Missing Submersible

chrisp65

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Isn't it actually the opposite of that? It's not de-comp, it's comp. Bodies aren't torn apart because they're mostly water.

There's a morbid part of me that is curious about what that would look like. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's a morbid part of me that is curious about what that would look like. 

Some theorise that might look pretty much normal from the outside. They've done some experiments on crocodiles ... but you get gobbled up amazingly quickly by sea creatures, so there's that ...

Because alligators sometimes find themselves in ocean waters, searching for new food sources or flushed there by a hurricane, the scientists wanted to see if deep-sea creatures would nibble on the dead gators, or ignore them. The researchers, Craig McClain and Clifton Nunnally from Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (Lumcon), share the surprising results of their experiment in a newly published study in the open-access science journal PLOS One.  

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Could have been the sons idea/wish and the dad agreed as long as he was with him?

According to his Aunt the kid was terrified of the idea and only agreed to go along because it was Fathers Day and it would make his dad happy. 

• Sad 2

Why anyone would wantvto risk thwie lives doing crazY journeys like this ill never know. I did do a submarine tour once in barbados and it was about 200m beneath sea level which is nothing to how deep this went

It was a experience but its just not worth it as i was thinking its a massive gamble doing things like this. They even make you sign a waiver if someone goes wrong its not companies fault so cant be sued

RIP

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Some theorise that might look pretty much normal from the outside. They've done some experiments on crocodiles ... but you get gobbled up amazingly quickly by sea creatures, so there's that ...

Sure, something that is dropped down from the surface might look normal, like those alligators. The pressure is applied to them gradually (although obviously alligator skin is a lot tougher than human skin, and the Gulf of Mexico isn’t as deep).

Even an alligator isn’t going to do too well if you go from 1 atmosphere to 400 atmospheres in less than a second though. Particularly if they’re the filling in an imploding titanium sandwich.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why anyone would wantvto risk thwie lives doing crazY journeys like this ill never know. I did do a submarine tour once in barbados and it was about 200m beneath sea level which is nothing to how deep this went

It was a experience but its just not worth it as i was thinking its a massive gamble doing things like this. They even make you sign a waiver if someone goes wrong its not companies fault so cant be sued

RIP

Some people do things. Jump out of airplanes, dive underwater, swim with sharks, go into space.

Other sit on their sofa and get a heart attack at age of 40.

Sure you can minimise the risks in your life, but some people live for the thrill. 

I love mountain hiking. Setting off early morning, walking all day and getting back in the evening. I know people who laugh at it and don't understand it.

Everyone has their thing. 

• Like 1

all sorts of stuff coming out about how many corners this company cut, how there were various warnings, people getting sacked when questioning the methods of the company

waiver or not, i hope someone gets compensated

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

all sorts of stuff coming out about how many corners this company cut, how there were various warnings, people getting sacked when questioning the methods of the company

waiver or not, i hope someone gets compensated

Waivers are tosh anyway. Certainly in UK law. 

You can make people sign them, and they POSSIBLY may affect amounts of compensation payable but you can't waive away your negligence for death or bodily injury. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Some people do things. Jump out of airplanes, dive underwater, swim with sharks, go into space.

Sure you can minimise the risks in your life, but some people live for the thrill. 

I love mountain hiking. Setting off early morning, walking all day and getting back in the evening. I know people who laugh at it and don't understand it.

I agree. I go mountain climbing every year, and jumped out of a plane 13 times in the Army, both are considered dangerous by many but I love both. 

The thing is, and I’m sure you’re the same when you go mountain climbing,  you try to reduce the risk as much as possible,  wearing/carrying the correct equipment etc,

Listening to that interview with James Cameron yesterday it would appear that whilst there are a number of crafts that have been rigorously tested to travel to these depths, this craft wasn’t one of them, and many in that community actually wrote to this company to voice their concern. 

For me, if at some point in the future there were crafts out there with a long history of successful voyages, backed up by scientific testing, I’d probably like to do something like this myself, same with space travel. (although I couldn’t afford either). But I certainly wouldn’t want to be a Guinea pig inside a vehicle that many warned wasn’t safe. The more I read about this, the more it seems this was destined to fail. 

One thing I don’t understand, Is that lack of any sort of clearance. If I invented something in my shed there probably isn’t any facility to stop me experimenting with it, but if I was to start selling that thing to paying passengers/customers, it’s becomes a business, at which point surely my invention has to be checked and signed off by the relevant authorities? 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I agree. I go mountain climbing every year, and jumped out of a plane 13 times in the Army, both are considered dangerous by many but I love both. 

The thing is, and I’m sure you’re the same when you go mountain climbing,  you try to reduce the risk as much as possible,  wearing/carrying the correct equipment etc,

Listening to that interview with James Cameron yesterday it would appear that whilst there are a number of crafts that have been rigorously tested to travel to these depths, this craft wasn’t one of them, and many in that community actually wrote to this company to voice their concern. 

For me, if at some point in the future there were crafts out there with a long history of successful voyages, backed up by scientific testing, I’d probably like to do something like this myself, same with space travel. (although I couldn’t afford either). But I certainly wouldn’t want to be a Guinea pig inside a vehicle that many warned wasn’t safe. The more I read about this, the more it seems this was destined to fail. 

One thing I don’t understand, Is that lack of any sort of clearance. If I invented something in my shed there probably isn’t any facility to stop me experimenting with it, but if I was to start selling that thing to paying passengers/customers, it’s becomes a business, at which point surely my invention has to be checked and signed off by the relevant authorities? 

Yup, there is a line somewhere. I guess if you would like to go into the depths of the ocean in a submarine, and find a legitimate business that has offered such expeditions in the past, how much research do you do?

If someone goes sky diving, do they check the legal paper work on the parachute?

You are there with an expert, someone who has done it before, it's a legitimate business and you pay a lot to go underwater. 

I honestly doubt many people would question the set up of the sub. I'm sure they have a funky website and reviews from previous expeditions backed by profiles of experienced experts.

They should. but they probably wouldn't. If you go to a travelling fair with your kids and the kid wants to go on a massive swing thing, do you ask them for the technical check schedule? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yup, there is a line somewhere. I guess if you would like to go into the depths of the ocean in a submarine, and find a legitimate business that has offered such expeditions in the past, how much research do you do?

If someone goes sky diving, do they check the legal paper work on the parachute?

You are there with an expert, someone who has done it before, it's a legitimate business and you pay a lot to go underwater. 

I honestly doubt many people would question the set up of the sub. I'm sure they have a funky website and reviews from previous expeditions backed by profiles of experienced experts.

They should. but they probably wouldn't. If you go to a travelling fair with your kids and the kid wants to go on a massive swing thing, do you ask them for the technical check schedule? 

Fair points. 

And I guess part of the excitement in most of these sort of expeditions is not just doing it, but being one of the first to do so. But like I said, for me I’d want a longer history of success before doing something so dangerous. 

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

I imagine other operators would be pretty pissed off at a rogue outfit having such a high profile failure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Fair points. 

And I guess part of the excitement in most of these sort of expeditions is not just doing it, but being one of the first to do so. But like I said, for me I’d want a longer history of success before doing something so dangerous. 

To be honest if I was into this sort of thing, I’d probably look at a history of 12 successful dives and the CEO being confident enough to be on every dive as being enough for me to consider it safe.

As said above, I doubt I’d know anything about all the submersible experts who thought it was a disaster waiting to happen because presumably the passengers don’t move in those circles.

Rumours that the US navy knew it had imploded almost as soon as they lost contact with it. 

That whole 'rescue' mission was a bit of a false charade then. 

Next thing will be once someone has managed to get passengers onto a flight into space. The craft will go missing or something but that would probably be far worse than this. I've listened to a documentary about the shuttle that had a hole in the wing and crashed into the ocean. It said the astronauts would have known they were going to die, I can't imagine how that must feel. 

At least these 5 on the sub would have gone quick. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Either way, they'd be **** useless 20,000m under the Irish Ocean 

Ah yeah, it's our fault now is it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Rumours that the US navy knew it had imploded almost as soon as they lost contact with it. 

That whole 'rescue' mission was a bit of a false charade then. 

They probably would have suspected it, but they couldn't have known for sure, and you would still operate on a hopeful basis. I'm not sure there's anything too cynical or a charade regarding that, not sure what they'd have to gain from doing that. Especially when reports of banging came in,  it might have given them second thoughts about their first suspicions anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Alot of people jump out of planes though how many do that deep in a submarine 

If i was billionaire there is no chance i would do either of those things and i certainly wouldnt be taken my kid of im going to take a risk like that. Thata just me

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Alot of people jump out of planes though how many do that deep in a submarine 

If i was billionaire there is no chance i would do either of those things and i certainly wouldnt be taken my kid of im going to take a risk like that. Thata just me

But if you were a billionaire, you'd get in a private helicopter to get to the next island in the Bahamas, and then it would crash.

And people on a football forum would discuss why people get in helicopters and question your decisions.

People die. Accidents happen. People do different things. I think that looking for an underlining reason is pointless. 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

But if you were a billionaire, you'd get in a private helicopter to get to the next island in the Bahamas, and then it would crash.

And people on a football forum would discuss why people get in helicopters and question your decisions.

People die. Accidents happen. People do different things. I think that looking for an underlining reason is pointless. 

i hate flying so there is no chance i would get a private jet 😂

Accidents happen but something like this more risky because if you get a accident on the road you can likely survive if something goes wrong in this instance your dead thats the difference 

By the way im not looking for a underlining reason by the way nit sure why you said that

Edited by Demitri_C

Â