ender4

23 hours ago, ender4 said:

I'm scared. We simply have to win if we want to keep in touch with top 5.

The other games should have all the big boys winning as well...

Spurs vs Palace.

Chelsea vs Brentford.

Arsenal vs Sheffield.

Newcastle vs Wolves.

Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest.

Only the Manchester Derby has dropped points by someone.

I don't think it's that cut and dried: Palace have a good home record under Hodgson (1 defeat in 9 home games since he returned) and even with their injuries up front I think they can sit in and make it difficult for Spurs (as they did to us for most of the game at VP). Brentford have started to turn the corner a bit in recent weeks and Chelsea have only won two of the last 6 (and only against Fulham and Burnley - both v poor sides). I think Brentford could get a draw at Stamford Bridge. And Wolves are well set up to play against the better teams (as we've seen against us and Man City) and can be v. effective on the counter. Plus, Newcastle exerted themselves a fair bit in midweek and have more injuries (no Isak or Murphy now). So again, I could see a draw for Wolves or even a win. Liverpool and Arsenal are probably bankers though.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

I've watched a few Luton games this season and their key attributes seem to be their ability to score from set pieces and their team spirit. They could have easily conceded 3 in the first half against Everton the other week, but they got their goals (both from set plays, both from Doughty crosses) and dug in until half-time and Everton ran out of steam after that. They will be looking to maximize opportunities from corners and free kicks and Doughty has a pretty consistent delivery, so we will have to be on it defensively (we were more solid against West Ham's bombardment, so that's encouraging). I didn't see their game vs Forest but by all accounts that swung on the substitutions made by Steve Cooper rather than anything Rob Edwards did, but credit to Luton for sticking at it and getting a draw. Also thought they were worth at least a point against Wolves and Spurs.

Since we're not playing next midweek I'd like us to start with a strong team and hopefully get the game won early so we can bring off some key players and give squad players some minutes in the second half. I don't think Emery will let us take any game in the league lightly so I hope/expect it's our best 11 that lines up on Sunday. They've got the lowest possession stats in the PL and don't tend to press much so I think this could be similar to the Palace game where we're trying to pick the lock. I fancy us to be able to pull them out of position and score though as we're continuing to improve at switching up our approach play which is making it harder and harder for opponents to know where the danger is going to come from.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I've watched a few Luton games this season and their key attributes seem to be their ability to score from set pieces and their team spirit.

So a poundland version of West Ham then which we just beat 4-1

• Like 2

Ought to win and expect we will, provided we respect them and don't make assumptions about the outcome. Nothing to suggest we won't respect them. They're not terrible, they work hard etc, and have been competitive in most games to a fair extent this season, but missing the class that makes the difference. But if they score early, or we get a man sent off for whatever reason, it could be a very difficult / frustrating afternoon. Hopefully not, but I'll take a 1-0 win now happily. 

Think it might be very similar team that started last night, except for the central defenders. I'd like to see Tielemanns continuing in that more advance role, build his confidence up. Diaby instead of Bailey maybe, and let Leon be an impact sub option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

So a poundland version of West Ham then which we just beat 4-1

Yeah, I guess it's the reality of being a newly promoted side - especially one with limited resources - that you are probably going to have to play Moyes-style defensive football and maximize counters and set pieces or risk getting battered every week (see Burnley). Luton do have a bit of tactical flexibility (they have played a back 5 at times) so we might see that on Sunday, which would probably make them even more defensive but maybe free up Doughty to support counters a bit more? 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

8 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Yeah, I guess it's the reality of being a newly promoted side - especially one with limited resources - that you are probably going to have to play Moyes-style defensive football and maximize counters and set pieces or risk getting battered every week (see Burnley). Luton do have a bit of tactical flexibility (they have played a back 5 at times) so we might see that on Sunday, which would probably make them even more defensive but maybe free up Doughty to support counters a bit more? 

I quite like Ogbene on the right for them. He can get them up the pitch reasonably quickly with his bustling and dribbling style and he'll be looking for some one on ones with Pau.

Beyond that it's a case of waiting for Marvellous to pass us the ball in midfield. I'm sure he'll get a good reception pre match.

• Like 1

In the old days I would think this a banana skin just waiting for us, but I'm positive that Unai will have plan. He always does! I also faith that our players won't be a bunch of headless chooks on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In the old days I would think this a banana skin just waiting for us, but I'm positive that Unai will have plan. He always does! I also faith that our players won't be a bunch of headless chooks on the pitch.

Exactly. 'Typical Villa' is becoming something very different under Unai Emery. 'Typical' now means we beat teams below us on a very consistent basis and we surprise teams who think they're on the same level/above us also.

I think given his performance last night Tielemans deserves to start his first Prem game for us on Sunday so I'd give McGinn a well deserved rest in this one.

Other than that Konsa, Pau and Diaby back in so a front three of Watkins, Diaby, Bailey, midfield Kamara, Luiz and Tielemans in an advanced role, and the usual back four. 

I can't see anything but a win in this one but possibly closer than our recent home results would suggest. I'm going 3-0. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Honestly can't see Luton scoring. I may drop my 4.1 bet in preference to 5.0. Actually I  will do both. Come on 

4-1 and 5-0 bets.   I now think the score will be 4-0 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't think I've ever been this confident of a win, its actually disconcerting. I can't even remember the last time we haven't beaten a team we should beat in the Premier league. You could maybe say Wolves but that was away. Its an odd feeling.

• Like 2

This one could be harder for us than we hoped.

Uni is going to have to focus the players for a bit of a battle.

Full strength team for this one, the only players who stand a chance of coming in are Bailey and teilemens after yesterday, however I would be reluctant to use either from the start, not because they don't deserve it, because the first team have got an understanding and I wouldn't want that disrupted.

While zaniolo hasn't hit the ground running, he provides a more physical threat than Bailey and diaby will be the skillful one from the start.

Wouldn't want any of luiz kamara or mcginn not starting which means teilemens has to be on the bench.

Konsa and pau back in

We have a solid team and we have game changing subs. If we can score first in the first half, we will be hard to beat and could hopefully grab a few more but any win will do me 🤞🤞

• Like 1