Missing Submersible

chrisp65

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Actually, someone started a topic on the subject, then posts were then moved into it, so.... get in the sea ;) 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well, yes and no.  As people have said, it's an unusual situation so it gets coverage.  Sadly, migrant boats sinking isn't unusual and, even though they still rightly get coverage, they therefore aren't as discussed on places like here.

I just find that when a potential tragedy is discussed on here, there's normally a lot of "****, hope they make it" stuff rather than "lol Dragons Den".

there haven't been many comparable tragedies though? and i cant remember one born out of what many would deem to be stupidity. there was a lot of concern for that nicola bulley for example on here and the recent nottingham attack

i don't think it's a lack of compassion, but if you do stupid things then expect to have the piss taken out of you if it goes wrong

• Like 1

at what point do they start offing each other because it's 1 less person taking up oxygen and they might buy themselves another few hours? or have i just watched too many movies?

26 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The banging sounds don't mean they're alive, anything could be banging down there around a wreck like the titanic. 

Well I believe the sounds were fairly regular. It is one way to get help, regularly beat the walls every half hour to attract sonar attention. They've done it on other submarine wrecks too. 

Edited by Rodders

Even if the noises heard are indicative of their being alive on the sub, at this point it's not going to have a good outcome barring miracles. 

They still need to find the sub.

If they find it and it's at any significant depth, they would need to get another sub to somehow attach to it (or something) to it to get out to the surface, which would take time in both directions, even if it's as simple as making it ascend and it's not hooked or trapped in someway. Theres no vehicle that can do a transfer of the passengers at that depth so making it surface is the only option. Meaning it's quite likely they would die during the operation from lack of oxygen.

They're dead.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

at what point do they start offing each other because it's 1 less person taking up oxygen and they might buy themselves another few hours? or have i just watched too many movies?

least you didn't think of Ricky and Dave trapped in the bunker without oxygen from Ali G Indahouse   :) 

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there haven't been many comparable tragedies though? and i cant remember one born out of what many would deem to be stupidity. there was a lot of concern for that nicola bulley for example on here and the recent nottingham attack

i don't think it's a lack of compassion, but if you do stupid things then expect to have the piss taken out of you if it goes wrong

Pretty much sums it up.  These are people dying.

Also, obviously taking a poorly maintained boat crammed with way too many people and handing over all your money and then some is pretty "stupid" as well, no?  It's just that those people are poor and trying to flee a devastating life.  So as I say, the main driver here is that they're rich.  It's been pretty eye opening.

I think the interest in this is the unknown and the potential for it to have an outcome, see also the Chilean miners, the Thai football team cave rescue, Nicola Bulley, or even to a lesser extent the Ever Given container ship. These things don't so much as have a countdown, but they do have a potential path to a conclusion. This would not be of interest if the headline was submersible runs out of oxygen and is recovered from the surface over the titanic. It's final, its ended. Nothing more to see.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also, obviously taking a poorly maintained boat crammed with way too many people and handing over all your money and then some is pretty "stupid" as well, no?  It's just that those people are poor and trying to flee a devastating life.  So as I say, the main driver here is that they're rich.  It's been pretty eye opening.

Those people on the boats probably see they have little other choice. The billionaire's could have gone shopping at Harrods instead. 

The boat people are also probably ignorant of the danger they face and almost certainly didn't sign with their eyes wide open a disclaimer saying they might die in 3 places 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Any bookies taking bets on number of survivors?

There's a 100% chance there will be no survivors so I would  doubt it. 

Edited by villa89

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think the overriding feeling about the state of mind of people crossing the channel is one of desperation, rather than stupidity. They feel they have to do it rather than wanting to do it. The people in this sub wanted to do this, and yes paid a lot of money to do it. 

There was a lot of levity in the Nicola Bulley thread as I think there was elsewhere. She wasn’t a billionaire. There may be some macabre humour in the fact that these are very wealthy people who have put themselves in a perilous situation, but the comparable comments in the Bulley thread suggest being enormously wealthy isn’t a prerequisite for this humour.

That being said, I’m not altogether comfortable in making gags while in the moment of the tragedy as it were. I suppose I’m more likely to make a joke after X amount of time, there’s no set rule about how much time needs to have lapsed.

However, equally, because it’s a bit of a grey area in my own mind as to when it’s appropriate to make jokes, I can’t critique those who feel comfortable to do so quite earlier on.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sounds like the Titanic all over again to a degree.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So as I say, the main driver here is that they're rich.  It's been pretty eye opening.

OK, here’s a scenario: a rich person owned a selection of wild cats in their private zoo, and one day they get eaten by a tiger.

Would a thread about it on here be eye opening about our attitude to rich people?

Should we first comment on all deaths of poor farmers where they live on the edge of the wilds?

I think you see what you want to see on these things. If you’re seeing gratification at the death of billionaires, I think you might be in the minority.

Personally, I’m seeing a novel twist on Darwinism.

• Like 3

They are all 100% dead, you have to hope something blew and it was quick…I can’t imagine many worse ways to go otherwise.  

It’s never nice when anything like this happens to anyone who wasn’t technically hurting anybody but the absolute farcical stupidity of every step of how they ended up down there is a sight to behold honestly. I don’t think you can say they deserved it but you can argue they earned it.

• Like 2

Â