Saudi Pro League

tomav84

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I reckon they’ll be picking up Newcastle dross for over inflated fees and selling megastars back for pittance. 

Do we have a sell on clause if Targett got for 60 million?

• Haha 1

Russia and China done something similar in the last 10 years. 

It will last 2/3 years max once the king / princes get bored of their new toy and had selfies with their favourite players.

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Plastic football in a plastic (albeit gold wrapped) country.

They can buy players, shit, they can buy associations and tournaments but they can’t buy culture, good luck creating that.

Exactly. Why can't countries like this create something of their own instead of just buying it. Armpit of the world.

Stay there for a few years earn a ton of money, move back home again.

I'd have done the same thing If I was heading towards the end of my playing career.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Stay there for a few years earn a ton of money, move back home again.

I'd have done the same thing If I was heading towards the end of my playing career.

a mate of mine has just done it. 3 years working out there, tax free, miles better salary, came home and cleared his mortgage. he's only 40.

3 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Russia and China done something similar in the last 10 years. 

It will last 2/3 years max once the king / princes get bored of their new toy and had selfies with their favourite players.

I don’t think the situations are the same mate. For Saudi it’s not a play thing or a fad, it’s a strategic effort to sportwash, and money is unlimited. 

I don’t see this dying off in a few years sadly. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don’t think the situations are the same mate. For Saudi it’s not a play thing or a fad, it’s a strategic effort to sportwash, and money is unlimited. 

I don’t see this dying off in a few years sadly. 

They have their fingers in too many pies for it to be just a fad, football, F1, Golf, Boxing.

Golf takeover is now complete, didn't take long.

For football they can have 4 star studded teams, but they would still need to populate the rest of the league and going forwards have a sustainable stream of talent coming online. If they have the perserverance and say invest in African, Middle East, Asian academies then perhaps it's possible they have a great league product in about ten years minimum. With unlimited funds they can also always go pick up the best of the rest players too, can see them pipping clubs to players like Grealish or Mount. Would certainly be easy to pick up the best coaches and back room staff from Europe too.

But all that said, the whole league will in effect be owned by one entity - will be like WWE - great fun, but is just simulated drama. Money can't buy you everything.

I'm not sure they need a great league - just a great tournament at the top - they'll want it to fit in above the Champions League as the premier club contest - with players leaving Europe to compete in it - perhaps one day they'll invite the winners of the champions league final (held permanently in Riyadh since 2028) to join in?

One of these big transfers will go sour. Someone will get done for touching a woman’s arse in public or want to leave the country and they can’t because they handed over their passport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Whatever your thoughts on this whole enterprise, I think we can agree that Grealish trying to adapt to Saudi culture would be remarkable. We'd need a camera crew on him at all times.

'Can't believe it. When they said it was a dry country, I thought it was because of the desert and that, not that I can't have a drink'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

One of these big transfers will go sour. Someone will get done for touching a woman’s arse in public or want to leave the country and they can’t because they handed over their passport.

All the European footballers will group together out there for friendship / entertainment. Just imagine the Parteys.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Money talks, I imagine the footballers they're signing will be allowed to touch whoever they want without repercussions. After all, they're just women out there, mere possessions.

Edited by blunther

The Saudi pif is only the 5th biggest in the world, Norway's is way bigger. Why didn't they buy all the bloody sports instead.

As an investment fund it seems like it hasn't got a clue to be honest, spunking huge sums of money to change their image and I sure as hell am never going to go there. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Whatever your thoughts on this whole enterprise, I think we can agree that Grealish trying to adapt to Saudi culture would be remarkable. We'd need a camera crew on him at all times.

Day 1 in Riyadh:

• Haha 3

Â