January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We desperately need a signing. This thread has taken a very unusual turn. It’s all gone a bit Judith Chalmers (one for the kids). For what it’s worth I absolutely love London and Dublin. Both absolutely fantastic cities. I’d give Glasgow a 7/10 too. None too shabby at all………Having said that, I live in Leicester which sets a very low bar!

Don’t beat yourself up to much I used to live in Redditch!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, thabucks said:

Birmingham is a massive shit hole and once second city is now no longer. Also Aston is an even bigger one … And brummies bless them so nothing but whine and moan. Give me LDN 9 times out 10 over Birmingham - yeah I said it ! The cultural hotspot of brum is a library which don’t many visit and the bull ring. 

As true as this might be it probably won’t go down well on a Brum based football team forum! 

London has no soul!  Give me Walsall any day. 

Anyway back on topic, Smith-Rowe would be a decent signing on a free. When’s his contract end?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is Dublin bad now? I lived there 12 years, never had a problem

I'm from there. Used to be lovely. Is shockingly unsafe now. And no this is not an immigrants thing - it's the locals!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Some American called Landon something … already been written off as shit by some 😆

Michael? 
that would be an angelic signing

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Who is this London guy we are signing?

Player-Manager of his team. Is admittedly supremely talented (as one of the world's best players in the Financial Services role), and is one of the best paid players today. However, there's been so much in the way of attention and wages solely directed towards him over the years that the rest of his team has arguably suffered from a lack of focus and chronic underinvestment.

Edited by wishywashy

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Tell me you're a Tory voter without telling me you're a Tory voter.

That's not the description I'd use, but 100% yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Dear VT,

Yesterday, I made a joke about Smith-Rowe not wanting to leave Lahdahn in the transfer window thread. It seems to have created a monster. I understand that my actions were wrong. 

The transfer window thread, usually home to such incisive and thought-provoking comments and airplane spotting has devolved into something dangerous, off topic and, above all, something very unlike VillaTalk. Visitors to the thread are confused, dazed and unsettled by this course of events. While some may say that Alison Brie and fish puns were the depths of this thread in days gone by, I know in my heart that we’ve now sunk to a worse plaice. I’m deeply disappointed by my actions.

In the last twenty four hours, my family and I have struggled to come to terms with the response. This has been a traumatic day for us all. I hope VT and the wider public will understand my need for privacy at this difficult time. 

Sexually yours,

KRM

I was wondering wtf was going on in the thread and couldn't find a clue. Nor was I willing to travel through all the pages FFS 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, allani said:

12 months ago - there were plenty of people on here moaning about why we couldn't do what Brighton do and sign a load of young / unknown players that go on to become megastars.  Now we have reputedly one of  the best football men in Europe in charge of our recruitment and some people are moaning about us not signing ready-made megastars or players that Liverpool or Spurs are chasing.  Monchi has a reputation for signing first team players in the summer and development players in the winter.  It makes a lot of sense - Pau Torres would have cost more last January because it would have been harder to replace him.  Kosta might be cheaper now because if he does get any more international caps over the next few months then he might start attracting the attention of more clubs.

Villa Fans just like moaning, it’s the same on match days with people whinging in the ground.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Didn't he use us to sign a new contract when Smith was in charge? 

Anyway, it's a no from me for Smith-Rowe, overpriced, overrated english player who's also injury prone. We could probably get someone from La Liga just as good if not better for a fraction of the price.

I never really get the 'he used us to get a new contract' thing.  What probably happened is we bid, Arsenal turned it down and offered him a new contract because back then he was one of the best prospects at the club.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never really get the 'he used us to get a new contract' thing.  What probably happened is we bid, Arsenal turned it down and offered him a new contract because back then he was one of the best prospects at the club.

Yep because an agent has never created interest in their player to get a better contract from their current club 🤔

ESR was in the final few months of his contract and we stuck in a cheeky bid that seemed to upset Arsenal, think our timing probably boosted his salary demands up quite a bit.

Obviously Emery may know ESR from his stint there, Saka singing Emery's style today in the press, (must upset Arteta a bit ). If Emery wants him then so be it but I doubt he does, ESR seems happy to sit on Arsenal's bench  probably on 100k + doing it.

• Like 1