Pau Torres

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Brilliant with the ball usually, although not today, but it could be argued every goal was his fault today. 

I love the guy, I really do. But, today, the goals were mainly his fault. As a player, he won't watch that back and be happy. 

47 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think it's obvious he's still not 100% fit. 

Wouldn't surprise me if there are actually a few players playing through injury and fatigue.

In honesty, even the likes of Doug has Probably needed a rest.

• Like 3

Watching again, i just can't work out what he was doing for their 2nd.

Was in a decent position, checked his shoulder so knew Mbeumo was there, and then just left it.

Really odd

30 minutes ago, andym said:

Watching again, i just can't work out what he was doing for their 2nd.

Was in a decent position, checked his shoulder so knew Mbeumo was there, and then just left it.

Really odd

Scared of contact is the only thing I can think. Or he actually can't judge the cross for some reason? Appalling. 

Great on the ball, a liability defensively. This is Pau Torres.

It's awkward for him, he takes a step towards the cross as if he thinks it's going to be low or hit him, but then it's over him and somehow volleyed in. Really a bizarre goal to concede.

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Probably why he won’t make Spain’s squad for the Euros. Can’t defend.

And the other Spanish defenders can? Is that the strength of Spanish defenders

• Like 1

Maybe off topic but… why do our players so often play so poorly after a period of rest? It’s so weird…

Not sure how much of a theme or constant it is but… it really does seem, this season, like we’ve tended to underperform after we come back from some sort of break and players have had a rest. 

Shouldn’t really be the case but I suppose the argument is a “lack of rhythm” or disruption…. we’ve seemed to play better with consecutive games and when “hitting our grove” in that sense but… we really haven’t played all that well this year anyway and aren’t as impressive as we were last year. No doubt physical and mental fatigue has played a part but, again, the rests or breaks don’t seem to have helped us much…  I do think a few are carrying niggles of sorts too…  maybe longer periods of rest and recovery are required but simply not possible… and those that get called up for international duty get more worn out (although a few that often don’t even play).

Just a thought… I may be incorrect or barking up the wrong tree but it’s something that I feel like I’ve noticed quite a few times…

2023 was amazing… 2024 has not been all that comparable so far…

Edited by Jas10

Pau is a lovely player to watch and I'd rather have him in the villa side than some of the cloggers we've been forced to endure of the many years I've supported the team, but as good as he is on the ball I never get the impression he's going to put his body on the line to stop a goal, he is too passive on the defensive side of things at times and today unfortunately all 3 goals he is culpable for not doing anywhere near enough to deal with the crosses coming in 

Edited by david-avfc

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

An off day. Nothing more than that. He is a class player despite some of the reactionary comments in the match thread.

For a first season away from his beloved homeland, adapting to the pace of the Premier League, he has been superb.

Fans turn so quickly at times.

No...form does.

52 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Pau is a lovely player to watch and I'd rather have him in the villa side than some of the cloggers we've been forced to endure of the many years I've supported the team, but as good as he is on the ball I never get the impression he's going to put his body on the line to stop a goal, he is too passive on the defensive side of things at times and today unfortunately all 3 goals he is culpable for not doing anywhere near enough to deal with the crosses coming in 

That's like a lovely shiny bucket with a hole in it.

The first job of a CB is to defend.....if they can play out, that's a bonus. i.e VVD

Â