Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is ‘fine’ good enough though?

If we’re going to break into the top 6, surely RB is a position we can upgrade on? 

It is definitely if we get another brilliant forward, midfielder and centre half.

I don't think a better right back is where our money has the most impact on the side. Especially when their job is to sit back in half the games.

45 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It is definitely if we get another brilliant forward, midfielder and centre half.

I don't think a better right back is where our money has the most impact on the side. Especially when their job is to sit back in half the games.

Yeh, fair assessment. 

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not having a go at you specifically but I keep hearing this replace the RB rhetoric...

However last few games Cash has been a standout performer for me (and others) his player thread justifies this too.

Cash is still relatively young, quick and can improve under Emery.

I see the forward areas where we need to improve on if we are looking to sign players.

The RB talk is a few things:

• Emery has history of playing the 442 with one attacking and one more defensive full back, the latter perhaps closer to a centre back a la Foyth. This may be a direction Emery wants to go in again and given who we already have at LB, then RB is the more obvious position for this.
  • we are potentially light in that area if Young doesn't continue next season, so it becomes an easier position to improve on without upsetting the current squad too much or forcing sales.
  • we should be aiming for two quality players in every position, perhaps even more so at full back where in-game rotation I think tends to be higher (see our left backs)
  • the majority of signings from now on should be improvements to first xi, or at very least on par with existing option. RB is still in top half for me in terms of where this is most possible as there are a number of other positions that would be more difficult, if not impossible to realistically improve on.
  • talk of bringing in another right back started when we were still flipping between him and Young and so there was perhaps more of a question over this position. Though his recent form doesn't neccessarily invalidate some the points above.

I'm not sure much of the talk is about outright replacing and selling Cash. It certainly isn't from my perspective. He's a good player, good age, long contract, relatively cheap and helps with home grown quotas. It's just through a combination of factors as mentioned above that position is IMO likely at the higher end of our priorities this summer.

• Thanks 1

I think we'll sign a CB who can play RB.

Emery likes tactical flexibility and that option will be appealing, though Konsa could also potentially do it. Mings is clearly a starter and Carlos may play alongside him - though Carlos can also play left sided and we'll have to see how he is after his injury. 

I don't see us selling Cash and I still expect him to start plenty of games for us next season. 

19 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I think we'll sign a CB who can play RB.

Emery likes tactical flexibility and that option will be appealing, though Konsa could also potentially do it. Mings is clearly a starter and Carlos may play alongside him - though Carlos can also play left sided and we'll have to see how he is after his injury. 

I don't see us selling Cash and I still expect him to start plenty of games for us next season. 

Foyth?

I'd also like a CB who can play LB just as competently too, as cover for Mings too.

Another reason I was so interested in Bassey when their were links.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Foyth?

I'd also like a CB who can play LB just as competently too, as cover for Mings too.

Another reason I was so interested in Bassey when there were links.

Not sure about LB but if we’re looking for a left footed CB I’d go for Inacio at Sporting

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Foyth?

Can't see it. Digne isn't going anywhere on his contract so there's two good options there and I think we'll focus one defensive signing on the CB/RB role. 

• Like 1

I have no idea, where we will be looking to strenghten.

I have my opinions, but I didn't expect a left back in January, so opinions are worthless.....Albeit, happy with the signing.

The clickbaiters, must be pulling their hair out, with Villa, as they have us linked with every player with a pulse.

It will be interesting to see, who comes in.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If he wants a defensive full back he should see if Man Utd still want rid of Wan Bissaka

I'd genuinely love Tierney here.

Still only 25 I think with endless european experience.

Emery signed him and played him regularly for Arsenal and you'd think he'll win the league there and look to move to side to play every week so he'd be a good fit for where we're going I reckon.

People want more quick players in our side, him putting the after burners on and leaving Dani Carvajal in his wake shows what he's about and he can defend fine aswell.

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd genuinely love Tierney here.

Still only 25 I think with endless european experience.

Emery signed him and played him regularly for Arsenal and you'd think he'll win the league there and look to move to side to play every week so he'd be a good fit for where we're going I reckon.

People want more quick players in our side, him putting the after burners on and leaving Dani Carvajal in his wake shows what he's about and he can defend fine aswell.

Great player, it's the injuries that is the issues, probably would still be starting in that arsenal team only for it

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Great player, it's the injuries that is the issues, probably would still be starting in that arsenal team only for it

Nah he's been fit for most of the season but Arteta just went with Zinchenko at LB which is fair enough given his undoubted quality.

Tierney is too good to be bench warming so he's got a decision to make end of the season and getting a title medal will be perfect time to leave.

43 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Tierney has Newcastle all over it  burn and targett are their 2 options. By far their weakest position.  

Could see that. A year ago you'd have said likes of Leicester and West Ham would've been interested but now those two don't look like such great options and both could still go down so I think we can have a serious chance if Emery decides he wants to work with him again.

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Tierney has Newcastle all over it  burn and targett are their 2 options. By far their weakest position.  

We would need to be able to sell Digne to be able to buy Tierney.

Also I doubt it would be a priority for Emery given he has signed a left back already.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Foyth?

Bassey we definitely got away with not signing. Has been a dreadful signing for Ajax

People thought he was better than Mings when we were linked 😂

• Like 1