Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We were never in for him, was just lazy journalism and any speculation on here is usually people that think he is the only striker in football

He has a goal more than Buendia this season and 2 more than Leon Bailey

Yeah but the season before he scored a significant amount.  Buendias never hit anywhere near that for us

I agree with your point though dobt think we are in for him unfortunately 

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll want:

• A lead GK (Martinez)
  • A solid back up keeper (maybe Olsen but I'd be in favour of a change)
  • A young keeper for emergencies (Sinisalo)

Two right backs:

• Cash
  • Another (especially if we don't re-sign Young)

Two Left backs

• Moreno
  • Digne (who I don't think we'll be able to move on easily)

Four centre backs

• Mings
  • Konsa
  • Carlos (if his knee allows)
  • One more - depending on how Emery feels about these three - perhaps a starting one

Four holding midfielders

• Starter - Luiz
  • Starter - Kamara
  • Back up - Dendoncker 
  • Young one - Iroegbunam

Four advanced midfielders 

• McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Buendia
  • One more - again depending on how Emery feels about these three- potentially a starter

Two mobile forward/wingers

• Potentially Duran
  • One more 

Two central strikers 

• Watkins 
  • One more (or Duran and two wide forwards)

In that, i think we'd be open to getting rid of:

• Traore
  • Steer
  • Chambers
  • Coutinho
  • Olsen
  • Bailey
  • Archer
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba

And bringing in:

• A back up keeper
  • A right back
  • A centre back
  • An advanced midfielder
  • A winger/forward
  • A forward

There are loads of ways we can save money for better targets within that - we could keep Olsen, keep Archer, re-sign Young, use Kesler-Hayden or one of the other youngsters - and I think we'll be in a position where hopefully we can concentrate on bringing in quality in key positions.

I think the key will be getting the right forward player(s).

sorry don't give a feck about the rest of that post you've got dendonker in the keep pile.  FECK THAT. 

9 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

He's 25 and contracted to 2027. There's little risk of his value dwindling in the short term. And I very much doubt he'd be permanently sat on the bench if we do sign someone - I'd expect more of a rotation and use for specific circumstances like we've seen at left back, and like Emery appears to have operated with previously.

I think there's a reasonable chance of this being the case. I could see Young staying but perhaps in a player coach role where we'd probably still look to have two RBs ahead of him. And KKH is much less suited to the defensive RB role than Cash (though IMO Cash is nowhere near as bad as is being implied) and doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in right now so seems unlikely he'd be involved. A better loan next season seems likely aim.

We've got enough leeway to make the changes being talked about without major outgoings this season. I'd expect sale of loans and more fringe players would be the priority, which will be more than enough to keep us the right side of FFP. And as I said before I'd expect us to get plenty of use out of Cash even with another player brought in. He's not costing us a lot right now (I don't believe for a second he's on as much as £80K pw, but even if he is his amortisation cost is probably less than £2M a year, so he's £6M max hit to FFP. Pretty sure Dendoncker for example will be costing more than that. Wesley probably is as much in amortisation alone lol.), is performing well, is a good age and is secured for the long term. Unless someone pays well over the odds or he's genuinely not fancied by Emery then I don't see why we'd let a settled and decent option go and risk the replacement not being as good while possibly costing more.

Contract figures from here: https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/aston-villa-fc/matty-cash-50107/#:~:text=Matty Cash signed a 5,cap hit of £4%2C160%2C000. The previous wage was reported elsewhere after he signed as well. He was among our highest earners when he signed, which I always thought was bizarre. 

I don't see how you can bring up Dendonker and still miss the point about value dwindling while a guys sits on the bench. Cash has been playing, so his value has been increasing or at least maintaining. Dendonker has been sitting on the bench, so no-one is going to pay more for him now than when we signed him. Dendonker has 30 caps for one of the top teams in world football over the last few years. We got him cheap because his contract was running down. 13m was good value for a player of his pedigree. But no one is going to pay that for him now after playing about 6 hours of football all year. 

Same way that if we wait until Cash has been sitting on the bench for a year before trying to sell him, his value will have dwindled massively. If we sell Cash this summer, it would probably be at least +20m towards FFP. If we sold Dendonker, we'd struggle to break even and would probably make a loss. 

Emery rotated right backs in much different situations. At Villa, we've only seen him use an attacking RB once or twice, because we're not as good relative to the league as almost every other team he's managed in the past. At Villareal, he was way more defensive against the top teams and in Europe and changed it up completely against the bottom half in La Liga. 

If we ever get to that level that we regularly need an attacking RB, we'll need someone much better than Cash at that anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll want:

• A lead GK (Martinez)
  • A solid back up keeper (maybe Olsen but I'd be in favour of a change)
  • A young keeper for emergencies (Sinisalo)

Two right backs:

• Cash
  • Another (especially if we don't re-sign Young)

Two Left backs

• Moreno
  • Digne (who I don't think we'll be able to move on easily)

Four centre backs

• Mings
  • Konsa
  • Carlos (if his knee allows)
  • One more - depending on how Emery feels about these three - perhaps a starting one

Four holding midfielders

• Starter - Luiz
  • Starter - Kamara
  • Back up - Dendoncker 
  • Young one - Iroegbunam

Four advanced midfielders 

• McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Buendia
  • One more - again depending on how Emery feels about these three- potentially a starter

Two mobile forward/wingers

• Potentially Duran
  • One more 

Two central strikers 

• Watkins 
  • One more (or Duran and two wide forwards)

In that, i think we'd be open to getting rid of:

• Traore
  • Steer
  • Chambers
  • Coutinho
  • Olsen
  • Bailey
  • Archer
  • Sanson
  • Nakamba

And bringing in:

• A back up keeper
  • A right back
  • A centre back
  • An advanced midfielder
  • A winger/forward
  • A forward

There are loads of ways we can save money for better targets within that - we could keep Olsen, keep Archer, re-sign Young, use Kesler-Hayden or one of the other youngsters - and I think we'll be in a position where hopefully we can concentrate on bringing in quality in key positions.

I think the key will be getting the right forward player(s).

An excellent forecast of our potential in & outs. 

For me: We keep keep Martinez and I can't see us looking for another number two. We also keep Young, so unless someone unexpected becomes available, I don't see us spending on a back up right back. I suspect we will stick with our present left backs and look to add another central defender. In the middle, I would lose Dendoncker (if we can get anything for him) and bring in a replacement, I would also keep Coutinho as a fourth more advanced midfielder, but bring in another one.  I think we will be looking for one striker (potentially one who can play wide, as well as in the middle) and having Archer as the first cab off the rank off the bench next season. I agree with the rest of your potential outs and wonder if UE may bring any other of our current loan players into the squad. So it would be a central defender, a holding midfielder, another advanced midfielder and one forward for me.  

10 hours ago, burchy said:

Apologies if posted already but we’re after another Young Scot in Aiden Borland from Celtic

Hoovering up the young Scottish talent aren't we? He is a midfielder who has played 8 Scotland U16 games and has captained Scotland at youth level. 

Daily Record link: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aidan-borland-nearing-celtic-transfer-29584480

2 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Contract figures from here: https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/aston-villa-fc/matty-cash-50107/#:~:text=Matty Cash signed a 5,cap hit of £4%2C160%2C000. The previous wage was reported elsewhere after he signed as well. He was among our highest earners when he signed, which I always thought was bizarre.

Not a lot of faith in these websites given some of the clearly nonsense figures theyve reported for others. Highly unlikely they have anything like the kind of sources they have for US sports, which is what they are really for. Either way like I said even assuming he's on £80K a week the total cost of him is still reasonable for his position in the squad, hence the Dendoncker point because at this moment in time he's costing us more than Cash is, and I'd expect us to get a lot more use out of Cash than Dendoncker next season even in a diminished role.

3 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I don't see how you can bring up Dendonker and still miss the point about value dwindling while a guys sits on the bench. Cash has been playing, so his value has been increasing or at least maintaining. Dendonker has been sitting on the bench, so no-one is going to pay more for him now than when we signed him. Dendonker has 30 caps for one of the top teams in world football over the last few years. We got him cheap because his contract was running down. 13m was good value for a player of his pedigree. But no one is going to pay that for him now after playing about 6 hours of football all year. 

Same way that if we wait until Cash has been sitting on the bench for a year before trying to sell him, his value will have dwindled massively. If we sell Cash this summer, it would probably be at least +20m towards FFP. If we sold Dendonker, we'd struggle to break even and would probably make a loss. 

I'm not missing the point about his value dropping. I just don't think 1) his minutes would drop off anything like what you are suggesting, 2) he's as bad a player, either going forward or defensively, as you are suggesting, 3) his value is going to tank drastically enough that we need to sell now, given his age, contract length and the level of involvement I'd still expect him to have and 4) we wouldn't get similar cash in for a number of players contributing less and costing us more right now.

What price do you think we'd get for him now? How much worse would that realistically be a summer down the line when he's still only 26/27 with 3 years still left on his contract. Is that drop a price worth paying to keep a settled player of his ability in the squad? I think so. Especially as FFP is unlikely to be a critical issue this summer for our spending, and given the current run we are on, I'd lean towards keeping as much of the squad who are contributing now as we can and adding to that in 3/4 areas.

I wonder if the links to Goncalves are us thinking about having players that are more in the mould of a No10 to allow us to counter the low block that some of the lower end teams have employed against us.

I’d still like to see us go for some pace and skill to provide competition for Bailey but with players like Goncalves, or Kudus who I like at Ajax, they give you options as they can drop deeper. 

This would allow us to play a 4231 perhaps with most of the 3 being made up of No10 type players to breakdown the lines of the low block opposition, say Goncalves, Buendia centrally and then perhaps Luiz (if we’re in for another CDM), McGinn and/or New RM/RW?

If we get ahead we then have the option to revert back to the pacy RW as a sub option and change our shape to play more on the counter (in the more traditional sense). 

On 30/03/2023 at 00:47, A'Villan said:

@OutByEaster?

Admittedly I've been absent, for longer than I'd like. I've been watching highlights of every fixture but that doesn't tell the tale of 90 minutes.

I'm curious here though, why doesn't Bailey make the grade?

There is a bunch of reasons, the main one is, he can't beat his man, with any regularity.

It doesn't really matter how you do it as a player, (within the laws of the game) but you have to dominate your opposite number, and give them a hard time.

He struggles to make an impact in that way.

I am confused by all the earlier comments, that he hs pace.......where is it?

I don't know, the specific answers to the questions, but like Traore, he loses the ball too easily.

we have spent c £ 50 mill on 2 wingers, who offer very little.

Edited by TRO

Wonder if liverpool will be allowing any of their attacking players to go in summer?

They have salah nunez jota diaz  gapko

Firminho is off he might be good cover and i think jota might be sold. Id take him too

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder if liverpool will be allowing any of their attacking players to go in summer?

They have salah nunez jota diaz  gapko

Firminho is off he might be good cover and i think jota might be sold. Id take him too

• Salah would cost too much and would have better options than Villa if he even wanted to leave Liverpool at this time
  • No way they let Nunez, Diaz, & Gakpo go so soon after buying them
  • Jota just signed a new long term deal this season, so he isn't going anywhere either
  • Firmino will be 32 in October and will demand wages way too high to be a rotation option for us
  • Like 1