Saudi Pro League

tomav84

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is what other countries think of English football.

while true English football also has a historical background in the game and importantly a football structure and brilliant fanbase.

In Chinese league they had to play a certain amount of local players for the rules and will probably be the same in Saudi Arabia as they will want to build up the national team as well plus in stadiums with drab atmospheres. Obviously Saudi might have learned from this and will go in a different direction

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is what other countries think of English football.

you say that but then why is rice about to join bayern rather than a PL team? or bellingham about to go to real madrid rather than back to his homeland? the european elite clubs are still plenty competitive

28 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Just shows that the modern day footballer is more interested in lining their pockets with dirty money than playing football. 

It’s not a modern phenomenon mate.  People were having this exact conversation when the amateur game was turning professional.  

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

you say that but then why is rice about to join bayern rather than a PL team? or bellingham about to go to real madrid rather than back to his homeland? the european elite clubs are still plenty competitive

Rice has been linked with Arsenal and Man U as much as he has Bayern. Madrid are the biggest team in the world, they’re gonna attract players no matter how rich the Prem is. I think the statement was aimed at clubs in the continent not called Bayern, Barca, PSG or Real Madrid.

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I mean that's a couple of examples, that aren't confirmed yet. You can point to Grealish and Haaland joining City as a counterexample. 

There's like 5 of these elite clubs combined if you don't include the English ones. Meanwhile, Bournemouth and Fulham can blow the likes of Milan and Roma out of the water with the wages they can offer. The only thing keeping things slightly in check is the misplaced (imo) allure of the CL. That's where the strength of the English league becomes a double edged sword for the smaller clubs. They won't ever crack the top 4.

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Seems the goal is to shop names around to one of the four clubs. Talk of them having a total of 20 names shortlisted. Expect more soon.

someone tell them that we have sweden's best goalkeeper that would be a great addition to the league

• Haha 4

"Plans for the 2023-24 season will see each of the four PIF-owned teams target a minimum of three world-renowned names per club. A smaller number of world-renowned players are expected to be distributed among the other sides in the league.

Under current rules, Saudi teams are allowed eight foreign players in their squad. By sharing ownership, league organisers can ensure an even distribution of talent between the top teams, fostering rivalry, tightening the league table, and ultimately increasing commercial revenue."

Per The Athletic. Unlike with China, the direct involvement of the Saudi state, not private companies means they have near unlimited funds for the four major clubs. Plus, Covid had a major impact on football there.

Well, don't expect a trickle down effect in the league outside those not owned by the PIF:

"Change was already in the air for next season, with the Saudi Pro League increasing from 16 to 18 teams.
This was already an unequal league — with stadiums ranging in size from 62,000 to 6,000 — but these divisions are set to become exacerbated due to PIF’s investment, designed to foster rivalry between the country’s most prestigious clubs."
Edited by The_Steve

sickening seeing the newcastle reaction to it...they're rejoicing in the news of the saudi club signings and how the golf takeover solidifies the PIF as a genuine name in the world of sport.

i did see one or 2 getting concerned that their "summer transfer kitty better not end up going to a bunch of golfers"

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

sickening seeing the newcastle reaction to it...they're rejoicing in the news of the saudi club signings and how the golf takeover solidifies the PIF as a genuine name in the world of sport.

i did see one or 2 getting concerned that their "summer transfer kitty better not end up going to a bunch of golfers"

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

If I remember correctly Kante has his own foundation in Africa. He's probably thinking about how much good he can do with that sort of money.

Ah, so we're going to sell them Nakamba for £250m

I mean, playing devil's advocate, this is not moving to MLS for 10 mil...this is a chance to pick up 100mil+/year in the twilight of your career. Integrity aside, I'd much rather have that in my pocket than PIF's...

Â