• Diaby (Bailey 45)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 57)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 66)
    • Cash (Konsa 66)
    • Moreno (Digne 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/23 at 23:59

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Maybe based on what they seem to be assessing as a pen this season, but nobody can honestly look at that and say it's a pen based on the contact making his standing leg collapse.

If that was Watkins you'd be flying to the Uk to firebomb the ref's house ;) 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If that was Watkins you'd be flying to the Uk to firebomb the ref's house ;) 

Probably based on what's been given in the PL this season, sure. But then the cycle continues right

But do I think it's a foul if I was in charge. **** no.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I’d like to think I’m honest enough (especially as I play as well) that I’d know that the contact has to be consequent to the fall. Yes, Luiz touches him (wouldn’t call it a kick) but it doesn’t cause his other leg to collapse. It also looks worse in slow motion, there’s an element of Jesus kicking down too. One of the analysis programmes somewhere picked up on it. 

I think fans need to be sensible here. it isn’t helped by refs giving such soft pens all season though to be fair. It seems the directive has been ‘contact in the box regardless of intent or consequence = pen’

in my ideal world shit like that is never a pen. It’s a contact sport, an attacker needs to be impeded for it to be a foul, not just inconsequential contact. 

I think the thing is that you're fixing on the falling over.  Is it strong enough contact to make him fall over?  No - and that's possibly a reason behind VAR not suggesting it needs overturning.

But from what I remember (I haven't reviewed this since, so could be wrong), Jesus has controlled the ball into his running path towards goal, in the box, and Luiz has got there late, resulting in him kicking up into Jesus' leg as his leg falls down.  I agree it's not a pure "kick", but he can't avoid hooking his leg which, to me, would impede Jesus.  Not enough to make him spin and fall over - that's entirely exaggerated - but probably (and we won't know, because he fell over :D) enough to stop him from getting the ball as he would've done had Luiz not impeded him.

Not a stonewall penalty as I said, but probably one of those where if it's given, it stays given.  As it wasn't, it stayed as no pen.  I'd want it if that was Saliba on Watkins, though.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I think the thing is that you're fixing on the falling over.  Is it strong enough contact to make him fall over?  No - and that's possibly a reason behind VAR not suggesting it needs overturning.

But from what I remember (I haven't reviewed this since, so could be wrong), Jesus has controlled the ball into his running path towards goal, in the box, and Luiz has got there late, resulting in him kicking up into Jesus' leg as his leg falls down.  I agree it's not a pure "kick", but he can't avoid hooking his leg which, to me, would impede Jesus.  Not enough to make him spin and fall over - that's entirely exaggerated - but probably (and we won't know, because he fell over :D) enough to stop him from getting the ball as he would've done had Luiz not impeded him.

Not a stonewall penalty as I said, but probably one of those where if it's given, it stays given.  As it wasn't, it stayed as no pen.  I'd want it if that was Saliba on Watkins, though.

I agree that if it was given it wouldn’t be overturned for sure. 

although I think the same penalty Saliba on Watkins probably wouldn’t happen as Ollie wouldn’t fall over like that. Ironically if he did a Jesus against Wolves we’d probably have got a pen. 

The crystal Palace penalty and our incident showed no comparison of force.....Jesus, played for it.

The desperate claims that Arsenal are clinging too, highlights their anguish at losing a game....They elected for any bit of chaos they could muster at the end, and come up short.

Learn how to lose with dignity, Arsenal...and you might deserve to win with Pride.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Jesus has made the most of it 100%, but I don't think we could have had many complaints if that was given.

As you said, if it was Watkins at the other end we'd have been fuming if that wasn't given

Id say we should be thanking jesus for giving us such a good run and magnificent week… Amen? 🫡

Wow just wow is all i can say been a busy weekend so no chance to jump on here but these players are playing absolutely remarkable, yes looked tired this time round to be expected, was shaky when Konsa came off , Dendocker coming on made me more shaky, did some well time tackles but also gave the ball away sloppily, Mcginn was electrifying and the Youri x Leon link up play is top class , level of understanding within this team and the way the ball is worked up the pitch is glorious to watch.

Ty (arsenal fan tv) is a b**tard he wanted us relegated last time around but look what we gave him , thing is i dont mind arsenal but their fans are the most annoying spoilt entitled w**kers.

15 in a row is remarkable and I celebrated that win like never before just exploded in joy at that full time whistle.

UTV 💜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Do they have the most annoying fan base? The competition is ripe these days but they are right up there. 

I don't think so, but they're easily the most articulate and vocal on UK social media when they do whinge. Still, they've degraded themselves this week, for sure. Depends how you define annoying. I find Liverpool supporters more entitled.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

It was the ref that didn’t give the penalty and gave the handball. If there was no VAR the same thing would have happened, there just wouldn’t have been some checks. 

I don’t get why everyone is hating on VAR after that game. 

As for the game they were the better team but they lost because they couldn't take their big chances. It’s a shame Arsenal fans can’t just admit that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

So they say, Arsenal was deemed the better team...... based on what? possession.

If we had scored in the last 5 minutes of the game, the possession stats could have been different.

Arsenal are a top side, who are always going to be title contenders, so it would follow, that being a goal down so early, would necessitate them getting an equaliser....That motivated the ascertion, and subsequently the possession stats.

For all the huffing and puffing they failed....was they unlucky, maybe, but what about the times they were lucky....do they think they have a monopoly on claiming  luck?

Their fans need to get over themselves and have a bit of respect towards other teams.

I am as invested in this Villa Team as any fan......but I hope, when we lose, we have some respect for the opposition.....Being gracious in defeat, is a pre-requisite to being great winners and I believe our manager, is well primed for that, as is our captain.

There is no "side" to this Villa team, They are all respectful lads, but with a steely determination.............it will serve them well.....I love this team spirit UE has garnered, they say a team mirrors the manager, I think it does.

back to them...........Arsenal need a few lessons in being gracious in defeat, before having their eyes on glory.

PS they was lucky to beat Luton.

Â