ender4

49 minutes ago, blunther said:

Bit of a selection headache for this one now. Bailey and Tielemans have played themselves into the team. Assume Zaniolo drops out, but Diaby needs to come in too. Lenglet will be keeping Torres on his toes too. 

If we play youri, it has to be as a 10. He's just nowhere near as effective in the luiz and kamara positions

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, actually, that makes a lot of sense - I think we're really good against teams that want to play free flowing football against us, and we're really good against aggressive, physical teams, but we can struggle against teams that defend technically well, with good positioning and technique who set out to make themselves difficult to break down - I think we saw that in both of the European games and especially against Legia who broke better when the opportunities allowed.

I don't agree that we struggle with physicality, I think if you want to try to out attack us or outfight us we'll take you on, but we struggle to breakdown a well organised defensive side.

Wolves are most obvious example of that. Before injury time and 10 men we really didn't create much against them at all.

I've actually seen a decent amount of Luton this season just out of curiosity of what they'd be like in the prem. They are playing their hearts out for sure which must be respected but I really can't see how their backline is going to cope with what we have in the final third, it is pretty slow against any direct pace.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't score three times in this and you'd imagine just scoring twice will be enough for us to win the game but always nice to get the GD up, currently on + 14 from just 4 home games!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If we play youri, it has to be as a 10. He's just nowhere near as effective in the luiz and kamara positions

Can rest SJM for this. He's played a crazy amount in last 8-9 months when you look at all the minutes he's clocked up for Scotland aswell.

I'd like to see Tielemans start. Finally he lived up to the hype tonight so important we keep that momentum going.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned game plans

There are game plans

And there are Emery game plans. 

I would like Dendonker to be involved at some point, and I don't mean for the last  5 mins

We have SJM boubs, Dougie Your and JJ who can intermingle the only one who can't be intermingled is Boubs.  I just think we need to test ourselves without him. 

If you can't do it against Luton at home, when can you. 

Unless of course the con thinks Tim might be ready.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

They've just released the Upper Holte tickets they keep back for the Hospitality areas for this - so if you were looking to buy a few together, now's your chance.

I tried them first but just kept getting wrong pricing category so gave up and went for Upper Trinity instead

So, I did have a little look at views and moods of Luton Town fans online, and it's pretty interesting. They look at us how some of us probably look at Real Madrid.

In general, they seem still very thrilled merely to be playing PL football, and there's a very sane awareness of how their club and ours differs.

The forums for Luton Town fans are bewildering and just not nearly as active or well-developed as ours, which I guess is to be expected, so it takes a little work to figure it all out. There were lots of questions about travel/logistics and curiosity about Villa Park. Here's a sample of that:

"Looking for a bit of advice please. Two of us want to go to the game but our only chance is to get the Aston villa Premium package which will put us in the Holte end with them.

Somebody recently said they did something similar with Man utd away which gave me the idea. However, with Man utd apparently a fair few of those ticket buyers are neutrals, tourists, etc. So wondering whether anyone can advise on Villa? Will it work with good behaviour or is it a no go? TIA"

Too busy and CBA to register for a site, but what I saw is about what I expected, apart from the slightly poignant aspect of seeing fan base who still appreciate very much how big a deal it is to be in the PL. I suppose that sort of innocent joy can't last forever, but it's nice to be reminded, and it's still how I feel about Villa right now in the Europa Conference!

I think they're hoping to find a way, somehow, to stay up and that larger perspective -- a mix of excitement and joy ("we're in the PL!!!!") and omnipresent threat -- colours the stuff I saw. Hope this doesn't sound too patronising!

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2