Missing Submersible

chrisp65

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

the key difference with this, is that the regulations for this sort of thing are full of holes apparently, one of which being that this takes place in international waters where you can basically do what you like.

Whilst they are operating in international waters, they have a headquarters in the USA and must abide by their laws. You'd hope there would be something that would support the customers and require strict safety controls. People won't have been signing up and paying for the expedition in international waters. 

8 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

why did the world put so much effort and cost into trying to find 8 millionaires lost so far under sea? Compare it to the efforts and attention given to the 500 people who lost lives in the Mediterranean in the week. Disappointing state of our world. 

In summary, it is a more interesting story. I don't think it is about the wealth of the individuals. The Thai kids stuck in a cave, and the Chilean miners weren't rich, but the story captured peoples imagination.

Unfortunately migrant boats don''t, as they are a fairly common occurrence, sadly. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Thread still going, I thought it would drop like a stone.

It'll implode any minute. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

James Cameron suggesting they probably knew there was a problem and were trying to ascend before it blew. 

There's just no shutting this prick up this week

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

James Cameron suggesting they probably knew there was a problem and were trying to ascend before it blew. 

There’s no way anyone could even know that. No point in him speculating at this stage. 
I just hope they didn’t have a period of panic before the thing imploded. Would rather it just happened and them not know a single thing about it. Such a horrendous tragedy. 

Edited by Tayls

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah I want to die in my sleep like my dad…

Hide contents

…not screaming in terror like his passengers.

I’ve added the punch for the McIntyre fans.

Spoiler

Wasn’t that Monkhouse? 

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

There’s no way anyone could even know that. No point in him speculating at this stage. 
I just hope they didn’t have a period of panic before the thing imploded. Would rather it just happened and them not know a single thing about it. Such a horrendous tragedy. 

all reasonable theories say they'd have known absolutely nothing about it. so quick it would've been like someone flicked off the light switch.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He's one of the most experienced experts on the subject in fairness.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, I just wager the people coordinating the public response would appreciate him shutting the **** up rather than going out of his way to conduct multiple media interviews seemingly just to show off what insider information he had.

Maybe I'm miles off base, but he comes across like a bit of a nobhead, IMO.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He's one of the most experienced experts on the subject in fairness.

You cut down a few trees, it don't make you a lumberjack. My understanding is he has been a passenger on a submersible alot. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

You cut down a few trees, it don't make you a lumberjack. My understanding is he has been a passenger on a submersible alot. 

Your understanding is wrong.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, I just wager the people coordinating the public response would appreciate him shutting the **** up rather than going out of his way to conduct multiple media interviews seemingly just to show off what insider information he had.

Maybe I'm miles off base, but he comes across like a bit of a nobhead, IMO.

Same as everybody else being interviewed, it's kinda the point of interviews in an extraordinary event like this, look for the experts first, then find the ones willing to talk.

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I believe he designed the sub that has been the deepest on the planet.

A serious engineer who happens to also make films

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I believe he designed the sub that has been the deepest on the planet.

A serious engineer who happens to also make films

Well then without looking it it, I am wrong. He is a lumberjack. 

Hold the bus. A cursory glance and his contribution to the technology is like the spice girls contribution to the songwriting on their albums. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

Cameron has invested a lot of time and money on deep sea submarine exploration, he codesigned and then piloted the sub that's been to the deepest place a human has been in the ocean.

He is an arsehole but he knows what he's talking about with submarines of this sort.

• Like 2

Â