Missing Submersible

chrisp65

I have spent far too long this morning looking into the development and engineering of Deepsea Challenger and the upshot is this Ron Allum fella knows an awful lot about submersibles. 

On 23/06/2023 at 07:31, Mic09 said:

Some people do things. Jump out of airplanes, dive underwater, swim with sharks, go into space.

Other sit on their sofa and get a heart attack at age of 40.

Sure you can minimise the risks in your life, but some people live for the thrill. 

I love mountain hiking. Setting off early morning, walking all day and getting back in the evening. I know people who laugh at it and don't understand it.

Everyone has their thing. 

Yeah but there are risks you take that are unavoidable or part of the thrill … and there are risks that are just moronic refusal to follow basic principles.

The choices aren’t limited to either sitting on your arse all day, or your brain imploding under the sea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah but there are risks you take that are unavoidable or part of the thrill … and there are risks that are just moronic refusal to follow basic principles.

Totally right. When I was learning to hang glide one of the days was deemed too dangerous to have novices leaping off cliffs, so they offered us a chance to have a trip in a microlight aircraft. We went to the airfield , those of us who’d said yes.  Once we saw the thing not one of us actually took up the offer. Happy to hurl ourselves of a cliff under a hang glider, but no siree Bob to that obvious death trap.

Its sad that the spidey senses of the passengers didn’t kick in for the sub.

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Wow. Didn't expect to see this thread resurface. 

Are you subbed to this thread?

Fwiw tonight on R4’s The Moral Maze they are discussing whether the sub was worthy of more news coverage than the migrant ship in the Med and what part colour and money may have played.

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Fwiw tonight on R4’s The Moral Maze they are discussing whether the sub was worthy of more news coverage than the migrant ship in the Med and what part colour and money may have played.

I'll make sure I miss that then. 🥱

On 23/06/2023 at 19:47, av1 said:
  Hide contents

Wasn’t that Monkhouse? 

I get the impression the punchline was provided for McIntyre fans because they're the type that need all the help they can get. Not because he came up with the joke.

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Suspected human remains found in the wreckage. Not very many I would guess.

A bit morbid but my reaction when they announced this last night was "how badly must the remains be **** up for them to say suspected"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

A bit morbid but my reaction when they announced this last night was "how badly must the remains be **** up for them to say suspected"

Some of the debris has a strange splatter effect. 

Â