Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm guessing you're on the windup here. 

Not at all. I watched the last review of our accounts with Kieran Maguire and it didn’t look like a healthy picture overall. Basically that we’ve been making consistent losses which wouldn’t have been sustainable without the Grealish money. There was a sense that we need to grow our revenue significantly to allow player budgets to grow much higher. 

I am not saying there aren’t ways around it and that we aren’t going to spend big. But I don’t think our finances are as good as some make out. Having billionaire owners doesn’t make the club self sustainable, which is pretty much the basis of FPP.  

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

this is all smokescreen by Villa and Alemany came to Birmingham to negotiate the sale of Ferran Torres

That’s what the Barca fans are praying for on Twitter, that they get to keep Alemany and we overpay for their unwanted cast offs. 

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Very strange situation this.

It’s not that strange.

Barcelona were not agreeing his terms so his agent put out feelers, and then when we made him an offer they leaked it all over the place.

Lo and behold, Barcelona have upped their offer and he’s signed.

A story as old as time…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not that strange.

Barcelona were not agreeing his terms so his agent put out feelers, and then when we made him an offer they leaked it all over the place.

Lo and behold, Barcelona have upped their offer and he’s signed.

A story as old as time…

But it's not like Villa to be so naive. When the likes of The Athletic and Romano are announcing it as as a done deal.....

I don't like seeing us get played, I'd expect us to be smarter tbh, but oh well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

But it's not like Villa to be so naive. When the likes of The Athletic and Romano are announcing it as as a done deal.....

I don't like seeing us get played, I'd expect us to be smarter tbh, but oh well.

It’s happened a few times, Smith-Rowe did the same thing. It happens to every club (and every company for that matter). 

• Like 1

Spanish media are spinning this to give the Spanish club the W and make us look bad. In truth, I bet it's not as straightforward. There's a mutual respect between Emery and Alemany so not sure I see us being used as a pawn either. 

If there was any truth to our project not being that attractive or our finances being grim, Emery wouldn't be here either.

You can't miss what you've never had. Nothing was ever official. We were always anticipated a big summer before any of us even knew who Alemany was. Relax.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Barca were played, not us. Just part of business. 

14 minutes ago, JayVTID said:

Spanish media are spinning this to give the Spanish club the W and make us look bad. In truth, I bet it's not as straightforward. There's a mutual respect between Emery and Alemany so not sure I see us being used as a pawn either. 

If there was any truth to our project not being that attractive or our finances being grim, Emery wouldn't be here either.

You can't miss what you've never had. Nothing was ever official. We were always anticipated a big summer before any of us even knew who Alemany was. Relax.

Exactly. You've got the exact same outlets who claimed Villa had an "unlimited budget" now insinuating that he's staying because Villa have no money. They're making it up as they go along.

Shame that he's seemingly played both sides, but we may have very well dodged a bullet seeing how clearly unenthusiastic he was about Villa. Doubt it affects our window: potential signings are shortlisted, feelers are put out and negotiations happen in an ongoing process, months before the window officially starts. You had Purslow, Lange and Gerrard in France to wrap up Kamara in April, Carlos was clearly done far before late May, etc. That and the prospective July start suggests that Alemany was with a view on next year's dealings.

Edited by wishywashy

Weird that Alemany is friends with Emery and walked away from the agreement after having it all but confirmed. I'd really love to know what's happened here.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Weird that Alemany is friends with Emery and walked away from the agreement after having it all but confirmed. I'd really love to know what's happened here.

From what I've read they are actually cousins, they used to spend the summers together with the Pfaffenbachs up in Eagle River.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

He turned down our offer...  Doesn't mean we got played or used.  This is the real world.  People weigh up options like this all the time and doesn't mean everyone is malicious or using others for their own benefit.  I've turned down good job offers after interviews and touring the workplaces because I didn't want to relocate or it wasn't right for me at that point in my life.  Hell, maybe he was ready to leave Barcelona until Jordi Cruyff was axed and they counteroffered to keep him and made it a much better proposition for him.  Doesn't mean he used Villa or took us for a ride, or we're idiots for getting played.  Who cares what Barcelona fans think about us?  They're all glory hunting plastics anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Not at all. I watched the last review of our accounts with Kieran Maguire and it didn’t look like a healthy picture overall. Basically that we’ve been making consistent losses which wouldn’t have been sustainable without the Grealish money. There was a sense that we need to grow our revenue significantly to allow player budgets to grow much higher. 

I am not saying there aren’t ways around it and that we aren’t going to spend big. But I don’t think our finances are as good as some make out. Having billionaire owners doesn’t make the club self sustainable, which is pretty much the basis of FPP.  

Fair point but I wonder what Chelsea's accounts will look like next year after finishing 11th and spending a stupid amount of money over the last few years. Even if their turnover is much higher than ours they will have made huge losses and if they spend big again this summer then it shows the whole FFP thing means very little. Wolves have smaller turnover than us yet were allowed to spend well over £100m last summer and £40m on that Brazilian forward in January to finish bottom half. We're on course to finish at least 8th by the looks of it and our net spend has been low since summer 2020. I think it's rare teams make an actual profit in their accounts other than Brentford or Brighton but they're punching well above their weight.

Purslow knows FFP well and i'm fairly sure we can spend big this summer, because we need to back the best manager we have had in my lifetime if we want to be successful. Doubt Emery would have taken the job if he knew we couldn't spend money, otherwise he may as well have stayed in Spain.

• Like 1

Â