Missing Submersible

chrisp65

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That was my thinking too. And if I understand correctly it's actually the abundance of CO2 that will kill them before the lack of oxygen does. But that will basically just be them falling asleep and not waking up.

It would be terrifying, but at least it would be painless

Yeah. I think when they say “there’s X air” they actually mean there’s only enough scrubbers to remove the CO2 from the air for X hours.

As you say, after that you’d just become drowsier and drowsier until you pass out. It’d be the waiting in a cramped space for three or four full days with four other people and no food or water before you actually go that would be the horrible part.

And I’m pretty sure the CEO guy would know there’s basically zero chance of them being recovered if they’re on the seabed. It’d be such a horrifying way to go, I really hope the hull just ruptured unexpectedly and they all got crushed before they knew what happened.

(TBH you know you’ve had a bad day when that’s the best case scenario)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

So you can tell your billionaire mates and/or social media followers that you've seen The Titanic with you're own eyeballs. 

I have seen things in a bedroom that beat all the Titanics in the world.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Imagine dying on the titanic 111 years after it sank. 

giphy.gif

The irony in mind-bending. I hope the rescue team finds a way to save them, but no one sounds very optimistic on the news.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

This video is interesting but could also be kind of misleading since human beings aren't in fact made of styrofoam. Since we have a lot of water content, only the places of our bodies with spaces would get crushed in, I think?

There's something very sick about news sites "counting down" how much air is left in the sub.

Like a real life episode of the TV show 24. Imagine the families of those people who are seeing news outlets tick down the clock on their loved ones deaths (presuming they haven't already passed.)

• Like 3

With people dying all over the world in all sorts of ways I find it a bit weird that these 5 get so much attention when they are on a tourist jaunt to the bottom of the sea. The King has asked to be updated, President Biden is being briefed etc. 

I can’t help but think it is because they are billionaires and so are more important to society or something? 

I guess it is a bit like the Titanic itself. A lot of very rich and famous people died on that trip so it is immortalised in history in a way most other disasters are not. 

• Like 3

They put themselves in a dangerous situation, they knew the risks, I really am not that bothered.

Rich people doing dumb things with their ridiculous wealth might be encouraged to do something more worthwhile with their money, than vain jolly's to the bottom of the ocean.

Thousands of people have died horrible deaths in the last 48 hours. They deserve any emotion I have to spare.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

With people dying all over the world in all sorts of ways I find it a bit weird that these 5 get so much attention when they are on a tourist jaunt to the bottom of the sea. The King has asked to be updated, President Biden is being briefed etc. 

I can’t help but think it is because they are billionaires and so are more important to society or something? 

I guess it is a bit like the Titanic itself. A lot of very rich and famous people died on that trip so it is immortalised in history in a way most other disasters are not. 

No? It’s because it’s a very unusual and rather horrible way to die. If the same five were dying of cancer or were in a helicopter crash, there’d be no interest in them at all.

It’s also interesting specifically for the same reason as the Titanic itself was - the hubris involved. They’re going to a place at the limit of human survival, and something is going wrong. It’s interesting to see the consequences, even if you’re watching as a cautionary tale rather than out of any real sympathy. It’s certainly a really dumb way to die.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

image0.jpg?width=575&height=779

I mean further to all the other stuff about the tin shell made on the fly, this is the guy down there

Maybe a nomination for the "Darwin Award" is appropriate.....

I think because the tin can (i.e. the heath Robinson "sub" that had apparently not been subject to any official tests and certification) lost contact before it reached the bottom, had started to leak.

Boyency was affected and dumping the metal ballast made no difference as the sub was now too heavy. It is now on the bottom somewhere, with no power so they cannot communicate (....they communicate by "text"!!!!!....) with the mother ship, so nobody knows where they are.

The noises detected may indicate they are alive in a dark, rapidly filling with cold water, metal tin can. I think there is little chance for a rescue.

Sounds like the company was cutting corners at every opportunity and charging a fortunate for it....like a lot firms do, including the company I work for....but at least we dont make submarines.......

Â