Jhon Durán

PieFacE

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

There's surprisingly little hype about him outside Villa circles. If he played for United or Liverpool you can guarantee he'd be being massively hyped up.

If he was doing exactly what he's doing for us for United or Liverpool, Transfermarkt would value him at €80mil.

Absolutely brilliant bit of scouting to uncover him, could be anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Hopefully Lee Hendrie will finally fulfil that potential…..

Duran is going to be a top striker.

lets see some more evidence before going that far.

He has looked better this year than last, he also seems to have some rare qualities.

There may well be some serious interest in this guy in the summer. If you were a newly promoted side looking for a starting 9, or a more established side looking for a rotation 9 who can become the main man in a couple of years, then Duran would be of interest. Let’s hope that we can keep him happy here because I would hate to see him leave.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Probably more shocked by Global watching a game of Football actually involving Man. City than him criticising Duran for the 20th time this season!😂😉

He did fine and it was a brilliant finish considering the angle he was at. Also right at the start of the game he went a touch too early with his run but it was a very good connection with volley that Ortega did well to tip around the post.

I would say his technique actually around the goal is pretty good, he just needs to join the dots now with timing of runs and sometimes link up play. Crux of that is he needs more starts to achieve this so you'd like to think he should now be in contention to start 5-10 prem games next season and there wouldn't be a mass panic if Ollie is rested for a few prem matches.

I didn't watch the game. I followed the thread. You couldn't pay me to watch them. But Ive watched Duran since he signed and I am not convinced. 

I hope he does well, but right now we are so reliant on Ollie for not just goals, but his overall game, that its a big achilles heel in the team.

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

Anyway, good on Jhon. That’s six goals this season from him. Compare him to say Jordan Ayew, who’s had a long and lucrative career at the top of the football pyramid (10 years in the Premier League, 100 international caps), and it’s clear Jhon can do even better than that. Great work by the scouts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Enda said:

“Oppenheimer is a shite movie, I didn’t even watch it.”

Who said anything about something they didn't watch being shite?

Ive watched all of Durans minutes except for last night and accepted he was decent in that game according to those who watched it.

You should read things properly before making such comments.

Edited by GlobalVillan

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I didn't watch the game. I followed the thread. You couldn't pay me to watch them. But Ive watched Duran since he signed and I am not convinced. 

I hope he does well, but right now we are so reliant on Ollie for not just goals, but his overall game, that its a big achilles heel in the team.

So you didn't watch the game, you still criticise Duran last night but that is based on what he was doing months back rather than the excellent link up finish and goal he produced last night?!

It's a bit like slagging McGinn off for how he was performing for all of 2022 still rather than the mostly excellent games he's had under Unai.

Result would've been little different last night if Ollie was up there imo.

Instinctive finisher, thunderbolt shot power, swagger, character, strength, very young. Raw.

What's not to like? If he had a more unreliable, less fit senior player in front of him he might be in double figures by now.

My daughter's Villa Teddy is called Duran after his goal against Palace.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

There may well be some serious interest in this guy in the summer. If you were a newly promoted side looking for a starting 9, or a more established side looking for a rotation 9 who can become the main man in a couple of years, then Duran would be of interest. Let’s hope that we can keep him happy here because I would hate to see him leave.

Like… us?

• Like 2

I thought he did very well last night. Great finish for the goal. Honestly think of Ollie had have played we would hsve still lost heavily 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

So you didn't watch the game, you still criticise Duran last night but that is based on what he was doing months back rather than the excellent link up finish and goal he produced last night?!

It's a bit like slagging McGinn off for how he was performing for all of 2022 still rather than the mostly excellent games he's had under Unai.

Result would've been little different last night if Ollie was up there imo.

I didn't criticise last night's performance. Why is that so hard to understand?

I am basing my opinion of the time he has been here but acknowledged he had a good game yesterday. 

I don't rate Sterling for example, but didn't see his last game. If he played well, great!

I still have ny doubts.

Its not rocket science 

Edited by GlobalVillan

16 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I didn't criticise last night's performance. Why is that so hard to understand?

I am basing my opinion of the time he has been here but acknowledged he had a good game yesterday. 

I don't rate Sterling for example, but didn't see his last game. If he played well, great!

I still have ny doubts.

Its not rocket science 

So he's improving then...or he isn't?

Just me but I'd say playing a part in the build up and then finishing off very well against one of the best teams in football hints Duran is improving now compared to some of the poor cameos he had before.

He was poor v Sheffield United. I criticised him for that as he came on when we needed something different, constantly lost the ball and then at the end was seemingly more interested with scrapping with their CB and would've been sent off on another night. West Ham I thought there was more mitigation as we played with two out and out CFs and that threw the whole team a fair bit.

Beyond that's he's regularly scored in his other cameos.

Overall he's scored 6 in 27 games which isn't too badly and largely what Diaby has contributed from significantly more minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chappy said:

Like… us?

Exactly like us. Being similar to us does not prevent interest. Who knows then what might float his boat. A big salary increase? Promises over playing time? A nice kit? Who knows?

Â