Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

52 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t know how many times I have to mention this but it’s not unusual to have 2 keepers on the bench most La liga teams have 2 on the bench , Emery made 5 subs against West Ham Moyes waited until the 80th minute only to bring 2 subs on from what was a very strong bench.

Not being unusual doesn't make it right. People like Coldplay, etc...

However, I would like to see the stats on how many times two keeper substitutions have been made as a percentage of total matches plus (and this is the harder part) how many times that change would've been made had the team in question had the available remaining substitutions and a second keeper on the bench to do so.

Then we can argue about the risk/reward.

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Not being unusual doesn't make it right. People like Coldplay, etc...

However, I would like to see the stats on how many times two keeper substitutions have been made as a percentage of total matches plus (and this is the harder part) how many times that change would've been made had the team in question had the available remaining substitutions and a second keeper on the bench to do so.

Then we can argue about the risk/reward.

I read that Emery said he has 2 keepers on the bench so they have 3 available for shooting practice before the game.  That would make more sense than as you say, preparing for losing 2 keepers during a match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t know how many times I have to mention this but it’s not unusual to have 2 keepers on the bench most La liga teams have 2 on the bench , Emery made 5 subs against West Ham Moyes waited until the 80th minute only to bring 2 subs on from what was a very strong bench.

Great. It's still a waste. The only instance I have been able to find where 3 GKs have been used in a match is West Ham in 1986, and a cup game involving Shrewsbury in 1982. And Valladolid in La Liga, also in 1986, but the third GK came on as a CB, which kind of reinforces my point. Happy to accommodate and change my mind if you or anyone else can find other examples. 

Edit. As an aside, only 4 teams have ever used 3 goalkeepers at a world cup, and that is across the whole tournament. 

Edited by HKP90

I don't think it's insurance against 2 injuries

Its a case of not trusting either back up, olssen won't be here next season as he's not good enough, sinsalo will be back up but there's not the confidence in him yet

Emery is giving the kid the experience of the match day squad while knowing that if it's 0-0 and martinez gets injured after 5 mins he has olssen to bring on rather than chuck the kid on, martinez gets injured in the 85th minute and were 2-0 up (or down) the kid comes on

The argument is whether or not another kid in the squad should get the benefit of that experience instead

• Like 3

It's a moot point at the moment as we don't even have enough outfield players to max out the bench anyway.

And when we do, who's to say Emery won't revert back to one goalkeeper.

It is much more likely that its being done to get Sinisalo familiar with the setup whilst expecting that Olsen won't be here next season. And as @villa4europe said, the game situation at the time of any injury may make it better for us to bring Sinisalo on rather than Olsen.

The line about shooting practice doesn't stack up for me. The coaches are on the pitch with the players at the start, i'm sure that our youth keeper would be allowed on even if they weren't named on the bench.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's a moot point at the moment as we don't even have enough outfield players to max out the bench anyway.

And when we do, who's to say Emery won't revert back to one goalkeeper.

It is much more likely that its being done to get Sinisalo familiar with the setup whilst expecting that Olsen won't be here next season. And as @villa4europe said, the game situation at the time of any injury may make it better for us to bring Sinisalo on rather than Olsen.

The line about shooting practice doesn't stack up for me. The coaches are on the pitch with the players at the start, i'm sure that our youth keeper would be allowed on even if they weren't named on the bench.

I was thinking the same.

Cyle Larin is scoring at a decent rate for Valladolid since going there in January. Had a good record for Beskitas aswell.

Might be a decent option to add depth and back up to Ollie while Duran develops. He'd certainly cost significantly less than Jonathan David aswell.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Cyle Larin is scoring at a decent rate for Valladolid since going there in January. Had a good record for Beskitas aswell.

Might be a decent option to add depth and back up to Ollie while Duran develops. He'd certainly cost significantly less than Jonathan David aswell.

I've seen a fair few Canada games, so I'd say I've seen more of Larin and David than most on here.

Larin is technically nowhere near PL level. He's big and athletic, so he scores some goals. But he's not a good player. Even at MLS level where he scored a bunch of goals, he looked very raw and based on his international performances, he hasn't improved much. He's a smaller Chris Wood.

Even David, I don't really see any significant improvement over Watkins if any at all. If Watkins missed the type of chances that David missed against fairly shit opposition, Villa fans would have completely disowned him. Which a lot of Villa fans already did with Watkins.

I wouldn't expect a better finisher with David. He makes some great runs, so he might get on the end of some better chances, but it's also possible we're not able to create those chances for him. For Canada, he's been gifted some great opportunities by some shit defences, and he takes only some of those chances. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If we looked at any hybrid wingback/winger option who was Canadian I’d say Tajon Buchanan. I know he’s been linked with Inter recently though. 

I really like Buchanan as well. For me, Davies is by far Canada's best player, David second and Buchanan third. I think Buchanan is way closer to David than David is to Davies.

He hasn't been doing that well at Bruges so far, but I think he'll be really good for a team that uses him right. Atletico Madrid would be a great move for him I think, although it's a bit of a stretch right now. Don't think he'd be a good signing for Villa though. Just not the right fit.

• Like 1

So according to Italian gossip Roma have almost halved their asking price for Tammy and are "only" asking for about £35m now. Still wouldn't be my choice but if the price keeps dropping who knows.

Then again it's just gossip so...

20 minutes ago, sne said:

So according to Italian gossip Roma have almost halved their asking price for Tammy and are "only" asking for about £35m now. Still wouldn't be my choice but if the price keeps dropping who knows.

Then again it's just gossip so...

still wouldnt want him, he's basically the same as Watkins but with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, i dont think he's an upgrade on Watkins, they are just slightly different shades of the same colour imo.

Would rather us go for someone else tbh.

• Like 4

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

might be unrealistic but I hope Emi is trying to push for this guy as well -- the FM legend.

Been in a few Argentina squads already hasn't he?

Is he an inside forward like Alvarez or more of a wide player?

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Been in a few Argentina squads already hasn't he?

Is he an inside forward like Alvarez or more of a wide player?

yep he has -- was in the WC squad. And I believe he can play both through the middle and out wide. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

still wouldnt want him, he's basically the same as Watkins but with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, i dont think he's an upgrade on Watkins, they are just slightly different shades of the same colour imo.

Would rather us go for someone else tbh.

Imagine chasing a game and havibg tammy and waktins to deal with.

Thats a scary thought in my opinion. Tammys low on confidence i think under unai he could be absolutely incredible 

If we could get Tammy at a reasonable price, great. By reasonable, I mean around £25-30m but we really need to strengthen other positions first given we have Duran and Archer. If the plan is to send Duran and Archer out on loan next season again, fine, but still, I’d prefer to spend big on the support striker and a wide player. 

• Like 1