Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Possibly got sentimental attachment to Barcelona as well.

He's Spanish, working in Barcelona and presumably settled there. It would take a lot to get him to move to Birmingham and start a new job there. I would guess we offered him a premium to come to the premier league but barcelona decided to offer him something similar so he didn't have to leave Spain.  

• Like 2

https://www.marca.com/futbol/futbol-internacional/2023/05/19/64679a8eca47414b4a8b45a3.html

In neither spite nor frustration. Aston Villa has "naturally" accepted what happened with Barcelona's football director, Mateu Alemany, and has quickly turned the page. Unai Emery was and is the leader of the Aston Villa project and the cornestone of the project, and there is a sporting plan that continues.

From the club, it is considered that Mateo Alemany's decision falls within the "individual freedom and personal sphere" of the Mallorcan to reconsider his future. Alemany never signed any document with the villains in the first place. In fact, it was only FC Barcelona himself who leaked the name of the British club, very hermetic and cautious during these weeks, the night of his release statement.

Official sources close to both owners confirmed to MARCA that their expansion plan continues seamlessly : "We have the most difficult figure to find, a world-class manager like Unai Emery. And we have a sports plan based on the style of play and mentality of the coach. In addition, we have an executive structure that will provide the Manager with operability".

In Villa Park, there is surprise at some of the information that points to a disagreement between the parties as the origin of Alemany's final decision: "Some media that attributed to us unconditionally the immediate signings (Ferran or Vlahovic) of hundreds of millions in the supposed sports plan of Mateo (when there was nothing signed with him), were questioning the financial strength of the club the next day. The strength of the project is beyond doubt, and will be seen during the summer. This year we have already seen how the team has come along, after the City the best team in the Premier League in 2nd place". Aston Villa, in any case, openly admits that their project "needs a natural process of sustainable growth to establish itself among the English and European elite". And they are convinced that "with Unai we are going to achieve it."

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seemed to think he was getting a blank cheque to do what he wanted. Its why I never understood the praise he was getting earlier in the thread for signing Lewandowski, Kessie and Christensen etc to big contracts

We definitely got away with one here

So their nonsense about us backtracking on our promises to him and us lacking funds seem to have been made up garbage as we already knew. Alemany saying nothing of the sort.

Spanish rags just as bad as the English ones.

“The reality is that there was an impressive project at Aston Villa, but I have been clear that my place is here, this is the best club in the world and I am totally committed to helping to dominate European football in the coming years.

“After a personal reflection, my place is here, it is the biggest club in the world and I want to be here for a long time. I’ve always had the love of the people and that’s what’s important.”

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/mateu-alemany-confirma-queda-barca-87652465

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 13:50, John said:

He used us to get an improved contract perhaps? It has happened before and hopefully it will prove to be his loss. 

He's friends with Emery so I doubt it was that cynical. I do believe he was genuinely planning to join us but shit happens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Laporte "Asked for calm"! Alemany stayed! what a circus barca are haha!

The next batch of budget signings on 300k a week must be incoming

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad this mug didn't join. Made a lot of absolutely garbage deals. Chelsea and other stupid clubs buying rubbish off them doesn't make the deals good.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Â