January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Looks like we are basically doing what we all do on Football Manager.  I've confidence our scouts are identifying the right talent.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

They have a higher ceiling than the players we are going for. And they signed Werner too.

Based on what? 

Werner has same amount of league goals as Duran this season 😂 a superstar

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Seems like our strategy this January window is just to sign a load of unknowns and no one for the first 11.

Hopefully we make up for it in the summer or we won’t continue to mix with the elite for long. 

Emery himself has said he's happy with the team (we're third in the league in case you hadn't noticed), we have players coming back from injury, and we won't be signing any first team players unless someone leaves, or a really good deal comes up (like Alex Moreno).  So, our January strategy is to supplement the squad with high potential youth players.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Spurs are so **** lucky. Any other club loses their superstar, regardless of how much they get for him, they have a dud season of rebuilding etc. Like we had with Jack leaving

Spurs sell Kane and somehow get better, and now get to reinvest all that money on the future. It's one rule for words removed and another for the rest of us.

I'm not sure it's luck, they invested in a new stadium and took the hit while it was being built, but because of it they have now doubled their income on matchdays and are near if not the top in terms of earnings for each game. They've steadily sold players for big money, but stayed at a similar level,  so recruitment, although mixed and occasionally wasteful, has been generally successful over a long period of time. In theory, they have loads of room in terms of FFP from the Kane sale and large income streams.

The only things they've done wrong is not to win anything, and to keep changing managers at a high cost.

I'd say the only luck involved was being able to use Wembley while their new stadium was built, but that's more just taking advantage of their location.

Essentially, they just took advantage when they got in the top 4 and the extra money it brings in. I hope we can too should we be there at the end of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Emery himself has said he's happy with the team (we're third in the league in case you hadn't noticed), we have players coming back from injury, and we won't be signing any first team players unless someone leaves, or a really good deal comes up (like Alex Moreno).  So, our January strategy is to supplement the squad with high potential youth players.    

That’s what I said. Hopefully the summer window is more ambitious.

Why are people so sensitive, blimey.

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That’s what I said. Hopefully the summer window is more ambitious.

It's the way you worded it - " A load of unknowns". These are players that have obviously been well scouted, and fit Emery's style for future squads, would you rather we didn't sign anyone? 

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I wouldn't worry, it doesn't take much to get a good argument going in a month with only 2 league games in it. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm not sure it's luck, they invested in a new stadium and took the hit while it was being built, but because of it they have now doubled their income on matchdays and are near if not the top in terms of earnings for each game. They've steadily sold players for big money, but stayed at a similar level,  so recruitment, although mixed and occasionally wasteful, has been generally successful over a long period of time. In theory, they have loads of room in terms of FFP from the Kane sale and large income streams.

The only things they've done wrong is not to win anything, and to keep changing managers at a high cost.

I'd say the only luck involved was being able to use Wembley while their new stadium was built, but that's more just taking advantage of their location.

Essentially, they just took advantage when they got in the top 4 and the extra money it brings in. I hope we can too should we be there at the end of the season.

This is all true and helpful of course, but I was genetically predisposed to superstition, why can't you just let me be!! 😅

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Based on what? 

Werner has same amount of league goals as Duran this season 😂 a superstar

The Werner love in from some VT members is bizarre. I mean maybe it works out with Angeball but I'm not convinced

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It's the way you worded it - " A load of unknowns". These are players that have obviously been well scouted, and fit Emery's style for future squads, would you rather we didn't sign anyone? 

But that isn’t untrue particularly. 

I think the players we are signing now won’t do anything for us this season, one we’re loaning back and the other likely won’t even make our bench so I wouldn’t be surprised if we loan him back to Boro too.

I don’t mean to be negative, we just haven’t been playing well recently and a top signing will have helped us. As I said, hopefully our signings in the summer will be more ambitious, I just hope our lack of proper strengthening in January doesn’t cause us to finish outside the top 4.

Edited by Leeroy

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I don’t mean to be negative, we just haven’t been playing well recently and a top signing will have helped us.

Clubs make signings every season that don't work out. If I could be bothered, I can't, I could list several Liverpool players hundreds of millions have been spent on last half decade that have barely kicked a ball and gone into obscurity. Don't need to say Arsenal have gone backwards with Havertz because all the pundits have said it already. We've struggled lately because Torres out etc. Buying a new player isn't a panacea. Several of our signings last few seasons haven't been that great. I don't buy into the logic sign someone... anyone = improvement. We're top 3 right now

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But that isn’t untrue particularly. 

I think the players we are signing now won’t do anything for us this season, one we’re loaning back and the other likely won’t even make our bench so I wouldn’t be surprised if we loan him back to Boro too.

I don’t mean to be negative, we just haven’t been playing well recently and a top signing will have helped us. As I said, hopefully our signings in the summer will be more ambitious, I just hope our lack of proper strengthening in January doesn’t cause us to finish outside the top 4.

And this is your mistake for assuming they would, none of the young players we're close to signing are for this season. Our current squad is fine, we'll get back to our best when injured players return.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, supermon said:

Finally something interesting....erm I know nothing about him lol

Edit. A forward that can play across the front three but predominantly as a 2nd striker from the left. Exactly what we need, he sure has the physique and from the 1 minute I've seen so far can strike a ball

Looked good against us in the Cup and decent against Chelsea. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The Werner love in from some VT members is bizarre. I mean maybe it works out with Angeball but I'm not convinced

Yep would be shouts of Monchi hasnt a clue if we went for him

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, duke313 said:

And this is your mistake for assuming they would, none of the young players we're close to signing are for this season. Our current squad is fine, we'll get back to our best when injured players return.

our squad is not fine, injury to one of 4 players see's the teams output completely change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

our squad is not fine, injury to one of 4 players see's the teams output completely change.

Literally the same for all the teams around us 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2