Saudi Pro League

tomav84

Simple thing to do would be what cricket did to South Africa during the apartheid years.

Go and play there for the money, you are restricted where you can play afterwards.

So go there, premier league put a fair market value on the player, so Newcastle selling matt target for instance for 40 million would be knocked down to 15 million for ffp. Then he wouldn't be allowed back in the Premier league/ European football for 3 years.

That way the player is committed to 3 years as an outcast earning alot more money but 3 years away from European football.which I think would put alot off agreeing to the Saudi shuffle, as i expect it will be known as, once these cheats start doing it.

Uefa should sort it out now for all European clubs and fifa should for international teams.

Stamping down hard on this before the cheats can do any more damage.

I doubt it will happen as the Premier league hadn't done anything to Man City and the punishment for Chelsea was 1 year of not being able to sign players for a fee when they already had 70 odd professional footballers loaned out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Angling for a job

Hopefully the players take the state owners with them.

I’d love the top division of English to be like it was in the 1990’s, long ball (don’t judge me), 4-4-2, standing terraces, less diving, no var, less money involved, match of the day being the best show ever, ahh just bliss, and big Ron, Gregory and Little. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Villa, finally overcome the decades of under spending and poor management to sit on the precipice of a return to the top table, and the game decides to go with the nuclear option this time.

Very much the start of a rapid end to the game. 

We're just not meant to enjoy nice things here.

so post doug with randy and man city and FFP come along...

Fortunately i think NSWE have their eyes open to exactly what they've bought in to and more so than 10 years ago i think this is potentially a case of a rising tide raises all boats, when this saudi money flushes over the PL villa will get some of it even if its selling the likes of coutinho or Heck seeing market values have increased across the board, for example i would hope our £1.5m sleeve sponsor is about to double if not triple seeing as newcastle used their saudi mates to blag a £7.5m one

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Hopefully the players take the state owners with them.

I’d love the top division of English to be like it was in the 1990’s, long ball (don’t judge me), 4-4-2, standing terraces, less diving, no var, less money involved, match of the day being the best show ever, ahh just bliss, and big Ron, Gregory and Little. 

It's only good because we didn't know football could be played to a better standard back then. 

Not sure I'd get the same enjoyment from watching that now, but if it was a choice between that or a spunking contest between state owned sportswashing enterprises... sign me up for the early 90's band.

30 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Simple thing to do would be what cricket did to South Africa during the apartheid years.

Go and play there for the money, you are restricted where you can play afterwards.

So go there, premier league put a fair market value on the player, so Newcastle selling matt target for instance for 40 million would be knocked down to 15 million for ffp. Then he wouldn't be allowed back in the Premier league/ European football for 3 years.

That way the player is committed to 3 years as an outcast earning alot more money but 3 years away from European football.which I think would put alot off agreeing to the Saudi shuffle, as i expect it will be known as, once these cheats start doing it.

Uefa should sort it out now for all European clubs and fifa should for international teams.

Stamping down hard on this before the cheats can do any more damage.

I doubt it will happen as the Premier league hadn't done anything to Man City and the punishment for Chelsea was 1 year of not being able to sign players for a fee when they already had 70 odd professional footballers loaned out.

Sadly wont happen. Saudis are in bed with FIFA so will be encouraged

• Like 1

This seems to be moving very quickly, apparently there will be a UK highlights show next year and I think by that time we'll see the Saudi 'big 4' populated with players that we're all familiar with.

I think the big difference between this and the Chinese super league is that the Chinese seemed to have in mind a league where teams had the best Chinese players with two or three world stars amongst them - the Saudi ideal doesn't seem to include any Saudis, it's just a de-facto superleague where four teams of the worlds best players will play each other for the amusement of the hyper rich..

It occurred to me that this is exactly the sort of place I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr Purslow pop up in.

This is going to be a viable option for players in a year's time - it's a problem for the Premier League.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This seems to be moving very quickly, apparently there will be a UK highlights show next year and I think by that time we'll see the Saudi 'big 4' populated with players that we're all familiar with.

I think the big difference between this and the Chinese super league is that the Chinese seemed to have in mind a league where teams had the best Chinese players with two or three world stars amongst them - the Saudi ideal doesn't seem to include any Saudis, it's just a de-facto superleague where four teams of the worlds best players will play each other for the amusement of the hyper rich..

It occurred to me that this is exactly the sort of place I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr Purslow pop up in.

This is going to be a viable option for players in a year's time - it's a problem for the Premier League.

It'll only be a problem if they start attracting elite players in their prime.  So far, they are only attracting players the wrong side of 35.

Unless they start signing players like Mbappe or Haaland, I wouldn't worry.  In fact, more PL team will start using them as a way to shift older high earners they don't want.

Just now, duke313 said:

It'll only be a problem if they start attracting elite players in their prime.  So far, they are only attracting players the wrong side of 35.

That process has already started with Neves, and by the sound of things there will be around six from Chelsea alone going there - some of whom are older but some who have good years still in them - they'll attract the older ones now with money because they can, pick out those desperate for a buck, then start adding players once the league gains a bit of traction.

I don't like it.

• Like 1

Still think their play is to push for the European super League even harder and once it happens they will make sure their 4 state owned clubs with big name players get spots in that league. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That process has already started with Neves, and by the sound of things there will be around six from Chelsea alone going there - some of whom are older but some who have good years still in them - they'll attract the older ones now with money because they can, pick out those desperate for a buck, then start adding players once the league gains a bit of traction.

I don't like it.

Neves is a strange one, but that's why I said elite, he isn't.

You will get some younger players in their prime going for big bucks, but they are just mercenaries going for the ££.  A league filled with players only there for a pay day will not be a success.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Still think their play is to push for the European super League even harder and once it happens they will make sure their 4 state owned clubs with big name players get spots in that league. 

Yep, the end game is the worry, once they've got an established league full of start players, they're going to want to see their four teams playing Madrid, Milan and Manchester - how they get those games is very worrying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, the end game is the worry, once they've got an established league full of start players, they're going to want to see their four teams playing Madrid, Milan and Manchester - how they get those games is very worrying.

That already exists, the Club World Cup in 2025 will feature 32 teams.

• Like 1

My issue with the Saudi league isn’t that it’s going to become the best league in the world, it’s that the Saudi owned clubs in Europe are using it to bypass FFP.

Uefa will need a massive overhaul of FFP as this loophole is being exploited.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

My issue with the Saudi league isn’t that it’s going to become the best league in the world, it’s that the Saudi owned clubs in Europe are using it to bypass FFP.

They will let the same usual clubs exploit it and then close the loophole before teams like us do too

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So why bother complying with FFP just ignore it.

My worry is the villa owners realise that can't compete with this level of blatant cheating assisting Man City Chelsea etc and sell up

Just because they don't get punished doesnt mean we won't be.

It's one rulebook for the top 4 cartel and another rulebook for the rest.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They will let the same usual clubs exploit it and then close the loophole before teams like us do too

29 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't think it's going to be a simple loop hole to close.

Ban the Saudi teams from trading with eu clubs until they comply with uefa FFP...they'll just use dodgy self funded sponsorship deals that circumvent the rules anyway. 

Establish a "fair value" governing body... they'll just just it to corruption reject /accept whatever transfers they want to happen.

There's so much subjectivity to a transfer value  and changes in a players form, I'm not sure i see this getting resolved. 

They just have to now scrap it and accept that football is now officially a case of whoever has the most money will win. It always was anyway.

Banning state ownership would have been a partial solution, but they would still have found a way.

Edited by MrBlack

Â