1-0 that makes the opposition think they had a chance, like catching a large fish and seeing it escape from the hook or seeing a golfer spew a putt at the 18th to lose a match....The reality is, the rules of the competition say, you lost.

1-0's are a bit of a tease and make teams think they are in a game......but the reality is, until you score, to equalise, you are just kidding yourself.

Its not easy to win 1-0 for the victor.....more credit must be given to the team that manages it, as it takes a lot of resillient play, concentration, and hard work,  to achieve it.

Scoring in the 7th minute and seeing the game out is a major achievement.

In two weeks we have shown we can win or not lose in various ways, Spurs away and from behind , Bournemouth away and from behind, Man City at home and outplayed them with some beautiful football, Arsenal at home, held onto a lead for 90 minutes and withstood their diving, ref moaning mixed with the opposition having more possession and a day extra to prepare and rest. I'm impressed 👏 

• Like 4

I think Arsenal are poor losers.

Aston Villa are not....We respect the opposition when we lose....That gives us the magnanimity to accept accolades when we win.

Man City respected us in defeat, respect to them, too.

Arsenal need to know how to lose, and be gracious in defeat, before embarking on being worthy winners.

To me, They haven't earned the right, to accept a Title......They are simply synthetic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I watched the international feed at my second home in Australia - and Tony Adams was very very classy in his praise of Villa's defensive performance - he was actually loving it, smiling ear to ear with what he was watching. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I watched the international feed at my second home in Australia - and Tony Adams was very very classy in his praise of Villa's defensive performance - he was actually loving it, smiling ear to ear with what he was watching. 

La de da. Can I come?

40 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

For the penalty decision I've seen them given and I've seen them not given. There is a lot of inconsistency. However, the way Jesus threw himself down to the ground there may have swayed the referee's decision. Personally, I don't like seeing penalties for incidents like that so think it was the right decision.

Agree we have rattled a few fanbases - they've had it their own way for too long!

We may have been fortunate in this instance that Jarred Gillett was the ref as he's more liable to let things go. A ref who had a lower threshold for what's a foul or is more easily swayed may have given the pen I guess. In which case, I forgive him for how he reffed the game against Forest!

Also re: rattling the 'elite' - I think it's maybe a creeping realization that there might be another opponent in the title race. Up until a few days ago, Arsenal fans were thankful to 'Little Aston Villa' for keeping Man City 6 points behind them, but still didn't make the connection that we might be able to threaten them also.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

In a world of extremes, in what we are living in.....it must be remembered a 1-0 is a credible score line.

We have kinda slept walked in to this notion, that only 4-0's is worthy of satisfaction and joy.

1-0 to me, signifies a contest, where 2 teams give their all....but someone has to be a victor.

2 x 1-0's against 2 of the best sides around......are enough to rejoice for a month, so many factors have to be met to do that....I am over the Moon.

I'll take the 1-0, with the joy of a 6-0......all day long.

6 points.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As a stopper from the old school, Adams would appreciate heroic defending and an Arsenalesque one nil😀

a lot of the noise about changing the rule is from forwards (Wright , Lineker etc) who want everything in their favor.

for objectivity I have to declare my perspective is from being full back in ages when few laws were strictly enforced!😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s actually frightening how powerful it is!! 

I've had the same shirt on every home game apart from Everton Cup game, didnt go to that. My lad thinks he's lucky mascot cos he's been to every game and won them all. We are planning to go to every home game, so we should be walking this league 

• Like 1

Â