Missing Submersible

chrisp65

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Without trying to call anyone stupid here, if I was a multi-millionaire the last thing I would give a **** about doing would be to waste a stupid amount of money to go to the bottom of the ocean to see a decayed shipwreck.

Sadly, Some people really do have more money than sense.

Would you consider going into space

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Without trying to call anyone stupid here, if I was a multi-millionaire the last thing I would give a **** about doing would be to waste a stupid amount of money to go to the bottom of the ocean to see a decayed shipwreck.

Sadly, Some people really do have more money than sense.

It's just an interest that they can afford, no?  

Sadly, the fact they're rich seems to be the reason no-one really gives a shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Would you consider going into space

No and we we know a hell of a lot more about going into space than we do about exploring the depths of the Atlantic Ocean

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Novelty value.

Rich people die in hot cars every day, they crash their planes, they OD on cocaine, they fall off mountains, they get kidnapped in ropey places.

It’s the novelty of the situation and the supply of pictures and rolling updates.

I’ll guarantee you that on the day we have a rich person die in a £25Million Ferrari with no photographer present, and a rich person blows up on launch to Mars… it’ll be the rocket guy that gets the headlines. That won’t be anything to do with bank balances.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's just an interest that they can afford, no?  

There are plenty of people dying every day who nobody cares about. There was another marine disaster off the coast of Greece a week ago where over 70 people died but it didn’t get a thread on VillaTalk. 

The bigger question is why so many care so much about these 5. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have they called this guy yet?

No but Sky news had "A former Royal Marines Diver" on as an expert this morning, he knew about as much as I do from trying to ignore the story.

To be fair to him, he did qualify almost everything he said with phrases like "I'm not on site so I don't know", "I've got no experience in a situation like this"... and his one absolutely stunning insight was... "We don't know, a rescue at this depth has never been attempted"

You'd have got as much insight into the current situation by dragging a bloke off Bournemouth Beach who happened to have a snorkel in his hand.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Maybe “glee” is a bit much, but basically **** all caring, loads of jokes, “they’re stupid rich and deserve it” type stuff.

There's plenty of people in this country for whom glee is the response when a boat full of immigrants sinks. I don't see that response on VT (thankfully) and I'm not sure I'm seeing it in this case either. I have thoughts on which one should be more of a concern but now is probably not the time for that. 

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

the fact they're rich seems to be the reason no-one really gives a shit.

The fact that they're rich is the exact reason why they're in this predicament. 

17 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There are plenty of people dying every day who nobody cares about. There was another marine disaster off the coast of Greece a week ago where over 70 people died but it didn’t get a thread on VillaTalk. 

Migrants die all the time in the med, it's not anything special. It's like school shootings in the US, it's the norm now. This however was billed as a special event, the first time tourists could go down to the Titanic and do something previously thought impossible. Also it was clear the danger involved and the idea of a rescue means you can drag at least 24-48 hours of "breaking" news out of it, especially in a traditionally slow news cycle time of year.

Edited by villa89

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well, yes and no.  As people have said, it's an unusual situation so it gets coverage.  Sadly, migrant boats sinking isn't unusual and, even though they still rightly get coverage, they therefore aren't as discussed on places like here.

I just find that when a potential tragedy is discussed on here, there's normally a lot of "****, hope they make it" stuff rather than "lol Dragons Den".

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

you'd have to ask the  mod that separated this discussion  from another thread and made it it's own topic that question :P 

but as per my answer in another thread , people have short attention spans and have kinda become sanitised to events .... the images for the dead migrant child washed up on the beach resulted in lots of Facebook profile picture changes and prayers  , but immigrant boats are last years news , we moved onto Afghanistan and then forgot about that for Ukraine and then forgot about that in favour of Megan and Harry 

Edited by tonyh29

Just now, tonyh29 said:

you'd have to ask the  mod that separated this discussion  from another thread and made it it's own topic that question

Actually, someone started a topic on the subject, then posts were then moved into it, so.... get in the sea ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Because there have been a few hundred marine disasters over the last 10 years or so.  There will be another few this year.  Lots of them involving mass casualties.

I can't remember the last time as sub disappeared whilst on a sightseeing tour to see The Titanic.  Let alone any kind of regular submarine sightseeing tour to lesser wrecks.

It's a unique occurrence involving one of the most famous stories that exists in mankind.

There was a thread for that woman who fell in the river earlier this year.  I think there was a thread for those kids who drowned.  Both had local interest or strange/unique circumstances and none of who were rich people.

What I don't understand is the fascination with tis thread existing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This however was billed as a special event, the first time tourists could go down to the Titanic and do something previously thought impossible.

And it still remains that way as I doubt they'll be returning.

• Like 1

Â