Pre Match Thread Cup Final 2 of 10

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

A win is just too obvious here.  For that reason alone I don't think we are going to win.

That’s how I’m feeling. We’ve finally started to believe that we could achieve something. Just for us to be 2-0 down after 10 mins or something and our week of European hopes ended.
Seriously, I do think we will win but I’m not banking on it. 

• Like 2

Our biggest threat in this game is probably ourselves, if we go in thinking it's going to be easy, then will come short, like as happened reader at home to Leicester and against Stevenage, can't take anything for granted.

That's partly why I was glad that Leicester sacked Rodgers and there was a sense that they might play better and be more dangerous because of sacked manager bounce, take away any over confidence we might have, same with when we played Bournemouth and Everton, was happy for them to have a few good results beforehand, it's games where we're over confident about in which we seem to struggle.

But if we approach game in the right way should have an excellent chance of getting a win.

• Like 4

We need Bailey on to create, the problem with Forest will be breaking them down as they will all sit behind the ball and defend and try and hit us on the break. Bertie is to erratic to start (imo) he will give the ball away cheaply,  Bailey has started to improve in that way, he just needs to add creativity back into his game, he's capable of it. 

Having one right back is a problem for us and it won't be lost on them either, they will target that area no matter who starts.

This isn't going to be an easy game, harder than a no manager Leicester team. 

We should win but I just can't help thinking we may not......3-1 to the villa, Duran to score his first goal.  

Edited by tinker
Don't know my left from right
  • Like 1

Only thing concerning me is the media are suddenly all recognising emery is good, Gerrard was dire and we could be heading for a 6th place finish.

So the normal pundits who put us to lose ( sutton comes to mind) have got us to win. 

I liked it more when our results  were our dirty secret.

Hopefully the players keep listening to emery and don't get ahead of themselves as that's when things can go tits up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Here's a mad stat: that we haven't won three Premier League home games in a row since... 2007! 😮 Good grief. 🙄

We're breaking all sorts of records at the moment, just add this one to the list marked ✅

2 minutes ago, Frodo said:

We're breaking all sorts of records at the moment, just add this one to the list marked ✅

I really hope so ! 🤞

It's a bit ridiculous not to have won three times in a row at home in the PL since 2007. :s (Stat from the BBC by the way). I'm a bit surprised MON didn't achieve it.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

We need Bailey on to create, the problem with Forest will be breaking them down as they will all sit behind the ball and defend and try and hit us on the break. Bertie is to erratic to start (imo) he will give the ball away cheaply,  Bailey has started to improve in that way, he just needs to add creativity back into his game, he's capable of it. 

Having one right back is a problem for us and it won't be lost on them either, they will target that area no matter who starts.

This isn't going to be an easy game, harder than a no manager Leicester team. 

We should win but I just can't help thinking we may not......3-1 to the villa, Duran to score his first goal.  

Bailey was dire the other night and for a while now, he gives away possession way too much. I'd much rather a confident Traore start over Leon. But hopefully Kamara back fit is the best option.

I think we're OK with Ashley Young starting, he did well the other night despite their (really good) goal.

On paper, this is easier than Leicester away. Doesn't mean it's a gimme but one we should be winning.

3-0. 

@sidcow which bit of my random thought splurge confused you? Admit it wasn't my most well formed post but I was just putting out some thoughts that I was having.

Bailey looked terrible last game but seems a far better player at home. Is it unusual that I'm not convinced he'll perform against a Forest team that won't look to leave their own half?

Coutinho is injured so clearly can't play, but it's not a massive leap to say that he'd be a benefit if he was fit against a team that will make space very tight.

A team hasn't figured us out yet but, but it's not hugely wild to think someone might.  Admittedly forest probably not likely to be the team that do that, but if they do stay back stalling for a 0-0 we might struggle. Even teams that have played a low block have shown some adventure and we've exploited the gaps whenever they have.

Or was it the complete polar shift of my views at the end where I predict our biggest win in a long time despite my negative thoughts?

Genuinely intrigued. 

2 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Bailey was dire the other night and for a while now, he gives away possession way too much. I'd much rather a confident Traore start over Leon. But hopefully Kamara back fit is the best option.

I think we're OK with Ashley Young starting, he did well the other night despite their (really good) goal.

On paper, this is easier than Leicester away. Doesn't mean it's a gimme but one we should be winning.

3-0. 

Bailey wasn't great creatively but he wasn't as bad giving the ball away as he had been. The role as a creator in a possession based team is very difficult one,  a doubled edged sword, they have to take risks but not cheap ones.

Kamara would undoubtedly be a benefit with McGinn pushed out in Baileys role. If we need a goal late on then Bailey can come on.

Young has been fantastic for us but he's 37 and 3 games in 7 days is a lot to ask. I wouldn't  bet against him though, he's complete freak,  amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

I really hope so ! 🤞

It's a bit ridiculous not to have won three times in a row at home in the PL since 2007. :s (Stat from the BBC by the way). I'm a bit surprised MON didn't achieve it.

It’s not all too surprising. During our good years after 2007, we were a counter-attacking side. Teams could come to Villa Park, sit back, and then pounce. Only just now are we figuring out how to play with possession and it will still be a long afternoon on Saturday. 

• Like 1

I actually think this is one of the most important matches on the run in, not because of the opponent but because of how poor we have been against weaker teams.

Its much easier to play as the underdog than to play with expectation of winning and especially at Villa Park.

If we are to truly progress we need to stop making these matches seem so difficult.

Im not saying I'm especially worried, we have a style now and our ball retention is much much than it's has been in a looong time.

It doesn't have to be pretty but we need the W if we are to continue our progress to the end of the season.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

3-0. 

I’d agree Traore deserves a shot but a bit of me really wants to see what Duran can do given a start. Got a feeling him and Watkins would cause havoc. No idea how long he’d last but might be worth 50min or so.