Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I thought Carlos preferred left side but if he can make it work with Mings and play on the right side we might go with that for next season, a young CB like Inacio we should certainly be keeping an eye on though given Mings and Carlos are both 30 now and Carlos has had a long lay off. Cash probably gets replaced in the starting 11 by a RB/CB hybrid but we probably do need another CB as Mings competition to be fair as Chambers and Hause aren’t good enough. Just depends how much business we can get done and our budget.

I really don’t know about Dembele, he could be a good impact sub for a couple of years, but I’m not convinced he will do much here or replace Ollie longer term. On a free he might be worth a punt but I wouldn’t be giving him a 5 year contract on £100K+ as we’ll struggle to sell if he disappoints. I’d rather just wait until we can buy a clear Watkins upgrade which probably won’t be for a season or 2. 

23 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

I thought some other club owner had come out and said it was basically a done deal to us? And that there'd been negotiations to then sign in Jan early but couldn't agree fee with club?

I hadn't heard that. 

I listed to a podcast earlier and they were talking about the next raft of very expensive Chelsea signings....

They speculated that Chelsea might raid the academy to sell players so they can beat FFP again as selling academy players is pure profit.

This got me thinking, which players might we want? Levi Colwill came to mind. He is widely regarded as the best from their academy much like Liveramento was (missed out on him!) 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I listed to a podcast earlier and they were talking about the next raft of very expensive Chelsea signings....

They speculated that Chelsea might raid the academy to sell players so they can beat FFP again as selling academy players is pure profit.

This got me thinking, which players might we want? Levi Colwill came to mind. He is widely regarded as the best from their academy much like Liveramento was (missed out on him!) 

They have decent prospects at GK and LB in Slonina and Hall, they’d be worth picking up although they would hamper the progress of the players we already have (Chrisene, Sinisalo, Marschall)

If we’re pushing through the Vitoria purchase as well I’d like us to try and prize Paris Brenner away from Dortmund.

Not going to happen I know but kid is a huge talent. 

On 14/03/2023 at 18:18, Leeroy said:

I thought Carlos preferred left side but if he can make it work with Mings and play on the right side we might go with that for next season, a young CB like Inacio we should certainly be keeping an eye on though given Mings and Carlos are both 30 now and Carlos has had a long lay off. Cash probably gets replaced in the starting 11 by a RB/CB hybrid but we probably do need another CB as Mings competition to be fair as Chambers and Hause aren’t good enough. Just depends how much business we can get done and our budget.

I really don’t know about Dembele, he could be a good impact sub for a couple of years, but I’m not convinced he will do much here or replace Ollie longer term. On a free he might be worth a punt but I wouldn’t be giving him a 5 year contract on £100K+ as we’ll struggle to sell if he disappoints. I’d rather just wait until we can buy a clear Watkins upgrade which probably won’t be for a season or 2. 

I thought he only played left side at Sevilla because Kounde played right?

Carlos is right footed so I would assume he'd play on the right with Mings on the left, but he could also play left with Konsa on the right.

On 14/03/2023 at 14:03, useless said:

I think we're considering Sinisalo as No.2 for next season and that's why he's being named on the bench alongside Olsen, so can come on if needed and the circumstances are right and get some experience, of course some scenerios might mean that it's better to with Olsen and not throw Sinisalo into the deep end, that's the only way I can explain having two keepers on the bench.

I think it was mentioned previously that Emery prefers having two goalkeepers on the bench for emergency reasons - first choice gets injured/sent off in opening 5 mins - would mean that if the backup does the same, you have an insurance policy on the bench

I’d like us to go after Inacio as comp for Mings but with both Mings and Carlos now on 100k I see them as first choice with Carlos moving over to the left-hand side should Mings get injured. 

I think we’ll look to bring in another left footed CB the summer after this one as we just don’t have the budget to do it this coming summer due to other positional priorities.

I think left back falls under this category too as Digne will be moved on eventually and a younger option to push Moreno will be brought in. 

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

This got me thinking, which players might we want?

Chukwuemeka.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seems link to Right Backs are heating up, I've seen two so far today.

Matty should be worried?

To be fair, I’m guessing none of the media know anything about this especially so far away from the start of the window opening.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, burchy said:

Who have you seen linked mate?

In honesty i've seen a couple links from Horace on Facebook ( Operates sort of as a Villa Report ) lol

I saw him repost that apparently Officials from Villa were watching Sacha Boey from Kasimpasa in Turkey.

As well as us, Leeds and Wolves being " interested " in Raphael Guerro from Dortmund, who's contract runs out this summer.

Know nothing of either.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Aren’t we supposed to be scouting Pedro Goncalves tonight? Not doing too badly.

Yes, scored a cracker from just inside arsenals half, would be a good signing 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterSw said:

I think it was mentioned previously that Emery prefers having two goalkeepers on the bench for emergency reasons - first choice gets injured/sent off in opening 5 mins - would mean that if the backup does the same, you have an insurance policy on the bench

That's a terrible idea. Maintain a contingency against something that happens in 1 game every 5 seasons, while removing a potentially game changing substitute. OK not for us as yet, cos our squad is thin, but in general.

Edited by HKP90

48 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

That's a terrible idea. Maintain a contingency against something that happens in 1 game every 5 seasons, while removing a potentially game changing substitute. OK not for us as yet, cos our squad is thin, but in general.

I don’t know how many times I have to mention this but it’s not unusual to have 2 keepers on the bench most La liga teams have 2 on the bench , Emery made 5 subs against West Ham Moyes waited until the 80th minute only to bring 2 subs on from what was a very strong bench.