Romelu Lukaku

nick76

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Would anybody take him on loan paying (let’s say) 50% wages which I think would be about £160k per week….assume an option to buy at the end of the loan?

Even though I started the thread I still don’t know how I feel about this link so just hypothetically put out a loan idea for discussion

Nope.  I just don't see how it fits in with everything that Emery has said / implied in the past.  Emery's success has been with players who play according to the requirements of the team.  I mean I can see why Gerrard would want to sign Lukaku...  I just think under Emery we will be a team that is better than the sum of its parts.  That doesn't mean we won't try and sign brilliant players - but I do think that a key part of the scouting / recruitment process will be players that will do what Emery wants them to do - not players who will expect Emery to change everything to do what they want.  I think the interest in players like Ferran, Chiesa, Diaby, Johnson etc make sense because you can see them fitting into the team ethos.   Lukaku just always gives the impression that he'd be happy to lose 3-2 as long as he scored the two goals.  Maybe that is being unfair - but it just feels like we'd be moving in a different (wrong) direction.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

We are not at a level where we can turn down the opportunity to sign the likes of Lukaku and Felix. They are both a level above anything we have at ST and AM. To suggest you wouldn't have either player at Villa is madness! 

Could have said the same thing when we were linked with Coutinho and that's turned out pretty badly.  FWIW I'd definitely take Felix, not Lukaku.

Great player, would score goals in most PL teams and his stints at United and Chelsea were so stop start that he never showed what he could really do. His PL goalscoring records alone speaks for itself.

However, he just wouldn't fit our system. He's almost the complete opposite of the type of striker we need. I also think there's no chance we are going anywhere near his wages.

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Would anybody take him on loan paying (let’s say) 50% wages which I think would be about £160k per week….assume an option to buy at the end of the loan?

Even though I started the thread because I saw the link, I still don’t know how I feel about this link so just hypothetically put out a loan idea for discussion

Instead of Lucas Digne.. my answer is yes

Lukaku is incredibly underrated if you ask me, people think becaus ehe's so big he should be this amazing hulk up front. He's not very good with his back to goal but running on to through balls he's among the best there is. Got great feet, he's not a hold the ball up battling number 9, he's like owen/scevchenko but twice the size of both of them put together.

30 is getting on a bit though, so I'd be against it for that reason. Not sure there's value in giving him his last big contract.

• Like 2

Â