Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I think for me we’ll spend in the region of 150-180m, more if we sell Digne.

For that outlay I think we’ll go for the following (in order or priority)

£50m - RM - Otavio all day long or Guendouzi at a push.

£25-£35m - RB/CB - someone who can play both defensive fullback and CB - my suggestion would be Simikan at Leipzig or Geertruida at Feyenoord (he can also cover CDM)

£20-£30m - RW/SS - this will be someone like Nico Williams but I’d like us to take a punt on a cheaper alternative (and better one IMHO) Johan Bakayoko.

£25-£40m - LM/CAM - this might be the linked Pedro Goncalves. I’d quite like Xavi Simons but again, I might have my Fifa Wonderkid goggles on there.

£0-£55m - ST - I think this will be a free (Dembele) but would like it to be Jonathan David. Would also love it to be Gonçalo Ramos but that’s wishful thinking on my part.

I think those 5 are the priority but I think we could also do with…..

CM - we need comp/cover for Luiz - who? Have no idea. I’d like to see someone younger, perhaps Kokcu or Kephrem Thuram or Kone. Again Guendouzi might have already been earmarked for here though.

CBL - Comp/cover for Mings (Inacio at Sporting please)

LB - If we sell Digne I’d like us to go after Maatsen at Burnley (Chelsea) or Truffert at Rennes

Backup GK - have no idea on this one but would be happy with a loan but a better one than Olsen. Who’s that crazy looking keeper from Uruguay or something, played in the World Cup recently, that’d be a fun watch 🤪

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

sadly, you are right.

Kyle Walker-Peters?.....Aaron Wan Bissaka?

Wan Bissaka would be Emery's type as he had Foyth doing the defensive role at Villareal. Back in favour at Man. United but been there four years so guess they'll be open to offers.

I rate KWP, had a terrific game yesterday and can also cover LB so if we want a low cost Young replacement I think we could do worse given he's mid 20s and has been a regular in prem for 4 years now and also played for Spurs in CL.

8 hours ago, Nicho said:

Philogene-Bidace is an upgrade on Bailey and Traore on current showing. 

In the treatment room?

I think he's a decent prospect but bit worrying both his loans in the championship have been massively disrupted by injuries. Hopefully it's just growing pains.

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So if the rumours are true in his Infinite wisdom Slippy turned down the suggestion & chance to sign Palhinha for £17mi only then to panic last minute for a new DM leaving us with Dendonker @£13mill… Now being linked with £60mill+ move to sky 4 teams…  He well & truly set us back massively the charlatan. 

He'll never manage again.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

So if the rumours are true in his Infinite wisdom Slippy turned down the suggestion & chance to sign Palhinha for £17mi only then to panic last minute for a new DM leaving us with Dendonker @£13mill… Now being linked with £60mill+ move to sky 4 teams…  He well & truly set us back massively the charlatan. 

Insane if true.  Palhinha would have been a great addition for us (still would be). Knowing gerrard though if he did sign him he would have still stuck with his midfield 3 of kamara, ramsey and mcginn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Palhinha, Kamara & Luiz would be a top 4 midfield in the league

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thabucks said:

This came from football insider so definitely not true. He’s having a great season.

• Haha 1

Palhinha was a bargain, I thought so at the time, I was actually shocked he ended up at Fulham (Portuguese manager aside) as felt he would have had better options including us. He’s one of the main reasons they’ve done so well this season, huge loss for them if he goes in the summer but they’ll make a good profit.

Where is this being reported?

We didn't need Palhinha, we had signed Kamara and already had Luiz, that's two very good holding midfielders, we wouldn't have been able to keep both those two and Palhinha happy, no team in the league has three DMs that good, frankly we're lucky to have three as good as Luiz, Kamara, and Dendoncker.

Our fans probably would have moaned about Palhinha's performances anyway as a midfielder, because he doesnt' do the kind of things that look good in a youtube video, even as an opposition player probably won't be long before there's a backlash and people asking 'what does he do', it's always the same with midfielders of that type, even Declan Rice recently.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We didn't need Palhinha, we had signed Kamara and already had Luiz, that's two very good holding midfielders, we wouldn't have been able to keep both those two and Palhinha happy, no team in the league has three DMs that good, frankly we're lucky to have three as good as Luiz, Kamara, and Dendoncker.

Our fans probably would have moaned about Palhinha's performances anyway as a midfielder, because he doesnt' do the kind of things that look good in a youtube video, even as an opposition player probably won't be long before there's a backlash and people asking 'what does he do', it's always the same with midfielders of that type, even Declan Rice recently.

Luiz isn't a holding midfielder.

Yes he is, just a different type of holding midfielder to Kamara and Dendoncker, having Kamara alongside him allows him to go forward more than if he was the sole DM, but he's still an holding midfielder, that's the position he's played his whole career and where he's excelling now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Luiz isn't a holding midfielder.

He’s a deep lying midfield rather than a holding.  Haven’t seen enough of Palinha to know what he is. 

Either way I don’t think Chambers or Donk are good enough so we may need cover in this area but it’s not a priority in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

Yes he is, just a different type of holding midfielder to Kamara and Dendoncker, having Kamara alongside him allows him to go forward more than if he was the sole DM, but he's still an holding midfielder, that's the position he's played his whole career and where he's excelling now.

He is but not a defensive one. More a deep lying playmaker. Do you agree ?

For me there are three 'easy' upgrades to be made to the team. A right back more suitable to the system, a fourth midfielder of the quality of Luiz/ Kamara/ McGinn and a attacking partner for Ollie.

Get those three correct and we will undoubtedly improve as a team.

A deep lying playmaker is still an holding midfielder, all three of Luiz, Palhinha, and Kamara wouldn't work in Emery system, only need two holding midfielders. Point is we have two very good holding midfielders in Luiz and Kamara, and Dendcocker is a decent enough back up option, Iroegbunam can play as an holding midfielder as well or as an eight, so potentially another good option whenever he's ready.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

A deep lying playmaker is still an holding midfielder, all three of Luiz, Palhinha, and Kamara wouldn't work in Emery system, only need two holding midfielders. Point is we have two very good holding midfielders in Luiz and Kamara, and Dendcocker is a decent enough back up option, Iroegbunam can play as an holding midfielder as well or as an eight, so potentially another good option whenever he's ready.

I blame football Manager

We also have another very talented young DM who's getting rave reviews in Bogarde, if wasn't for the fact that he missed a year out with injury I'm pretty sure would be playing in the Championship now, will probably be playing there next season, if we sign Ibrahima Bamba as well, then going to have a lot of potentially in that position. It's probably more the McGinn and Jacob Ramsey midfield positons that need strengthening, as beyond those two not much in the way of options, even Iroegbunam came into the squad, would still be room for one more, talk about Aaron challenging his brother for a place in the team, but I think they have different qualities, Aaron would be more challenging the likes of Bundia, Bailey and Coutinho for a place in the team, might be another loan for him  we will see