Saudi Pro League

tomav84

14 hours ago, Thug said:

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/nations/Premier-League-Nationalities

57% of the players in the premier league are foreign.

We’ve been buying football for 3 decades.

"We" invented the game, invented league football and have a historic pyramid right to grass roots. We didn't buy football. You should know that being a villa fan. 

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The PL spent more than the other 4 top leagues in Europe combined last summer:

28152.jpeg

Money heavily influenced by external factors - including Chelsea’s ownership change and £600m shopping spree. Other countries had massive economic issues impacting football related matters. Especially in France. Spain's footballing revenue models have always been heavily biased towards certain clubs. It's not a black and and white issue. The Premier League is certainly oversaturated with spending power but the circumstances are vastly different to using your national GDP to create an artificial Top 4 with unlimited wage structures. 

Edited by The_Steve

16 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

The Saudi pif is only the 5th biggest in the world, Norway's is way bigger. Why didn't they buy all the bloody sports instead.

As an investment fund it seems like it hasn't got a clue to be honest, spunking huge sums of money to change their image and I sure as hell am never going to go there. 

The big goal is to get onto major tournaments and host bigger sporting events within Saudi. The goal is much bigger than getting the average fan to tune in. 

3 hours ago, blunther said:

"We" invented the game, invented league football and have a historic pyramid right to grass roots. We didn't buy football. You should know that being a villa fan. 

We also invented steel and tv.

Now we import from India and South Korea.

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Money heavily influenced by external factors - including Chelsea’s ownership change and £600m shopping spree. Other countries had massive economic issues impacting football related matters. Especially in France. Spain's footballing revenue models have always been heavily biased towards certain clubs. It's not a black and and white issue. The Premier League is certainly oversaturated with spending power but the circumstances are vastly different to using your national GDP to create an artificial Top 4 with unlimited wage structures. 

You think it was only this season? The disparity will only widen with time as it has been.

I don't see how am artificial hegemony being created via exorbitant TV deals is much better.

14 hours ago, blunther said:

“We” did though. The Premier League is comfortably the dominant force in World football.

A team gets promoted from the Championship and immediately becomes one of the richest in the World.

”We” might have brought the game to life, but “we” also created this absolute monster seen today. 

• Like 2

It'll be pre-season friendlies first. Super League teams going to Saudi for a friendly for £100m to fill their FFP gaps.

Then it'll be a yearly Saudi Super Tournament in the off-season between a select group of Saudi and European teams. A few fights with UEFA over Nations League or Euro Qualifiers dates, which PIF will win...

Then suddenly it'll challenge the Champions League, they'll try and push UEFA out and then they'll merge the Saudi Super Tournament with the Champions League if they can't push them out - and it'll be The Super League, but somehow even worse

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Allegri offered a big contract from one of the clubs apparently.

They are gonna handle this like they did the golf and throw so much money and influence into another push for the European Super league scheme until it finally happens. That league will obviously feature 4 Saudi clubs.

JP Morgan can say whatever they want, that money is coming from Saudi Arabia.

I know they have all the money and clearly the will, but I wouldn't underestimate the owners of all the other clubs in football, especially not the cabal of americans - they know how to play this game better than anyone. 

I didn’t realise until this week that the state of Saudi Arabia also have the majority ownership of Chelsea, through owning the biggest share of Clearlake who bought Chelsea.

They’ve cleverly marketed it as Americans who own Chelsea, but it’s Saudi money. 

• Shocked 1

It would be nice to see some players publicly decline these contract offers, just one to come out and say they disagree with the murderous regime’s attempts to buy football and destroy it. I don’t know if any have to be fair but I doubt it. 

Hopefully we'll see less of these guys in anti racism, human rights and LGBT campaigns trying to get brownie points while not really caring at all. Organizations should just ignore them or ideally call them out at every opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Initially went to off topic to find this thread - as 'other football' felt like the wrong description. Saudi buying Neves for £50m, is very different to previous acquisitions. They have serious power, and appear to be circumventing all rules with cash. I think it's quite clever - they can then sell the best back to the jawdies and nobody can penalise them for it. As for their own league, well they can get all the sexy players they want, it's still shite. 

Â