Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

35 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'm surprised at the talk of just 4 more points.

Personally was doing the guesstimate maths earlier and think we need 6 more

I think 4 would do it but completely get why you would want 6. Let’s compromise and get 12!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Very tricky. As I thought we looked flat as hell against Lille. 

Even trickier thought… how does Kamara fit into all of this?! Recent performances and progress makes me think we actually only need one of Luiz or Kamara…. 

I think that’s a big statement. We had 38 points from our first 17 games when they were pretty much ever present. I felt like they were our engine during that time. We’ve only got 28 points from our next 17. We have had a few good results recently but we haven’t progressed from the first half of the season. Strictly speaking, we’ve regressed as might have been expected. I think losing that partnership has been hugely disruptive. We’ve done ok at times but without the duo but at others we’ve struggled. Great as today even was, I felt like we really missed them both at times, particularly in the first half when Bournemouth were getting into dangerous areas quite easily. 

For top 4, my view is that we need to match or better Spurs’ four difficult games in our four remaining games, taking a worst case scenario that they beat Burnley and Sheffield. So still plenty of work to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Very tricky. As I thought we looked flat as hell against Lille. 

Even trickier thought… how does Kamara fit into all of this?! Recent performances and progress makes me think we actually only need one of Luiz or Kamara…. 

Kamara and Luiz when both fit will alway start in big games. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kamara and Luiz when both fit will alway start in big games. 

But then we pretty much take out one of McGinn or Tielemans… and they have both been great… 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But then we pretty much take out one of McGinn or Tielemans… and they have both been great… 

There will always be injures/suspensions etc. 

totally overjoyed with all the points from today, I really doubted we would be able to after playing 120 mins the other day without resting players for ages now.

They can catch us but having 6 on the board puts loads of pressure on them and their games are harder, two more wins guarantees it for me

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We can take it as a given that Spurs will beat Sheff Utd. I think we can also say it is highly likely they beat Burnley. That then gets them to 66. 

It then comes down to us needing to get more points from our four games against Chelsea (H) Brighton (A) Liverpool (H) Palace (A) than they do against Arsenal (H) Chelsea (A) Liverpool (A) Man City (H).

We both play Chelsea and Liverpool with the big advantage for us being we are at home for both whilst they are away so even if we are a little pessimistic and say we both take the same amount of points from those games it then comes down to us needing more points from Brighton and Palace away than they take from Arsenal and Man City at home. 

What a fantastic position we have put ourselves in. 

Agreed, fantastic position to be in with 4 to go.  Nice to have a week's rest before the next one too, get some bodies back in order.  At least the ECL game is at home before Brighton, we can go full on for both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

5 points from the next 4 games should be enough. That would put us on 71 points. If we manage even 1.5 pts a game though that would be 6 points and finishing on 72. 

If we get 6, Spurs will need to win 4 of their last 6. Or 3 wins, 3 draws. Assuming they beat Burnley and Sheffield United, the have to beat one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and City and at worst draw the other 3.

• Like 2

Chelsea are in good form.

Brighton hit and miss.

Palace are in a bit of form and Liverpool are Liverpool.

5 - 6 points would probably be good, but would feel better with 8 or 9.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN