Pre Match Thread Cup Final 2 of 10

TheAuthority

8 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I suspect Steve Cooper will stick to his strategy of defending and counter-attacking for 70 minutes and then hoping to have run the legs off Villa, go looking for a winner.

It worked against Man City but there is no Chris Wood due to injury.

This is a bit of tradition at Forest and I remember back in 1978, Villa pounding the Forest goal to no effect and then losing to a late goal.

I recall it seemed like us against Peter Shilton for 89 minutes and someone would pop up a goal from nowhere for Forest.

He was some keeper!

Edited by Lochheads twin

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bare bones still, but we're getting a tune out of them...

I think we'll see the same side as against Leicester with the only question marks being whether the full backs get freshened up or whether we use Traore over Bailey.

Again, that will leave us with only Chambers, Dendoncker, Digne, Traore and Duran as realistically usable outfield substitutes (maybe Diego Carlos at a push).

Keeping Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey fit, fresh and healthy could be the key to our season - lose one of those for a couple of weeks and I think we're cooked.

Don't see why Chambers can't get a start in this. He played 45 minutes v Chelsea and that was easily his best half of the season so don't see what the huge concern is starting him v one of the worst teams in the league.

Young looked pretty leggy v Leicester and a third start in a week might be too much as he will be tested given how direct Johnson is.

We also need Young fresh for Newcastle as no guarantee Cash will be available and ready to start in that one.

I'd start Traore aswell, guy's been involved now for over a month so pretty sure he's got 60 minutes in him.

Emery is surely too smart to just fall into the MON trap of not rotating just because we're winning a few games. Starting Chambers and Traore means we can freshen up while the core of the side (Mings-Kons-Luiz-SJM-Watkins) remains unchanged and that should be enough to win us the game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We’re a little short of senior bodies for this, so let’s stay injury free please and get another three points on the board. Personally, Traore deserves a start for me following his midweek cameo but I think Emery will stick with the same starting eleven from Leicester.

Martinez

Young       Konsa           Mings       Moreno

McGinn         Luiz

Ramsey                     Buendia

Traore       
                                   Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Sinisalo, Digne, Carlos, Chambers, Revan, Dendoncker, Bailey, Duran 

One or two are probably running on fumes right now but confidence is high and if we play anything like our best, we should win this.  3-1 win.  UTV

I would alter that a bit with Ramsey in the middle of an attacking midfield of buendia Ramsey (L) Bailey (R).  4-2-3-1.  Or 4-3-3 with midfield triangle with 2 at base.   JJ, sjm and Luiz could take turns up too

I think Bailey is ahead of Bertie because he’s a tiny bit better on defense.  

I think Villa will dominate the ball and Forest will sit deep. Not the game for Ramsey with not much space to run at. Bailey in for is unpredictable, Duran in for physicality, height and a extra striker in the box. This is a team I would go for 

------------------------ Martinez--------------------------

McGinn         Luiz

Bailey                              Buendia

Duran---Watkins

4 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I think Villa will dominate the ball and Forest will sit deep. Not the game for Ramsey with not much space to run at. Bailey in for is unpredictable, Duran in for physicality, height and a extra striker in the box. This is a team I would go for 

McGinn         Luiz

Duran---Watkins

Traore deserves the start for his match winner. Bailey is a void where our attacking impetus goes to die. Traore has a bit of magic in him and is the more dangerous player at this point in time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

McGinn         Luiz

Duran---Watkins

If Bailey or Traore start they need to be the 2nd forward with Watkins, not part of the midfield.  I think Ramsey where you have Bailey and Traore up front with Ollie is the way to go.  Duran's not ready for a start yet.

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

8 hours to go. cant wait for another 3 points 

Emery = Confidence, love it.

The Saunders ‘do you want to bet against us’ quote comes to mind. 

When’s the last time we’ve been able to feel like this, that we can give anyone a game?

I’m going 3:1 Villa win, with Ollie, Buendia, and Durán scoring

• Like 1

With them potentially doing a West Ham low block at VP could we possibly bring Donk in for Kamara to help cover for Johnson and push Luiz further forward alongside Buendia? They would help to pick the lock of the Forest defence but also have the defensive qualities to counter any breaks. We could then have Traore and Watkins up top with Traore dropping into the No 10, False No 9 position 

so….

Young.    Konsa.   Mings

McGinn.  Dendonker

Luiz.                      Buendia

Traore.      Watkins.       Moreno

12 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

We’re a little short of senior bodies for this, so let’s stay injury free please and get another three points on the board. Personally, Traore deserves a start for me following his midweek cameo but I think Emery will stick with the same starting eleven from Leicester.

Martinez

McGinn         Luiz

Ramsey                     Buendia

Traore       
                                   Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Sinisalo, Digne, Carlos, Chambers, Revan, Dendoncker, Bailey, Duran 

One or two are probably running on fumes right now but confidence is high and if we play anything like our best, we should win this.  3-1 win.  UTV

I’d be doubtful if Young started 3 games in a row so close to each other. May need rested. Other than that I’d go with that line up

I think the only change I’d make is Bailey for Traore. Not sure Young has 3 games in 7 days in the tank so maybe Chambers at right back. 

We are so short of numbers our team pretty much picks itself.  

• Like 2

I think this could be a banana skin.

form for form, we should win.....but when the responsibility ( at home) is on us to take the game to the opposition, I worry....we seem to leave ourselves open to the counter.

I still don't think we have enough "natural defenders" in the squad.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I’d be doubtful if Young started 3 games in a row so close to each other. May need rested. Other than that I’d go with that line up

I tend to agree but think Emery will start with Young for 60 minutes, then use Chambers for the final half hour to shut up shop.

Just no further injuries would be useful today.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We win this if we stay calm and keep our cool.

Don't let the inpatient crowd get to the players.

Not sure Villa fans stuck in hospital will influence the players today.  The hospital is too far away to be heard 😉😂

• Haha 4

I don’t think he will start but I’d love to see Duran score. 

I still remember the celebrations when Savo got his first goal, the place went crazy and I think it will be the same with Duran. 

As OBE mentioned above, we are a bit short on numbers for this so it will be difficult after a such a quick turn around, but i think we can get the win. 

3-1