January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Yeah I knew that one was coming I’m not the type to call out players and moan about them being shi*t I wasn’t pointing that the players were poor but in terms of running the club sustainably they weren’t smart moves. I agree with your last point regarding Dinge and to some degree Alex Moreno fits that category despite being half the fee of Dinge but the other players mentioned have been waste of resources because Steven Gerrard wanted “International experience” at the club. Olsen was one I missed.

Yeah - the less said about the rest of the list the better. 😉

35 minutes ago, allani said:

I think the chances of us beating Atletico Madrid to his signature at this point in time were pretty much zero.  So I don't think he was a transfer we've missed out on.

Well I disagree, our league is by far the favoured destination for players, and then it is down to player development and how often his is likely to play.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Well I disagree, our league is by far the favoured destination for players, and then it is down to player development and how often his is likely to play.

We haven't finished in the top 3 of the PL for 30 years.  Atletico haven't finished outside the top 3 of La Liga for years.  We haven't played in Europe for 20 odd seasons.  Atletico have reached the knock-out stages of the CL nine times in the last 11 seasons and lost in the final twice.  One of the seasons they got knocked out in the Group Stage of the CL they went on and won the Europa League.

Emery and Monchi are taking us places for sure - but we are not on the same level as Atletico at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A lot to get done over the next 6 hours or so:

Chambers out?

Gauci and Sousa confirmed

Many loans to be confirmed (Sousa to Argyle, O’Reilly, Feeney, plus one other to Real Union. Bogarde to Sunderland/other Championship team?

Have I missed anything?

7 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Chambers out?

Many loans to be confirmed (Sousa to Argyle, O’Reilly, Feeney, plus one other to Real Union. Bogarde to Sunderland/other Championship team?

Have I missed anything?

Mbappe to sign last minute…he’s been waiting for the Emery call

10 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Chambers out?

Have I missed anything?

1 down.

Sousa confirmed (by Plymouth)

2 hours ago, allani said:

We haven't finished in the top 3 of the PL for 30 years.  Atletico haven't finished outside the top 3 of La Liga for years.  We haven't played in Europe for 20 odd seasons.  Atletico have reached the knock-out stages of the CL nine times in the last 11 seasons and lost in the final twice.  One of the seasons they got knocked out in the Group Stage of the CL they went on and won the Europa League.

Emery and Monchi are taking us places for sure - but we are not on the same level as Atletico at the moment.

I take your point even if the dates are a bit off but it really isn’t what I am talking about.

• Like 2

Just heard we are the third highest spending team in the January now Palace have signed Wharton with Spurs also above us. FFP has really impacted this window.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Mbappe to sign last minute…he’s been waiting for the Emery call

Emery doesn't need to sell him the club, just sell him the weed. He'll find enough of that in Brum. 

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Is Fabrizio sitting at BMH tweeting all of this out?

Said yesterday his social media followers is close to 20m, our official club page is about 2m

Hes not leaking stuff through secret contacts, clubs are using him because he's got a wider reach than them, more people will see Romano announce the signing than they will when we do it officially 

• Like 3