January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Not that I disagree but as I alwqys understood it the value of a player contract surely comes into it.  So, a player on 2 year remaining contract and 60k a week will be worth x amount. If they are snapped by another Club and given a 5 year deal on 100k they are now obviously going to be more expensive to buy?

Yeah for sure but they do reactive updates. Grealish was listed as 35m with us when he was obviously worth much more. If he was playing for Arsenal et al before City bought him would be valued much higher i.e. made up bullshit

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the 2024 exits on permanent basis would be the following.

End of Loan: Lenglet and Zaniolo (possibly he signs)

Fringe players: Sanson, Chambers, Traore, Hause, Olsen, Dendoncker

Youth Players: KKH and Iroegbunam, possibly one more. 

Regular starters: Cash, Digne

We also need to get Coutinho back out on Loan with wages covered as we have today. 

Assume this window we sign Rogers, have the new GK and the young RB. 

THis leaves us with a key RB signing ala Frimpong. We need a CDM as an alternative to Kamara. I feel we need a right footed winger (Philogene back?) and we need a new LB ideally young to compete with Moreno.

That will all be a big ask to pull off and will be a big success if we do.

Aside from this, I reckon Transfermarkt out what they view as " True Value " when it comes to players, whereas we know the actual transfer market doesn't work like that.

Many things come into play imo, as you say contract value, years remaining, importance of the player to a club, how badly a club wants a player, which window they want him in etc 

Edit: Sadly, yes, the higher the profile of club they play for, the higher the premium also.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I see Hakon Valdimarsson has reacted to being linked with us. “It’s big. They’re [Aston Villa] a top club in the Premier League and they play very well. It’s great to see that they are interested. It shows that I have played well last season.”

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/ab6j25/elfsborgs-hakon-valdimarsson-om-aston-villas-bud?utm_medium=SocialEchobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=170569

JJ is not “dispensable”… one of our most important players and our first choice LM (one of our few right footers 😆)…

The injury has been a setback for us and his progress… had been one of our shining lights and scored important goals…

That left side of Moreno and JJ was one of our constant highlights last season and will be again once they’re fully recovered this time around… we’ll be a much better side for it. They are the preferred and most important players in those positions.

Players have had to “fill in” on the left just because of Ramsey’s injury and not been as good or as effective…. We’ve been waiting on him.

He’s going nowhere and is highly valued… people have short memories and are desperate to sell our players for some reason… enough…

Edited by Jas10

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Who cares about what transfermarkt values a player at ? I use it to see injury records and positions played …

Agreed, just responding to posts using it as a "reliable" player valuation tool

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

What’s all this Ramsey talk? Has there been speculation or are we doing angry Frank again and getting angry about something that is never going to happen. 

FWIW wouldn’t want us to sell Ramsey but for FFP purposes I bet it would help a lot.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s all this Ramsey talk? Has there been speculation talk or are we doing angry Frank again and getting angry about something that is never going to happen. 

FWIW wouldn’t want us to sell Ramsey but for FFP purposes I bet it would help a lot.

VT pontificating 

It’s BS is what it is… this constant talk of selling key players is tiring…

I’m sure that we’re not actively looking to sell anyone important, this FFP thing is being largely overblown and exaggerated, just… if we get a crazy offer for someone then we’ll at least consider it.

But our priority is continuing to “trim the fat” off our squad… the only players actually named as available are Chambers and Traore. And, as reported, if a reasonable offer comes in for Dendoncker (no loans) he will be sold.

We’re not actively looking to weaken the team, just look at Unai’s comments… he said we don’t want to lose the potential of the team and selling players for money is not wise, it’s extremely difficult to replace important ones without it negatively impacting the team and how hard it is to find replacements…

Why intentionally weaken the team then scramble around for a replacement? Someone like JJ is not at “peak value” rn either since injury and needing to recover form… we won’t undersell any player… he is a big part of our future anyway… we don’t need to pick out important players to offload… it’s silly. 

It’s not happening… but am I the only one who would be sickened and upset to see JJ at a different PL team, shining for them and being raved about… when Villa is the place where that should (and will) be happening?

He’s important and is one for our own… the suggestion itself is annoying… 

Wouldn’t look good and would upset many fans if we offloaded someone who is so ingrained in the club and so talented (especially if he was undervalued and sold for anything less than a crazy offer)… he’s one of our main players and representatives of the club…

Can’t wait to see him back and in form and shut this kind of talk up…

-

it’s going to take a huge offer for any of our important players to leave, we rejected offers in the summer without a second thought too - this was reported on.

I wouldn’t be too worried… we have major ambitions…

• Like 2

The Duran business is so bizarre. If we’re going to sell him, we’re going to want at least £20m. I’d suspect closer to £30m. But who is going to pay that? Given FFP and the fact he is still unproven for the most part.

A loan doesn’t really benefit us either. 

Just can’t see this one ending in anything other than him staying. Certainly until the Summer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The Duran business is so bizarre. If we’re going to sell him, we’re going to want at least £20m. I’d suspect closer to £30m. But who is going to pay that? Given FFP and the fact he is still unproven for the most part.

Just can’t see this one ending in anything other than him staying. Certainly until the Summer. 

The player rightly wants to play more and any talented player should want that. However he's behind one of the best forwards in the league who's all round game is superb. It's a difficult one. 

I think he just stays and he will get more starting chances next season. He'll be getting more time off bench for rest of this one too. 

We should be a big pull for players like Morgan Gibbs White. A top 4 team where your going to get regular football, an not sit on the bench while Arsenal, Liverpool, play there regulars, he's not good enough for Man City.

13 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Why is there even a 'discussion' about swapping/selling JJ? 

The kid is class, he's suffered this season due to injury but he will regain form and will be a huge part of this club's future. 

I think it's more if we have to make a hypothetical Grealish type sale to meet FFP requirements in 18 months who fits it? SJM will be into his 30s then so won't be a huge price. Luiz might only have a year left on his deal then. Ideally you'd want to keep the midfield unit together and add younger elements to it rather than breaking it up.

If teams are going to be regularly deducted points now and Newcastle on missing out on CL this season are seriously talking about selling key players we'll probably reach that point in a year or two so we can't just ignore it.

The philosophy last summer was very clear aswell in who we sold.

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

West Ham is strange aswell as they hit a nice formula around xmas with Bowen as the CF and Kudus support striker, he isn't getting in ahead of either of those when they return in February.

Perhaps they know we just want cheap, experienced backup for Ollie and they want us to take Antonio when he's fit so a sort of loan swop but come on that deal wouldn't benefit us one little bit given how poor Antonio has been this season and he's well into his 30s now.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham is strange aswell as they hit a nice formula around xmas with Bowen as the CF and Kudus support striker, he isn't getting in ahead of either of those when they return in February.

Perhaps they know we just want cheap, experienced backup for Ollie and they want us to take Antonio when he's fit so a sort of loan swop but come on that deal wouldn't benefit us one little bit given how poor Antonio has been this season and he's well into his 30s now.

I don’t think we do want a cheap experienced back up to Ollie though tbh. I think we want someone like Duran, who’s slightly ahead of him perhaps in development. The main thing they want is someone that’s obviously not a total a*** which Duran clearly is behind the scenes. 

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think the 2024 exits on permanent basis would be the following.

End of Loan: Lenglet and Zaniolo (possibly he signs)

Fringe players: Sanson, Chambers, Traore, Hause, Olsen, Dendoncker

Youth Players: KKH and Iroegbunam, possibly one more. 

Regular starters: Cash, Digne

I can't see us selling Cash. Whether you like him or not, part of our problem right now is that we don't have a second RB as cover and have to shift Konsa over when we leave Cash out. No matter who we sign, we still need Cash as cover.