Pre Match Thread Cup Final 2 of 10

TheAuthority

25 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I’d agree Traore deserves a shot but a bit of me really wants to see what Duran can do given a start. Got a feeling him and Watkins would cause havoc. No idea how long he’d last but might be worth 50min or so. 

There's no way Duran is ready to start. He needs a loan out next season but for now a few cameos is fine. Whilst there is a chance to qualify for Europe, however unlikely, we shouldn't be starting fringe players.

• Like 1

With the amount of good chances Villa create in games these days, I think there’s a game soon when it all clicks and somebody is on the end of a smashing. 

Biggest concern for tomorrow is complacency. Fans will be going tomorrow expecting a win, players will probably be confident of a win and Forest are desperate for points tomorrow. Wouldn’t be surprised if Villa have to win the hard way tomorrow but also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a 4/5-0 smashing and Watkins scores multiple times.

• Like 1

I think it’ll be a draw, surely we can’t win again and in the third of three games in a week with what I assume will be largely the same starting XI? 

I don’t follow forest closely so no idea if they’ve been rotating players but they have a squad of about 40 so I’m sure they have more ‘options’ than us, they really need a result and we seem to draw with them quite a bit over recent games (championship).

If we do draw it will obviously be disappointing but I’d have taken 4 points from Leicester away and forest home at the start of this week.

I suspect Steve Cooper will stick to his strategy of defending and counter-attacking for 70 minutes and then hoping to have run the legs off Villa, go looking for a winner.

It worked against Man City but there is no Chris Wood due to injury.

This is a bit of tradition at Forest and I remember back in 1978, Villa pounding the Forest goal to no effect and then losing to a late goal.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

No idea. I gave that reaction on the train home last night when I was exceptionally drunk after an all day drinking session. Frankly pressing the button to open the train door would have been confusing to me. 

Been there, done that 🍺

• Like 1

Bare bones still, but we're getting a tune out of them...

I think we'll see the same side as against Leicester with the only question marks being whether the full backs get freshened up or whether we use Traore over Bailey.

Again, that will leave us with only Chambers, Dendoncker, Digne, Traore and Duran as realistically usable outfield substitutes (maybe Diego Carlos at a push).

Keeping Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey fit, fresh and healthy could be the key to our season - lose one of those for a couple of weeks and I think we're cooked.

• Like 2

you have to go back 7 games to 1994 for the last time Forest beat us at VP.

our home record against them is quite good.

I see no reason why we don't win this barring a freak incident.

Players know that if they lose this then Cooper will be out. They are going to storm out at us . They genuinely love him as their manager. 

So we are going to have to stand up to that . But this is the Unai era. He knows this already. He will have planned for it. In fact he probably wants them to storm at us so we can hit em on the counter . 

We’re a little short of senior bodies for this, so let’s stay injury free please and get another three points on the board. Personally, Traore deserves a start for me following his midweek cameo but I think Emery will stick with the same starting eleven from Leicester.

Martinez

Young       Konsa           Mings       Moreno

McGinn         Luiz

Ramsey                     Buendia

Traore       
                                   Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Sinisalo, Digne, Carlos, Chambers, Revan, Dendoncker, Bailey, Duran 

One or two are probably running on fumes right now but confidence is high and if we play anything like our best, we should win this.  3-1 win.  UTV

• Like 1