Missing Submersible

chrisp65

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'm not sure a fart is going to help matters!

It would be very difficult to apportion the blame on someone else as well

It's startling to me how similar tragedies pop up like this through history. They often involve someone daring who gets themselves stuck just beyond the reach of the current era's tech.  With Floyd Collins, there was the same slow, sad realisation that time left alive was outpacing the rescuers' ability to bring him up from the cave.

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's startling to me how similar tragedies pop up like this through history. They often involve someone daring who gets themselves stuck just beyond the reach of the current era's tech.  With Floyd Collins, there was the same slow, sad realisation that time left alive was outpacing the rescuers' ability to bring him up from the cave.

Err...let's hope any similarities don't continue with Floyd's story for much longer. That is one wild story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Err...let's hope any similarities don't continue with Floyd's story for much longer. That is one wild story. 

Yea, sending in inexperienced cave miners from the 1800s really does seem like a foolish thing.

• Haha 3

OK.........here goes..........

Imagine you were in that situation. 

There's only enough oxygen for 10 hours. But that's based on 5 people breathing it.   

If only 1 person is breathing you have 50 hours.  

If the sub is found with 1 survivor and he's killed the other 4,  is he a survivor or a mass murderer? 

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

OK.........here goes..........

Imagine you were in that situation. 

There's only enough oxygen for 10 hours. But that's based on 5 people breathing it.   

If only 1 person is breathing you have 50 hours.  

If the sub is found with 1 survivor and he's killed the other 4,  is he a survivor or a mass murderer? 

Interesting thought experiment - if a bit grim. I'd think that's murder tbh.

Another question. If you're the father, do you kill yourself to buy your son a few more hours until rescue?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Another question. If you're the father, do you kill yourself to buy your son a few more hours until rescue?

How would you kill yourself? The only way I can think of doing it would be to bite your own wrists and bleed out in that scenario. I’m not sure anyone could do it. 

Edited by Follyfoot

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

How would you kill yourself? The only way I can think of doing it would be to bite your own wrists and bleed out in that scenario. I’m not sure anyone could do it. 

I think suicide would be virtually impossible. But there is a thin line between murder and assisting suicide. 

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You could just sing "it's a small world" and the other 4 would just die after about hour 12. 

29 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I wasn't really thinking about the "how" of it. Just at what point as a father you'd make the decision to give your son the best chance possible to be saved.

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I wasn't really thinking about the "how" of it. Just at what point as a father you'd make the decision to give your son the best chance possible to be saved.

I know mate, I was just following the logical curve having made the decision to sacrifice yourself for your son on the next problem of how to do it

Sod being in that situation

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I would be testing the CEO's commitment to customer service and the safety of his customers being top priority.  

I would imagine the sub undoubtedly had diving knives on board.  That would solve the "how" question. 

Â