Jhon Durán

PieFacE

12 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Realistically I think we'll send Duran on loan, keep Archer around maybe if we can't get a decent fee (if not will sell) and then get someone like Iheanacho on a free

I don’t think we will send Duran on loan.

The guy has scored 6 goals in 990 minutes of football this season. Every time he comes on I expect something to happen, he's got a real eye for goal and he's got that unwavering confidence you need in a striker, that Watkins didn't have until this season. He blazes a shot over the bar and 30 seconds later he wants to have another go from a worse angle, still believing he'll get the goal. 

People develop at different rates obviously but I think people just forget how young he is because he didn't come through the academy, had a big price tag and he's had so much game time. He's 6 months younger than Louie Barry who's had a good spell for his 4th loan, but still in the 4th tier. Duran also younger than O'Reilly not getting a look in at a third tier Spanish team or Teddy Rowe looking okay for a 6th tier Gloucester. Afoka who couldn't get going at Bradford or Bogarde at Bristol Rovers. 

What I mean is that it is very rare for players to have that level of ability to look at home in games at his age. Emery has a history of bringing through youngsters and gave debuts and game time to the likes of Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah and Smith Rowe last time he was in England. If he likes Duran and keeps playing him whilst avoiding the likes of Iroegbunam, I think his mind is made up and I trust his judgement. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Seriously he'd probably play more at Chelsea.

I'd not sell him. There's a 60m player I  there. If we could get a stop gap striker and loan him perfect. A Timo Werner type.

A Timo.Werner type.

Have 5 people tell me Werner is crap.

Did I say sign Werner? No. No I did not.

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

From a footballing point of view absolutely not, Archer isn't going to make it here.

From an FFP perspective? I'm not sure - if we can get a decent fee for Archer that might be almost as effective.

I don't see the sudden desire to cash in on Duran, it's worth remembering just how young he is - we brought on a group of young substitutes at the end of the Olympiacos game, half of them are older than Duran - he's younger than Iroegbunam and younger than Kesler-Hayden but he seems to be judged by a very different standard.

100% agree with everything in this post.  Duran's ceiling is much, much higher than Archer's.  I think it is easy to forget how young he is because of his size.  I think he's looked a lot more settled in recent appearances and so I really hope that these rumours of him being difficult, etc are just the exuberance of youth and that they've been resolved.  I think Duran and Rogers offer us medium / long term options to ultimately replace Ollie with the right coaching, development and advice.

• Like 1

I think he's going to be a big talent, but I don't think it will be for us. It hasn't seemed to click with Unai, he doesn't perhaps show the discipline Unai would like. If offers come in the summer, I'd be surprised if we didn't take them. 

Duran needs a run of games or at least to start a few and I was surprised that he wasn't used more in the cup competitions. He is impatient for games and emery doesn't want to use him enough. That's what makes me think that we will probably end up asking for a move elsewhere.

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

He is not worth £30mil.

That's what you think, you may not see his potential but those within the game (and many fans) will see it clearly.

• Like 1

For the record I think Duran has huge potential and shouldn't be sold but he's far more likely to realise that potential with regular starts. That is unlikely to be with us next year with Olli as first choice hence suggesting a loan. It'll also help him get better with his finishing which can be quite erratic as he's so keen to shine in his cameos.

If he does go out, we'll need somebody off the bench or maybe use Rogers as others have suggested. Personally I'd prefer a player more familiar with leading the line.

• Like 2

Â