January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Rank the 6 on most likely to be sold this summer:

Duran, Bailey, Luiz, Kamara, Cash, JJ

Other than the deadwood I think it will be Luiz. He can command the highest price, I’d rather sell 1 than 2 and I don’t think Kamara is rated as he should be yet. 

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Modest spending in January will allow us to go big in summer with Pau/Diaby type signings.

We won't be. We have to sell a first team player. Otherwise its no signings.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think that none of us know how tight it will be. But i fully expect a big turnover in the summer both in and out. Might be the likes of Carlos Digne and Moreno swapped out for lower salaried , younger players. . Might be  Duran offloaded as we also 99% likely have Archer coming back. Or that with Archer being sold again and a new striker coming in. Mings might not be able to get fit and we bring in another left sided cb and lb like Hermoso.

Might be that Philogene comes back if as i suspect there is a buyback clause if they dont get promoted for a different price to one that is activated if they do. 

Monchi will be very busy thats for sure.  i dont expect us to just sit on our hands. We will be wheeling and dealing i reckon. 

8 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The window was v different this year for everyone with all of the financial rules looking large. However, I think we saw a step change at Villa: in how we approach the winter windows and how we're developing as a club.

- Solidifying the core group of 15 or 16 first team players: Emery likes a close-knit squad (might be our downfall) and getting through another window as part of his plans will galvanise the team (an opportunity to boost player confidence rather than rattle their cages by replacing them midway through a season)

- Removing players who are earning too much and contributing little

- Bringing in youngsters who can take squad places who might have a higher ceiling but who certainly have lower wage demands

- Bringing in players who are on the margin between the youth team and the senior team, with one eye on resale value and another on adding to the first team (hence the return of KKH)

- Loaning out youngsters to teams at all levels

I assume we're identifying players who can be brought in during the summer (perhaps on frees with one or two larger fee signings) to increase the stands of the first team.

Such a good post.

Logic, common sense and realism. 

More of this please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We’ll sell several I’d imagine.

I think it'll be any of:

Luiz

Ramsey

Martinez

Carlos

Mings

Digne

Coutinho

Duran

Chambers

Cash

Some outgoings will depend on our final table position and if we qualify for CL or not.

really interesting window tbh, no "high profile" signings, but some very intriguing youth/development signings.

Obviously could be boon or bust with regard to the signings, but it does look like we are building for the future.

Will be interesting to see just how much competition Nedeljkovic and Sousa are for the full back positions next season, or whether they go out on loan again?

Fingers crossed for Gauci, his highlight reels look very impressive, but obviously the step up to the Prem, is a big one.

Rogers.....who knows, he looks like he has all the physical tools for the PL, will be interesting to see how his game adapts to the PL.

Great to see investment in youth, fingers crossed they develop as we hope.

Also, was great to get Donk and Traore off the wage bill, just a pity we didnt manage to move Chambers and Hause.

Edited by MaVilla

7 minutes ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

I think we'll sell Digne and Cash to bring Frimpong in...and I'd be OK with that

Frimpong hasn't played fullback for a couple of seasons now

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Frimpong hasn't played fullback for a couple of seasons now

Maybe that’s the plan with Konsa and Nedeljkovic covering orthodox defensive duties on the right?

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Maybe that’s the plan with Konsa and Nedeljkovic covering orthodox defensive duties on the right?

The plan based on wish thinking signing? Frimpong is the new Sneijder

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

really interesting window tbh, no "high profile" signings, but some very intriguing youth/development signings.

Obviously could be boon or bust with regard to the signings, but it does look like we are building for the future.

Will be interesting to see just how much competition Nedeljkovic and Sousa are for the full back positions next season, or whether they go out on loan again?

Fingers crossed for Gauci, his highlight reels look very impressive, but obviously the step up to the Prem, is a big one.

Rogers.....who knows, he looks like he has all the physical tools for the PL, will be interesting to see how his game adapts to the PL.

Great to see investment in youth, fingers crossed they develop as we hope.

Also, was great to get Donk and Traore off the wage bill, just a pity we didnt manage to move Chambers and Hause.

Is that really the best picture they could find of Gauci? 

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think it'll be any of:

Luiz

Ramsey

Martinez

Carlos

Mings

Digne

Coutinho

Duran

Chambers

Cash

Some outgoings will depend on our final table position and if we qualify for CL or not.

I’m not sure I agree with that list but why some notable exceptions like Kamara and Watkins for example.  

I think Martinez and Luiz are more key for us than them two and I’m sure they could generate big fees.  

I’m not advocating for anybody to leave but they’ll be sellable as anybody else if selling a big player is on the cards.  

There would be a big auction and high premium if Watkins was up for sale for example.

Again I’m not advocating for anybody to be sold but the list should include everybody because there are reasons why any of them could be sold for big fees and reasons why big clubs would want them.

I don’t think they’ll sell a key/core player, I don’t think that’s the route they’ll go down unless a ridiculous bid came in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I actually think Konsa could generate a bit of interest this summer but I would be absolutely gutted to let him go.

Almost definitely 

But I think we would be insane to let him go, the negative reaction would be massive

I also very naively think that he's one of a couple of players (mings, Watkins) who wouldn't be asking his agent to put the feelers out there, not saying if man city came in for him he wouldn't be interested but I don't see it as being him who is instructing his agent to make the call for him 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Who says so? All this is speculation. Being careful with ffp doesn't mean we have to sell our best players. We already have more money coming in with the Addidas deal. Then which European competition will we be in? 

We will be in a better position next season without any more big signings. Sousa and Nedeljovic are huge talents and will sure up our full back positions. Rogers will be in a better position to impact the first team. So to Duran. Ming and Buendia will be back. We will be stronger next season just by keeping squad as is. Then if we more on Digne, and the deadwood we will be better with ffp.

• Like 1

Could Gauci be Dibu's replacement come summer and Dibu the big shock exit? We'd get huge money and a similar replacement for just £1m?! Gauci looks to have similar traits and is just 23, which isn't too young for a keeper?

Hope I'm wrong and Gauci is coming in as number 2, but I've just got a cut feeling Emi could be the FFP forced exit.