Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bassey we definitely got away with not signing. Has been a dreadful signing for Ajax

People thought he was better than Mings when we were linked 😂

Lol, I never thought he was better than Mings... I was actually looking at him for Left Back, and to be Mings backup.

Haven't followed up on him, only evidence I had to go by was that outstanding performance he had for Rangers around the same time.

Knew nout about him prior.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This ain’t going to go down well 😊 

Why? Do you mean priority positions or it would be enough?  

As for me, I think the new roles he said and the McGinn/Ramsey role in that pic are priority for upgrading.  I’m assuming Carlos replaces Konsa in that pic.

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I take it the Phillips links are just pure clickbait because he wants to leave City and we were linked with him before?

I take it that way too. He had his chance, but he listened to his grandmother;). Pep doesn't rush new signings into his starting line-up, as Jack found out, unless they are as ready as Haaland was. I think he will give it another season and if he does move it will be to the likes of Newton Heath, Liverpool or Newcastle, who were interested before he left for Citeh. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why? Do you mean priority positions or it would be enough?  

As for me, I think the new roles he said and the McGinn/Ramsey role in that pic are priority for upgrading.  I’m assuming Carlos replaces Konsa in that pic.

Because he missed out Buendia completely.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll want:

• A lead GK (Martinez)
  • A solid back up keeper (maybe Olsen but I'd be in favour of a change)
  • A young keeper for emergencies (Sinisalo)

Two right backs:

• Cash
  • Another (especially if we don't re-sign Young)

Two Left backs

• Moreno
  • Digne (who I don't think we'll be able to move on easily)

Four centre backs

• Mings
  • Konsa
  • Carlos (if his knee allows)
  • One more - depending on how Emery feels about these three - perhaps a starting one

Four holding midfielders

• Starter - Luiz
  • Starter - Kamara
  • Back up - Dendoncker 
  • Young one - Iroegbunam

Four advanced midfielders 

• McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Buendia
  • One more - again depending on how Emery feels about these three- potentially a starter

Two mobile forward/wingers

• Potentially Duran
  • One more 

Two central strikers 

• Watkins 
  • One more (or Duran and two wide forwards)

In that, i think we'd be open to getting rid of:

• Traore
  • Steer
  • Chambers
  • Coutinho
  • Olsen
  • Bailey
  • Archer
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba

And bringing in:

• A back up keeper
  • A right back
  • A centre back
  • An advanced midfielder
  • A winger/forward
  • A forward

There are loads of ways we can save money for better targets within that - we could keep Olsen, keep Archer, re-sign Young, use Kesler-Hayden or one of the other youngsters - and I think we'll be in a position where hopefully we can concentrate on bringing in quality in key positions.

I think the key will be getting the right forward player(s).

It is the forwards that will define this redesign i agree. And we might see some shock outs as well . 

Abraham  Williams and maybe Goncalves would be a huge outlay but would give us the pace creativty and physical presence to add to the rapidly improving Duran. 

I do not know why but i see Watkins at Arsenal. The 6 yard box Watkins rather than running the channels Watkins. He would be something new for them especially with him being a fan. We could screw 50 out of them and then pay 40 for Abraham . Who would do well for Emery. Knows the club  enjoyed his time. 

Nico Williams is still young. Not good enough YET  to be a guaranteed starter for one of the bigguns . But at the age of 20 still we could get some good years out of him and then either sell or he becomes a major threat in our European adventures.

If we got him we would possibly sell Bailey . Still only 26 and now 2 years into his contract we could sell for around 13 to 15 and not be harmed by ffp. 

Goncalves seems a good mix of a Buendia and McGinn. Huge goal threat. Huge assist threat. Not silky smooth like Couthino. But clever . .. if we got him we might sell Buendia.  I love Emi but he might be one to go as we are likely not to retain the ball when he is playing. Gives you a huge upside one way but goes against the identity Emery clearly wants

Theres lots of things that might happen but up front is where we need to improve the consistency.  Thats going to get us further up the table, not just the talent which many of our forwards have, but we do not see as regularly as needed. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

So we are selling and bringing in two new right backs? Just don't see that happening.

I don't see us selling much beyond the fringe guys tbh. This summer should be focusing on the gaps and few key areas where we need to improve, not having massive turnover.

Right back I think we have a gap, which we fill with a different profile of full back to Cash, and one who is better or at least as good as Cash because I think majority of signings we make now need to improve first XI, not just add back ups. (I don't think Cash is anywhere as bad as you've made out btw, his biggest weakness is his delivery and that's less an issue when he's holding position.)

None of that means we sell Cash. I don't think we'd be actively looking to sell. If we do it's just another player we need to go out and get that probably costs more than Cash in the long run. Cash will still get plenty of minutes in changing systems, in rotation during games, could also an option further forward.

If we get a crazy offer from someone for him? Maybe then he goes, but that probably goes for a lot of the players.

It's not simply a case of selling Cash and bringing in two RBs. It would be - buy one RB who's better suited to the defensive RB role, and sell Cash, rather than let his value dwindle while he earns 80,000 a week sitting on the bench.

Beyond that, we currently have Young, Konsa, Chambers and KKH, so as it stands, we have adequate cover in the squad. A hypothetical second RB would be entirely dependent on some of those leaving, and unless we qualify for Europe this season, is probably more of a consideration for Summer 2024, by which time our situation might be much different.

Young may get another year. If that happens, it probably means a 2nd RB wouldn't be needed and I would also expect that KKH would be kept around with the opportunity to compete for the position. If he can't beat out a 38 year old Young for minutes as the backup\more attacking option, he probably won't make it at Villa.

If Young doesn't get another contract and Emery decides KKH isn't ready, only then would it be worth considering signing a second RB. And even then you have lots of options that would offer better flexibility, value and potential than Cash.

There also were rumours that Chambers was told he could leave in January, and if that is true, he would need to be replaced, which would be another opportunity to add cover and competition for that RCB position without bloating the squad before we have European football to justify it.

All this talk about signing Williams, Goncalves, Ugarte, Guendouzi, etc. We need to bring in some transfer fees in order to stay within FFP. Keeping a valuable asset, who would probably draw plenty of transfer interest, to primarily sit on the bench is just terrible business.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll want:

• A lead GK (Martinez)

Two right backs:

• Cash

Two Left backs

• Moreno

Four centre backs

• Mings
  • Konsa
  • One more - depending on how Emery feels about these three - perhaps a starting one

Four holding midfielders

• Starter - Luiz
  • Starter - Kamara
  • Back up - Dendoncker 
  • Young one - Iroegbunam

• McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Buendia
  • One more - again depending on how Emery feels about these three- potentially a starter

• Potentially Duran
  • One more 

Two central strikers 

• Watkins 

• Traore
  • Steer
  • Chambers
  • Coutinho
  • Olsen
  • Bailey
  • Archer
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba

And bringing in:

• A back up keeper
  • A right back
  • A centre back
  • An advanced midfielder
  • A winger/forward
  • A forward

There are loads of ways we can save money for better targets within that - we could keep Olsen, keep Archer, re-sign Young, use Kesler-Hayden or one of the other youngsters - and I think we'll be in a position where hopefully we can concentrate on bringing in quality in key positions.

I'm fine with keeping Bailey for the squad. Imagine one of Duran or Archer will be loaned (maybe even to Vitoria) and the other kept as Watkins' back up.

I'm happy with that and would prefer us to just go all out and get the best player we can to play alongside Watkins in the first XI - a Nico Williams type - and agree that it's the key signing.

I think we can manage with just one defensive signing, who can play both RB and CB - e.g. Foyth. 

Then in midfield again, someone who can play deep but also further forward - e.g. Guendouzi. 

Three quality signings is all that's needed - anything above that is a bonus, although I agree that ideally we'd have a better back up GK than Olsen too. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

It's not simply a case of selling Cash and bringing in two RBs. It would be - buy one RB who's better suited to the defensive RB role, and sell Cash, rather than let his value dwindle while he earns 80,000 a week sitting on the bench.

He's 25 and contracted to 2027. There's little risk of his value dwindling in the short term. And I very much doubt he'd be permanently sat on the bench if we do sign someone - I'd expect more of a rotation and use for specific circumstances like we've seen at left back, and like Emery appears to have operated with previously.

31 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

If Young doesn't get another contract and Emery decides KKH isn't ready

I think there's a reasonable chance of this being the case. I could see Young staying but perhaps in a player coach role where we'd probably still look to have two RBs ahead of him. And KKH is much less suited to the defensive RB role than Cash (though IMO Cash is nowhere near as bad as is being implied) and doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in right now so seems unlikely he'd be involved. A better loan next season seems likely aim.

41 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

We need to bring in some transfer fees in order to stay within FFP. Keeping a valuable asset, who would probably draw plenty of transfer interest, to primarily sit on the bench is just terrible business.

We've got enough leeway to make the changes being talked about without major outgoings this season. I'd expect sale of loans and more fringe players would be the priority, which will be more than enough to keep us the right side of FFP. And as I said before I'd expect us to get plenty of use out of Cash even with another player brought in. He's not costing us a lot right now (I don't believe for a second he's on as much as £80K pw, but even if he is his amortisation cost is probably less than £2M a year, so he's £6M max hit to FFP. Pretty sure Dendoncker for example will be costing more than that. Wesley probably is as much in amortisation alone lol.), is performing well, is a good age and is secured for the long term. Unless someone pays well over the odds or he's genuinely not fancied by Emery then I don't see why we'd let a settled and decent option go and risk the replacement not being as good while possibly costing more.

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As much as i want it to happen i just don't think we are after tammy

I think we could havw got him in jan if we wanted him

He's interviewed in this month's FourFourTwo magazine. Says he was going to join Arsenal in summer 2021 if Roma hadn't come in last minute. So I think those links to him that summer were just that.

We've moved on and he has and I don't think he's the type of forward we'll be looking for under Emery with how we've been playing. If someone like Bowen comes onto the market then I think his skillset suits Emery's system much more. Plus many options abroad like Nico Williams.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's interviewed in this month's FourFourTwo magazine. Says he was going to join Arsenal in summer 2021 if Roma hadn't come in last minute. So I think those links to him that summer were just that.

We've moved on and he has and I don't think he's the type of forward we'll be looking for under Emery with how we've been playing. If someone like Bowen comes onto the market then I think his skillset suits Emery's system much more. Plus many options abroad like Nico Williams.

We were never in for him, was just lazy journalism and any speculation on here is usually people that think he is the only striker in football

He has a goal more than Buendia this season and 2 more than Leon Bailey

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll want:

• A lead GK (Martinez)

Two right backs:

• Cash

Two Left backs

• Moreno

Four centre backs

• Mings
  • Konsa

Four holding midfielders

• Starter - Luiz
  • Starter - Kamara
  • Back up - Dendoncker 
  • Young one - Iroegbunam

• McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Buendia

• Potentially Duran
  • One more 

Two central strikers 

• Watkins 

• Traore
  • Steer
  • Chambers
  • Coutinho
  • Olsen
  • Bailey
  • Archer
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba

And bringing in:

• A back up keeper
  • A right back
  • A centre back
  • An advanced midfielder
  • A winger/forward
  • A forward

Pretty close to my thoughts. Would add a few more names to the outs (Wesley, Davis, Hause, possibly Barry and JPB as well with their contacts running down) and could see any of Chambers, Coutinho (could be a him or Buendia situation), Olsen, Bailey and Archer staying.

Bailey there's definitely a decision to make regards cashing in or extending with where his contract is at and how much he's costing us. (Same for Watkins actually, though his performances make the latter seem much more likely than the former.) I think Bailey could find a place in the team, he's definitely got the ability and I don't think his current role is necessarily the best for him. He could do with an uptick in form before the season is out to help his case.

Olsen is a weird one. He's clearly not good enough to start regularly but then he doesn't need to be. If he's happy in that role and he's not costing us a lot (I imagine any replacement would be at least as much) then it's not too much of an issue. He clearly has some ability and some flaws, the latter possibly appear worse due to his minimal playing time. I think it would come more down to suitablility for Emery's style than level of ability.