Missing Submersible

chrisp65

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It is very sad, the reality it it. Seems a massive waste of lives and resources for so little, really. The Titanic wreck just doesn't seem all that interesting even. If they were going down to examine the Holy Grail or an underwater temple built by extraterrestrials or a city of living merpeople, I could understand.  

To some folk the Titanic is the holy grail, I'd probably prefer the underwater temple built by Aliens though. As as soon as the sea level drops sufficiently I shall wander around looking for one 

• Like 1

Although VT is obviously pretty well-qualified when it comes to submersible design, James Cameron knows even more than we do about it.

Here’s what he’s got to say about the disaster - basically, there’s no excuse for disasters like this happening these days. Interesting little interview, I didn’t realise that it was such a solved problem these days (assuming you’re not trying to cut corners to save money).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Least it would have been quick. 4,000 tonnes per square metre of pressure. 

So like this then except its 4000 tons not 150 and it all happened in less than a quarter of a millisecond?

Physics really can be terrifying.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This arrogant guy killed his own son in effect. I've just had a boy myself and can't stop thinking about this one.

image.jpeg.c93c35102b109ce1680d424d07822ef5.jpeg

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Least it would have been quick. 4,000 tonnes per square metre of pressure. 

Yeah, if you're going to die in a sub<something> that's the way to go. They'd be dead before they knew it. The alternative was days of fear and then waiting to see if hypothermia or CO2 poisoning kills you first.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This arrogant guy killed his own son in effect. I've just had a boy myself and can't stop thinking about this one.

Could have been the sons idea/wish and the dad agreed as long as he was with him?

Makes for horrific reading given what almost certainly happened.

https://fortune.com/2023/06/21/titan-titanic-missing-sub-david-lochridge-safety-concerns-sacked-oceangate-stockton-rush-hamish-harding/

In a 2018 lawsuit, David Lochridge—who began working as OceanGate’s director of marine operations in 2015—alleged that he was sacked after pointing out to the company that the submersible had not been built or tested to suitable safety standards, potentially putting passengers “milliseconds from implosion.”

Lochridge, a qualified submarine pilot and underwater inspector with “extensive experience,” was trained to “recognize flaws and points of failure in subsea equipment,” he said in court filings seen by Fortune.

Lochridge warned that the constant pressure on the Titan as it traveled deeper underwater would weaken any existing structural flaws, resulting in large tears to its carbon components. It was crucial, he said, to conduct non-destructive testing so that a solid and safe product could be provided for both passengers and crew.

Diving the submersible “without any non-destructive testing to prove its integrity” would “subject passengers to potential extreme danger in an experimental submersible,” Lochridge said in legal documents.

However, OceanGate allegedly told Lochridge that instead of carrying out the testing, it would install an acoustic monitoring system in the submersible to detect the start of any potential hull breakdown. Lochridge expressed concern that such an acoustic system would not be able to detect existing flaws. It would simply flag components that were about to fail, he warned—which often happened “milliseconds before an implosion.”

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

So like this then except its 4000 tons not 150 and it all happened in less than a quarter of a millisecond?

Physics really can be terrifying.

i can't find it anymore but i saw a chart about what happens to things at certain depths. for example at a couple of hundred feet a champagne cork would be forced inside the bottle. at about 1000ft a skuba tank would implode. so imagine what happens at 4000 ft...you're dead within a second

i know people theorised about dying from lack of oxygen being a peaceful experience, but this would've been quicker than a bullet to the head IMO

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i can't find it anymore but i saw a chart about what happens to things at certain depths. for example at a couple of hundred feet a champagne cork would be forced inside the bottle. at about 1000ft a skuba tank would implode. so imagine what happens at 4000 ft...you're dead within a second

i know people theorised about dying from lack of oxygen being a peaceful experience, but this would've been quicker than a bullet to the head IMO

Unreal that creatures actually live down there.

Explosive decompression. They will be mist. NZ news show had interview with guy who warned against unregulated sub tourism explaining pressurized chamber and how if it was breached would be fatal event. Dumb news lady replies so did they run out of oxygen like was feared all week then the news panel after wonder about chances of recovering the bodies

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Explosive decompression. They will be mist. NZ news show had interview with guy who warned against unregulated sub tourism explaining pressurized chamber and how if it was breached would be fatal event. Dumb news lady replies so did they run out of oxygen like was feared all week then the news panel after wonder about chances of recovering the bodies

News readers gotta keep asking the hard hitting questions lol

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

The chat about recovering bodies seems highly optimistic to me. Just not remotely possible is it. Even if they weren't splattered to bits you aren't going to find them

Yeah, there won’t be any bodies. They’re dust

Â