Saudi Pro League

tomav84

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don't think it's going to be a simple loop hole to close.

Ban the Saudi teams from trading with eu clubs until they comply with uefa FFP...they'll just use dodgy self funded sponsorship deals that circumvent the rules anyway. 

Establish a "fair value" governing body... they'll just just it to corruption reject /accept whatever transfers they want to happen.

There's so much subjectivity to a transfer value  and changes in a players form, I'm not sure i see this getting resolved. 

They just have to now scrap it and accept that football is now officially a case of whoever has the most money will win. It always was anyway.

Banning state ownership would have been a partial solution, but they would still have found a way.

I think the only way to stop it would be to ban multi-club ownership (which we are now involved with).  I'm surprised nobody has done this kind of thing sooner to get around FFP.  

It kind of makes sense now why Chelsea was spending so much money, we all thought they would be screwed by FFP, but they obviously knew they could offload their deadwood to counter it.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Neves is a strange one, but that's why I said elite, he isn't.

You will get some younger players in their prime going for big bucks, but they are just mercenaries going for the ££.  A league filled with players only there for a pay day will not be a success.

He will be at newcastle in less than 12 months ans it will be on a loan/small transfer fee.

Cheating at its best

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think the only way to stop it would be to ban multi-club ownership (which we are now involved with).  I'm surprised nobody has done this kind of thing sooner to get around FFP.  

It kind of makes sense now why Chelsea was spending so much money, we all thought they would be screwed by FFP, but they obviously knew they could offload their deadwood to counter it.

Indeed.  Its taking the old Championship Manager cheat to its logical conclusion. Why didn't anyone do it sooner...

Multi club ownership has the same issues as banning trade with Saudi. They will fictionalise the ownership structure of their clubs, like they would their income/ expenditure if needing to comply with FFP.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Indeed.  Its taking the old Championship Manager cheat to its logical conclusion. Why didn't anyone do it sooner...

Multi club ownership has the same issues as banning trade with Saudi. They will fictionalise the ownership structure of their clubs, like they would their income/ expenditure if needing to comply with FFP.

No easy fix it would seem.

If we can't beat them, join them.  Olsen, Sanson and Nakamba off to Zed FC for £100m 🤣

Chelsea spend millions on dross, millions in wages, and after 1/2 years, their value hasn't gone down at all, and the Saudi clubs will pay the wages.

it really, really stinks.

this Chelsea/Saudi League link is seriously dangerous for the game.

Having a team that can spend 100m+ (for example) on players, that dont work out, then just palm them off for close to the same value to a club in Saudi which is funded by the same people who basically own these PL clubs.

Absolutely shocking tbh, i cant believe this isnt being talked about all over the place, and being dealt with asap, its really, really bad.

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

this Chelsea/Saudi League link is seriously dangerous for the game.

Having a team that can spend 100m+ (for example) on players, that dont work out, then just palm them off for close to the same value to a club in Saudi which is funded by the same people who basically own these PL clubs.

Absolutely shocking tbh, i cant believe this isnt being talked about all over the place, and being dealt with asap, its really, really bad.

Yeah, something has to give here cos it's really out of order. Chelsea essentially have a  permanent "get out of jail free card" here where they can sign any old dross relatively risk-free. 

I'm not really sure how football stops this but it needs to try. With both Newcastle and Chelsea having strong ties to the PIF surely it impacts sporting integrity? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

I bet if we tried something similar with Vitoria buying our dross we would be reprimanded overnight.

Slightly different as they are within UEFA so have to adhere to FFP themselves.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah, something has to give here cos it's really out of order. Chelsea essentially have a  permanent "get out of jail free card" here where they can sign any old dross relatively risk-free. 

I'm not really sure how football stops this but it needs to try. With both Newcastle and Chelsea having strong ties to the PIF surely it impacts sporting integrity? 

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Slightly different as they are within UEFA so have to adhere to FFP themselves.

a possible answer would be that UEFA linked clubs (who comply with FFP), can only buy/sell to/from other clubs who also adhere to FFP.

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Hopefully the players take the state owners with them.

I’d love the top division of English to be like it was in the 1990’s, long ball (don’t judge me), 4-4-2, standing terraces, less diving, no var, less money involved, match of the day being the best show ever, ahh just bliss, and big Ron, Gregory and Little. 

I'd do all of that again minus kick and rush 😃

46 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sadly, this is precisely a situation in which Christian Purslow would really earn his pay at Villa (as club advocate, and by extension advocate for non Sky clubs in general) Who assumes a similar position for us now? Surely not Heck. Not Lange, based on his new title. Monchi? The other guy?

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

It'll only be a problem if they start attracting elite players in their prime.  So far, they are only attracting players the wrong side of 35.

Unless they start signing players like Mbappe or Haaland, I wouldn't worry.  In fact, more PL team will start using them as a way to shift older high earners they don't want.

That is what they said about the LIV tour- and then they got in the top younger guys and have now just taken over the PGA tour. The horse has bolted on this one.

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

This league will be full of Chelsea players at this rate, Mendy looks like he is going there aswell now 

Missed out on Barkley and Drinkwater. Bet the Saudis are gutted

• Haha 1

Â