Jhon Durán

PieFacE

16 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Somewhat strange January signing when we needed someone who could do a job right away.

But he was available and we could get a deal done, why wouldn’t we sign him in January rather than wait for summer where there may be more competition for him. 
Getting someone who was ready probably was needed, but may not have been available at a price we were willing to do business at.

On 01/05/2023 at 11:26, sharkyvilla said:

I'd like to see him get a bit more time, maybe even a start, just to mix things up a bit tactically because it seems teams are starting to learn how to set up against us a bit better.

Not a chance.

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

According to ash preece he said duran was a lange signing not emery. Very interesting if true

This is old news. We'd been scouting him for over a year before Emery came in. 

It's clearly someone the club wanted due to whatever moneyball type metric they were using. 

The fact he was signed after Emery was here just means Emery didn't veto the transfer. I can't imagine why he would though so it's not really that interesting despite whatever clickbait impression Preece is trying to generate. 

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

This is old news. We'd been scouting him for over a year before Emery came in. 

It's clearly someone the club wanted due to whatever moneyball type metric they were using. 

The fact he was signed after Emery was here just means Emery didn't veto the transfer. I can't imagine why he would though so it's not really that interesting despite whatever clickbait impression Preece is trying to generate. 

Ill take your word for it as i had no idea we knew about him before emery came here as i never heard of him before. 

Its not really 'clickbait' its preeces Q and A session and he just answered the questioned posed at him so not sure why your criticising him?

• Like 1

No criticism of him but this just remains a bit of a random signing for me. For quite a significant outlay I’m not sure where he fits in and it isn’t obviously to me (yet) why he commanded such a high fee. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

No criticism of him but this just remains a bit of a random signing for me. For quite a significant outlay I’m not sure where he fits in and it isn’t obviously to me (yet) why he commanded such a high fee. 

The fee wasn't that high tbf. Anyway, we went for a 19-year-old striker who has already broken into the Colombian national side as a player to develop for the future - it's not really a particularly perplexing transfer and I don't know what you were expecting to see so soon. 

12 minutes ago, Spoony said:

When Brighton signed Caicedo, Kaoru Mitoma and Alexis Mac Allister they must of been random to you too🤷‍♂️

On 02/05/2023 at 13:08, Demitri_C said:

According to ash preece he said duran was a lange signing not emery. Very interesting if true

Really doesn’t work that way you know, it’s not “you sign this guy and I sign the other” it’s a thought out process yes Lange and the scouts at Villa may present targets , some agents may offer players to the club, Unai wil also have knowledge of players but the end process is a case of people coming together and deciding collectively. We as fans really need to cut this Lange signing Managers signing crap out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Because he has raw attributes strength power, pace and finishing ability you develop those attributes over time and help him fulfil his potential. It doesn’t happen overnight though.

16 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Really doesn’t work that way you know, it’s not “you sign this guy and I sign the other” it’s a thought out process yes Lange and the scouts at Villa may present targets , some agents may offer players to the club, Unai wil also have knowledge of players but the end process is a case of people coming together and deciding collectively. We as fans really need to cut this Lange signing Managers signing crap out.

It's true in this case though. The club had been working on this deal for months, before Emery even arrived. All it is really is a very expensive youth prospect deal. He'll almost certainly be out on loan next season.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Read the 1st three words of the post 😃

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

The fee wasn't that high tbf. Anyway, we went for a 19-year-old striker who has already broken into the Colombian national side as a player to develop for the future - it's not really a particularly perplexing transfer and I don't know what you were expecting to see so soon. 

8 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

When Brighton signed Caicedo, Kaoru Mitoma and Alexis Mac Allister they must of been random to you too🤷‍♂️

These are both absolutely fair enough. Based on nothing but a feeling I just get a sense of the ‘Danny Ings’ about this, I.e. it just doesn’t feel like the it works. It was a shot out of the dark at a time when we were changing managers and I don’t get the sense he’s an Emery type player. 

Absolutely this is irrational but it’s just a feeling. What was this signing really about/who was it for?

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

These are both absolutely fair enough. Based on nothing but a feeling I just get a sense of the ‘Danny Ings’ about this, I.e. it just doesn’t feel like the it works. It was a shot out of the dark at a time when we were changing managers and I don’t get the sense he’s an Emery type player. 

Absolutely this is irrational but it’s just a feeling. What was this signing really about/who was it for?

It was about signing a young striker with potential. 

It was for Aston Villa.

You nailed it with "this is irrational".

• Like 3

Duran is a full 2 years younger than Archer. He is 6 months younger than Louie Barry. 

This deal is all about his potential and everything so far suggests that he is being managed perfectly and not being exposed to too much pressure too soon. 

I’m delighted Villa did this deal as the boy’s potential is frightening and I hope this is the sign of things to come. 

Â