Missing Submersible

chrisp65

Apparently the submersible has 96 hours of life support on it, so although it most likely suffered some kind of catastrophic failure and they're all dead, it's possible they're still alive, stuck at the bottom of the ocean with no way of getting home, shit.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, will87 said:

Apparently the submersible has 96 hours of life support on it, so although it most likely suffered some kind of catastrophic failure and they're all dead, it's possible they're still alive, stuck at the bottom of the ocean with no way of getting home, shit.

I'm thinking now that slow O2 starvation would perhaps be preferable than a sudden pressurisation? Billions of tonnes of marine water crushing your rib cage until your inner body and the ocean are equalised has got to be terrifying. I'm thinking you would almost instantly drown, too, because any air in your lungs would be displaced by your own -- this is gruesome -- organs? Your organs would get shot into any empty spot in your body like spray insulation. It would hurt, physically. Jeez. Bad, bad, bad.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

40 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm thinking now that slow O2 starvation would perhaps be preferable than a sudden pressurisation? Billions of tonnes of marine water crushing your rib cage until your inner body and the ocean are equalised has got to be terrifying. I'm thinking you would almost instantly drown, too, because any air in your lungs would be displaced by your own -- this is gruesome -- organs? Your organs would get shot into any empty spot in your body by spray insulation. It would hurt, physically. Jeez. Bad, bad, bad.

Jeez I'm having my dinner here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, will87 said:

Somewhere in Hollywood a movie exec is licking his lips.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Somewhere in Hollywood a movie exec is licking his lips.

When I first read about it I was half expecting James Cameron to be among the ones missing. 

• Like 1

The sub is controlled by a very, very, very cheap looking game controller from 15 years ago, it doesn't have any locator beacons, and it can only be opened from the outside.

Those people are dead.

• Confused 1

I watched a programme about these deep water tourists, and titanic nuts. Its showed the sub and the eye watering cost to take part. As chindie says, the controller is very very basic. I think realistically they are swimming with the fishes. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0fpz9zw/the-travel-show-take-me-to-titanic

In a ground-breaking expedition, a group of paying adventurers travel to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, with the aim of exploring the world’s most famous wreck, the Titanic. The hope is to fulfil lifelong ambitions of reaching the remains of the famous sunken liner

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm thinking now that slow O2 starvation would perhaps be preferable than a sudden pressurisation? Billions of tonnes of marine water crushing your rib cage until your inner body and the ocean are equalised has got to be terrifying. I'm thinking you would almost instantly drown, too, because any air in your lungs would be displaced by your own -- this is gruesome -- organs? Your organs would get shot into any empty spot in your body like spray insulation. It would hurt, physically. Jeez. Bad, bad, bad.

If there was a catastrophic failure they would be instantly dead from the pressure, what you described probably would happen but in milliseconds.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

You couldn't give me all the money in the world to get into that tiny little metal box and go to the bottom of the ocean for 12 hours. 

When you already have more money than you know what to do with... That's exactly the type of people who take these trips.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm thinking now that slow O2 starvation would perhaps be preferable than a sudden pressurisation?

That was my thinking too. And if I understand correctly it's actually the abundance of CO2 that will kill them before the lack of oxygen does. But that will basically just be them falling asleep and not waking up.

It would be terrifying, but at least it would be painless

• Like 1

Think you'd really feel much from the sudden pressurisation? Think it'd be over in a flash.

Up to 4 days sitting there, waiting, knowing just how unlikely it is you'll ever be found, I can hardly imagine. I'd rather go out quickly with no idea what happened.

• Like 1

i mean, you must REALLY love a shipwreck to even consider this. it's not like you can get out and touch the thing, you're just looking out of a tiny window. why would anyone bother? though i'd imagine those on board are probably asking themselves the same question

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i mean, you must REALLY love a shipwreck to even consider this. it's not like you can get out and touch the thing, you're just looking out of a tiny window. why would anyone bother? though i'd imagine those on board are probably asking themselves the same question

It's like climbing Mount Everest or an expedition in Antarctica, because it's there...

• Like 1

Â