Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Maybe we've decided to pull the plug on the deal, but it's being reported by the Spanish media that he's done a U-turn.

We'll probably never know the real reason.

I'm starting to think that too, this guy might not have been good fit for Villa at all from the sound of it.

Just catching up on this story, 

In all honesty I never personally get worried about people like this leaving / not coming etc. The fact is he has now shown his colours and I am relieved it came out now rather than him abaondoning a half finished project or something in 6 months time. He clearly has no affiliation with Villa and clearly no respect either. A slippery eel doing what slippery eels do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Well, he hadn't.  Even if he was still joining us, he was staying at Barca until the end of June.

But, he had. In the public discourse, he had left. If a Villa player in the public discourse had left, but then decided to stay, many wouldn't want them to wear the shirt again. 

Anyway, already bored of this, onwards and upwards. UTV.

From Unai's press conference:

Reports from Spain have outlined that Mateu Alemany, Barcelona’s director of football, now isn’t coming to Villa Park. What can you tell us?

It was two weeks ago we were speaking about the possibility for him to come here, it was positive and, in the end, he’s not coming. We will continue in our project and build up as a club and a team. He is a very good professional with experience. I know him, I sometimes meet with him. But we’re very focused here with the project we have in front. We will try to analyse someone to help us. But now, Mateu Alemany will stay in Barcelona.

Unai, did he give any reason for not coming?

He is in Barcelona and he will continue there. What is the reason? I think Barcelona is a very good team. We were speaking about the possibility but he decided to continue in Barcelona. He’s very respectful with us and, with his decision, we are respectful as well.

42 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

From Unai's press conference:

Reports from Spain have outlined that Mateu Alemany, Barcelona’s director of football, now isn’t coming to Villa Park. What can you tell us?

It was two weeks ago we were speaking about the possibility for him to come here, it was positive and, in the end, he’s not coming. We will continue in our project and build up as a club and a team. He is a very good professional with experience. I know him, I sometimes meet with him. But we’re very focused here with the project we have in front. We will try to analyse someone to help us. But now, Mateu Alemany will stay in Barcelona.

Unai, did he give any reason for not coming?

He is in Barcelona and he will continue there. What is the reason? I think Barcelona is a very good team. We were speaking about the possibility but he decided to continue in Barcelona. He’s very respectful with us and, with his decision, we are respectful as well.

Doesn't give much away does he Unai?

All we can really take from that is that Unai definitely knows him, talks were had and Unai saw them as positive, but Alemany decided to stay at Barcelona.

We may never know what happened.

My hunch is Alemany was unhappy at Barcelona for whatever reason, Emery was made aware of this and wanted him to join us, so he helped to set up some talks. Unfortunately, the press got wind of it as everything seems to do concerning Barcelona, this puts extra pressure on Alemany and probably jolts Barcelona into action in terms of changing things to be more to Alemany's liking, he ends up deciding to stay where he is.

As others have said, this kind of stuff happens in business all the time, we've been openly looking to fill this kind of position since Emery joined so I imagine we have many other names on our list, this was just an opportunity that presented itself and we decided to take a good look at it.

The moral of the story is don't believe anything the Spanish press tells you, especially when it concerns to the Premier League and money. Bitter like a pint of Banks's.

• Like 1

My guess, we approached him, offered him a lot of money to leave, he agreed and gave notice, barca came back and matched our offer and he decided to stay put.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

My guess, we approached him, offered him a lot of money to leave, he agreed and gave notice, then he did some research- found the VT forum... and he decided to stay put.

FYP

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

My guess, we approached him, offered him a lot of money to leave, he agreed and gave notice, barca came back and matched our offer and he decided to stay put.

Maybe more power too as Cruyff leaving the day before would be a hell of a coincidence. There is always a lot of political maneuvering at these clubs.  I don't think it will massively effect our dealings in the summer though Unai obviously thinks highly of the role and values having someone who he knows helping him with getting the right players in.  He is by far the most important person at the club and needs to be given all the tools he needs.

With the academy build in Witton and the new North stand in the pipeline I do wonder if we really don't have the funds available for transfers that fans think we have. After all, Alemany is being lauded for getting players into Barcelona on a tight budget, at a time where they were working under restrictions. 

I guess time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

With the academy build in Witton and the new North stand in the pipeline I do wonder if we really don't have the funds available for transfers that fans think we have. After all, Alemany is being lauded for getting players into Barcelona on a tight budget, at a time where they were working under restrictions. 

I guess time will tell. 

Wouldn't effect transfers chap. The building work costs are a drop in the ocean in footballing terms, also more of an investment, in they will get there money back.

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I guess time will tell. 

If we didn’t have any money, I’m sure Emery would leave.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Wouldn't effect transfers chap. The building work costs are a drop in the ocean in footballing terms, also more of an investment, in they will get their money back.

Any money spent on upgrading stadium and training facilities are not included in FFP anyway, no matter how much is spent on them. It could all be coming out of NSWE pocket.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I guess time will tell. 

Infrastructure costs do not affect FFP.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Possibly got sentimental attachment to Barcelona as well.

If always fails though, we can just blame Purslow.

Yet again Aston Villa football club being very professional about the whole thing. We nearly took one of the most sort after football directors of one of the most prestige clubs in world football, he agreed to join verbally & Barcelona had sort after a replacement in Deco. So it was very close, no bitching from us, no need to say anything, what ever happened I think we will never know. We will move on & go after other targets & it will be quietly & professionally like we always do 💪

• Like 2

Â