January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

We probably couldn't afford it, or he may not want to come, but if we got Champs League football I wouldn't mind us going for Joelinton. Gives us a lot of physicality and high pressing and can play in numerous positions. 

Would probably mean us selling one or two players though 

Quite pleased with the window, in light of FFP. A good, sustainable team is built around 11-15 solid, first team players with young hungry players in each position trying to take their place. 

Looks like we are slowly erasing the errors / short termism of the Gerrard tenure and going back to building sustainably. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

Quite pleased with the window, in light of FFP. A good, sustainable team is built around 11-15 solid, first team players with young hungry players in each position trying to take their place. 

Looks like we are slowly erasing the errors / short termism of the Gerrard tenure and going back to building sustainably. 

Definitely but how much of that Gerrard short termism was on Purslow & Lange also absolute mess considering the profile of player we signed under Smith I surprised they actually sanctioned these transfers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Talking about our financial year cost changes for the final 5 months of our financial year in relation to PSR for the outgoings and incomings.

Traore going prob saved us about ~£2m in wages. We got £2.5m for Azaz. We got Dendonker loan fee and wages covered prob about ~£3.5m.

New Signings would cost us less than that. Rogers about ~£2m Ned £0.8m and no more than £1m for the others. 

Traore was probably paid off to some degree but agree with the rest.

The window was v different this year for everyone with all of the financial rules looking large. However, I think we saw a step change at Villa: in how we approach the winter windows and how we're developing as a club.

- Solidifying the core group of 15 or 16 first team players: Emery likes a close-knit squad (might be our downfall) and getting through another window as part of his plans will galvanise the team (an opportunity to boost player confidence rather than rattle their cages by replacing them midway through a season)

- Removing players who are earning too much and contributing little

- Bringing in youngsters who can take squad places who might have a higher ceiling but who certainly have lower wage demands

- Bringing in players who are on the margin between the youth team and the senior team, with one eye on resale value and another on adding to the first team (hence the return of KKH)

- Loaning out youngsters to teams at all levels

I assume we're identifying players who can be brought in during the summer (perhaps on frees with one or two larger fee signings) to increase the stands of the first team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Modest spending in January will allow us to go big in summer with Pau/Diaby type signings.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Only way we spend that much money on two players is if we sell one of our better players. I can't see us spending £70-100m unless we move someone like Luiz, Ramsey, Kamara, Bailey etc, on. Will be a bold decision if we do. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of buying plenty of low risk, cheaper players. Some may work out, some wont, basically no risk attached. 

I always liked the idea of our signings under Lambert, the cheaper, young, unproven players from the lower or foreign leagues, the problem back then was they came in to be first teamers. Now we can actually develop them and not rely on them before just throwing them in the deep on. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Modest spending in January will allow us to go big in summer with Pau/Diaby type signings.

All depends on getting Champions League. If we get in there then the budget goes up a lot. Otherwise I don't think we will be able to spend £50m+ on one player.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I like the idea of buying plenty of low risk, cheaper players. Some may work out, some wont, basically no risk attached. 

I always liked the idea of our signings under Lambert, the cheaper, young, unproven players from the lower or foreign leagues, the problem back then was they came in to be first teamers. Now we can actually develop them and not rely on them before just throwing them in the deep on. 

Actually one of our best windows was the summer where we relegated. Our main issue was losing the spine (Delph, Benteke and Vlaar). If we added who we got to them, we might have had a good team. Gueye, Veretout, Ayew, Traore all had a very good careers, Amavi I didn’t follow but he had a great potential before the injury. 
Sometimes, one or two mistakes change the whole story, 

Richards and Lescott (proven ones) were our main issues. Sherwood had a very successful half season then lost it all. 

I think this window gave us a very good idea on how well our board are improving in the game. You could see ruthless we didn’t used to. The good thing it’s agreed with Emery, and a full picture by even partnering with Emery club. 

Sometimes managers keep asking and demanding, it serms our manager is pushing for us to be savy and build slowly. The way of utilizing the squad (using Tim and Kesler), while sending loans. All of that while we’ll be facing tough second half of season which we might lose 4th or 5th, but there were no panic there. Like last season, add little and try to utilize. This season it’s going to be tough as well as we have other competitions. Hopefully we qualify in the FA Cup as well. 
The good thing is that we’re not risking long term success because of short term vision. While trying to have as much success as we can.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Traore was probably paid off to some degree but agree with the rest.

I don't think so he probably, agreed to mutually cancel contract and he would get a signing on fee at Villarreal. So he's not down on any income really and he probably was keen to join Villarreal as it's a club in one of the top leagues. 

He knows he could easily get injured again and he won't be playing. So I'm sure he had to jump at this opportunity 

One of the encouraging things of this window is that Duran has a demand despite the fact that he isn’t really playing. Clubs are looking at Villa scouting in a different way. Yes they do see something in Duran, but it seems that the (Villa factor) is branding itself very well. It helped for deals with Archer and Ramsey (although their performances are questionable) but we’re getting there. 
The faith Emery put in Tim and Kesler after all of us questioned him not playing Tim says that we’re carefully trying to help our strategy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Rank the 6 on most likely to be sold this summer:

Duran, Bailey, Luiz, Kamara, Cash, JJ

Cash, Duran, JJ, Luiz, Kamara, Bailey.

I'm pretty confident Cash will go. I don't think he fits the way Emery wants to play and as a club we're now stretching beyond his level. Konsa would be playing right back if our central defence was more stable (Pau out, Carlos and Lenglet in poor form). Duran I think us more likely to be loaned out and we bring in a more experienced striker on loan in the meantime, but may go if Chelsea etc still want him and we could make a decent profit. We won't want to sell JJ Luiz or Kamara but one of them may be our big exit to fund our other business. Can't see us selling Bailey or Bailey wanting to leave us, as good as he is right now he's not been consistent enough over his time at Villa to warrant a bigger move.

48 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Rank the 6 on most likely to be sold this summer:

Duran, Bailey, Luiz, Kamara, Cash, JJ

Duran, Cash, JJ, Bailey, Luiz, Kamara