Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I’ve started to adjust my new player hopes a little as I just don’t think we have space for the amount that I’d like.

What I mean by this is we’d struggle to get them all on the bench. This is even further impacted if Uni wants to keep the two keepers on the bench, leaving only 7 outfield slots. 

It comes down to who we’re replacing out of the first eleven.

I’d say Watkins, Kamara, Luiz, Moreno, Mings, Carlos, Martinez are the starters next season which suggests (depending on recruitment) that Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Dendonker are all potential benchwarmers, that’s even before we have the likes of Archer, A. Ramsey, IrnBru returning next season.

I therefore think we’ll only get in, an attacker that can cover both the LM/CAM hybrid role and also the RW role (it looks like this may be Pedro Goncalves). I think we’ll also see a RB/CB come in and a RM too, that’s it.

I’d like more but I just don’t see how we’re going to manage it without shipping out a load of players like Bailey, Digne, Cash, McGinn, etc  

Personally I’d like us to definitely ship Bailey out, replace him with  younger left footed RW and still go for Gonçalves for the LM/CAM slot

My shouts would therefore be….

RW: Kudus £40m, RM: Otavio £45m, LM/CAM: Goncalves £45m and RB/CB: Geertruida £25m

As a result of the dilemma above I think the three loaners I mentioned will be loaned out again, possibly with the exception of Archer, who I think might stay and Duran go out on loan instead. 

15 hours ago, burchy said:

I’ve started to adjust my new player hopes a little as I just don’t think we have space for the amount that I’d like.

What I mean by this is we’d struggle to get them all on the bench. This is even further impacted if Uni wants to keep the two keepers on the bench, leaving only 7 outfield slots. 

I’d say Watkins, Kamara, Luiz, Moreno, Mings, Carlos, Martinez are the starters next season which suggests (depending on recruitment) that Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Dendonker are all potential benchwarmers, that’s even before we have the likes of Archer, A. Ramsey, IrnBru returning next season.

I therefore think we’ll only get in, an attacker that can cover both the LM/CAM hybrid role and also the RW role (it looks like this may be Pedro Goncalves). I think we’ll also see a RB/CB come in and a RM too, that’s it.

I’d like more but I just don’t see how we’re going to manage it without shipping out a load of players like Bailey, Digne, Cash, McGinn, etc  

Personally I’d like us to definitely ship Bailey out, replace him with  younger left footed RW and still go for Gonçalves for the LM/CAM slot

RW: Kudus £40m, RM: Otavio £45m, LM/CAM: Goncalves £45m and RB/CB: Geertruida £25m

As a result of the dilemma above I think the three loaners I mentioned will be loaned out again, possibly with the exception of Archer, who I think might stay and Duran go out on loan instead. 

Not sure we'd need all 3 of Kudus, Otavio and Gonçalves.  Kudus and Gonçalves look like they play similar positions.

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not sure we'd need all 3 of Kudus, Otavio and Gonçalves.  Kudus and Gonçalves look like they play similar positions.

You’re probably right but I’d push Kudus higher just off Watkins and have Gonçalves deeper cutting into the No 10 area, especially as he’s played predominantly LW/CM in the league. 

Listened to the 1874 podcast today with Bardell & Greg Evans regards Emery .... Evans was saying that the summer could definitely be a big window with how ambitious the club want to be, but it would be convincing those ambitious targets to come.

• Like 1

Very flimsy links to Mohammed Salisu from a source not even worth mentioning.

Would be a good signing thou and Emery will know him from Spain. Guess it would be dependent on Southampton dropping.

14 hours ago, Frodo said:

Listened to the 1874 podcast today with Bardell & Greg Evans regards Emery .... Evans was saying that the summer could definitely be a big window with how ambitious the club want to be, but it would be convincing those ambitious targets to come.

Which means it'll be a quiet summer but our targets would need no convincing if we wanted them. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sne said:

Very flimsy links to Mohammed Salisu from a source not even worth mentioning.

Would be a good signing thou and Emery will know him from Spain. Guess it would be dependent on Southampton dropping.

I like him but he hasn't been starting much for Southampton strangely. Not sure if he's coming back from an injury but Bednarek has pretty much started every game since returning and Bella-Kotchap also in.

Three years of premier league football, not even 25 and Southampton would struggle to get more than 25m if relegated so could do worse.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Linked with Samuel Chukwueze for around £15m apparently.  Emery knows him well; would he be an upgrade on Bailey?

Good player and the £15m fee sounds cheap.  Nailed on to become the new scapegoat here if we sign him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/03/2023 at 15:42, nick76 said:

60kgs? Are footballers just getting smaller and smaller! Just a crazy weight in my mind for an adult male.

I thought the italian team was quite small last night, but ( compensating) very tenacious and competitive ( being kind)

The holy grail is a mix......Centre Backs and one midfielder and maybe one striker, need to have stature.

specific positions need height and other positions need guile and quick feet, which usually means smallish.....its when the imbalance is one way or the other, it becomes tricky.

I hope we mix it in the summer, with new recruits.

Edited by TRO

On 22/03/2023 at 22:48, burchy said:

The squad is small already, I am not concerning my self with exits, but I guess realistically books have to be balanced.

We are very much in transition, in terms of team building and we are not equipped to go far in cup competitions, that has to change.

The first 11 thinking is for yesteryear, we need to expand our view to squad, that means 25 players......The first 11 will comprise of those that are doing the best. The shirts will be competed for moving forward, right now, the team much selects itself...That means the odd sub standard performance stays in....we need 11 players "at it", for where we want to go...no passengers.

We also have to consider, the opposition, where from game to game their personnel will change and we have to be prepared ( pardon the pun) with ours.

I genuinely am not concerning myself, with who will get dropped, thats for the players themselves to ensure its not them......cream rises to the top, and that has to be the backdrop to our squad moving forward. There is no time for sentiment, competition can be cruel and unforgiving, the players who are first in and last out of BMH, will stand more chance of surviving.....Our manager wants success and he knows how to get it, casualties are inevitable, as sad as that is for some, but the strong survive.

I feel secure in my thinking our best players, have nothing to worry about, but between now and the summer, consistency, should be their aim.

For so long, the first 11 has pretty much picked itself, that has to change, and the competitive edge has to be the order of the day.

"its my shirt and I'm keeping it" has to be the players motto.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Frodo said:

That's the issue we have now. It's very difficult to get players who are improvement on what we've got

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CVByrne said:

That's the issue we have now. It's very difficult to get players who are improvement on what we've got

I think maybe we need to focus on the things that we have in our favour.

• Fan base
  • Resourceful Owners
  • An Elite Manager
  • Established Premier league, stability.
  • Players like Martinez, Watkins, Coutinho, Luiz, Kamara...who could easily be at more succesful clubs.
  • Our aspiration/ambition is clear to see, from the owners.
  • Our rise under our manager is exponential...Europe is coming.
  • The mood at the club is harmonious and welcoming.
  • There is already a significant latin influence from that region.

Aston Villa Is not such a hard sell anymore.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Some Turkish site is linking us to 22 y.o French RB Sacha Boey at Galatasaray. Turkish media sure loves having us in their transfer speculations.

Also been linked to attacker Joaquin Correa from Inter. Not watched him much apart from when he was at Sampdoria but he's never really scored or assisted much. 28 y.o now.

22 hours ago, Frodo said:

I suspect UE will be able to convince most players that he is building something here and if we pay them enough, most of them will come (like they did to Newcastle). There will always be players that will hold out for European qualified clubs, only want to play for a handful of clubs and want to be based in say London, but we won't be going for £80m + targets and I'm confident that most players who we can sign for around £50m,  could be persuaded to sign. 

Im Getting An "If You Build It They Will Come Message." | IGN Boards

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sne said:

Some Turkish site is linking us to 22 y.o French RB Sacha Boey at Galatasaray. Turkish media sure loves having us in their transfer speculations.

Also been linked to attacker Joaquin Correa from Inter. Not watched him much apart from when he was at Sampdoria but he's never really scored or assisted much. 28 y.o now.

We are great business for the Turkish league 

I really think Charles de Ketalaere could be a decent option to replace Bailey's current position. He hasn't settled at AC Milan currently so they might be happy to move him on for the right price. He is tall at 6'4 and deceptively quick and his technical skill and link up play would be a massive improvement on Bailey and would get so many more goals for Watkins and the midfield. He can also cover several positions and is only 22 with a really high ceiling of potential

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think maybe we need to focus on the things that we have in our favour.

• Fan base
  • Resourceful Owners
  • An Elite Manager
  • Established Premier league, stability.
  • Players like Martinez, Watkins, Coutinho, Luiz, Kamara...who could easily be at more succesful clubs.
  • Our aspiration/ambition is clear to see.
  • Our rise under our manager is exponential...Europe is coming.
  • The mood at the club is harmonious and welcoming.
  • There is already a significant latin influence from that region.

Aston Villa Is not such a hard sell anymore.

But, but…. Miguel Delaney said he’s not elite 😂