Jhon Durán

PieFacE

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He started against Palace. I know the whole team were awful but that was meant to be his chance to impress.  He didn't.

All his best moments have been in dying parts of matches when his energy and enthusiasm has got something over the line. 

I've yet to be impressed when he's played for extensive periods of time in games. 

A super sub is a handy quality to have around the squad, but sure we could find that from elsewhere.  He doesn't  seem ready to start too many games as you say, happy enough to sell if someone wants to help us make a profit on him

Anyone know how it would work for FFP if we say sold Duran for 80m and bought Gallagher for 90m compared to selling Duran for 20m and buying Gallagher for 30m?

Just wondering if we are trying to do something with Chelsea to benefit both of us. I feel like it would be the same otherwise others would have used the loophole if it was one.

24 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I’ve a soft spot for Duran, but he hasn’t showed that he can play in a system. Unai’s comments about him are usually about his ability to play within the team’s structure.

Him being a maverick is sometimes useful. The unpredictability that makes him difficult to manage, is doubly dangerous for the opposition: if his teammates don’t know what he’s doing then the opposition won’t. However, most of the time, it was the system and not individual brilliance that worked so well for us last season. And while Jhon has improved in his tracking back and fitting into the shape of the team, he hasn’t showed the discipline to lead the line.

He has such natural ability and I hope he can develop into that sort of player that will work in our very structured approach. Unfortunately, I think his unpredictability will be his downfall at Villa and lead to him leaving. 

Funnily enough, I think Archer will have a similar problem.  Too much of a poacher, not enough of a thinker. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Both Watkins and Duran fit the profile for a lone or main CF, physicality as well as skill.

Archer is a different type… maybe a bit too much on the smaller or less imposing side/kind. Can’t really see him having much of a future or breaking into our team…  we’ve progressed past such a player. Dunno if we’d get decent offers now though.

CAN see why clubs would be interested in Duran, and of a higher level than those that would be interested in Cam.

Edited by Jas10

Duran is great as an impact sub, not as a starter. He plays better when we are looking for a goal, not when we are trying to be balanced and the game is going back on forth. If he an stay around the penalty area and create havoc then all is good. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

Duran is great as an impact sub, not as a starter. He plays better when we are looking for a goal, not when we are trying to be balanced and the game is going back on forth. If he an stay around the penalty area and create havoc then all is good. 

but that's the learning process....he has to add things to his game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Do they have any decent , available/affordable DMs? How’s Lavia? Returning from injury soon?

Not sure if they are available but Ugochukwu and Casadei seem to have decent potential. I think Lavia will be back during the preseason I’m not sure where he’ll fit in with that squad. I’d imagine they are still high on him as he’s only 20

57 minutes ago, jacksonho said:

Anyone know how it would work for FFP if we say sold Duran for 80m and bought Gallagher for 90m compared to selling Duran for 20m and buying Gallagher for 30m?

Just wondering if we are trying to do something with Chelsea to benefit both of us. I feel like it would be the same otherwise others would have used the loophole if it was one.

I don't think you can inflate the valuation of players to suspicious levels: Juventus tried this move a couple of years back and got a 15 points deduction (reduced to 10 on appeal) and a European ban.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't think you can inflate the valuation of players to suspicious levels: Juventus tried this move a couple of years back and got a 15 points deduction (reduced to 10 on appeal) and a European ban.

Some of their directors even went to prison over it as well.

Though I think that’s more because they are a publicly listed company so have more obligations around financial reporting. 

• Like 1

"He is a player who has a contract with Aston Villa, he ended up doing very well and the coach is counting on him," Herrera told El VBar Caracol.

"It is a club that, having got into the Champions League is a great opportunity, but we know he wants to play, he wants to go out and play, we are going to see. Now the market is opening up, the club is looking at some options and so are we.

"The interest has always been there. The fact that Pochettino continues or leaves the club [shouldn't affect], the one who want him in the end is the club.

"He is a player that if they change coach or not, we will see what happens, but there has always been interest. Let's see how we can handle it and make sure Aston Villa are ready."

Full quote from Duran's agent. Obviously pushing for a move or new deal. Only way these snakes make big money.

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Not sure if they are available but Ugochukwu and Casadei seem to have decent potential. I think Lavia will be back during the preseason I’m not sure where he’ll fit in with that squad. I’d imagine they are still high on him as he’s only 20

Lavia will replace Gallagher basically from what I saw of him at Southampton.

Posted (edited)

What's  his rush? He could learn under Emery for 2-3 seasons, play in CL, and then get his big move to whatever European club he thinks is more famous back in Colombia. 

Edited by maqroll

This looks like Carney V2.0. If Durán wants to go and we can get the fee we want for him, we should cash in. We don’t need disruptive over inflated egos in the squad. 

11 hours ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Full quote from Duran's agent. Obviously pushing for a move or new deal. Only way these snakes make big money.

Absolutely, but then again, what exactly do we expect an agent to say? He's he hardly going to say "Jhon is happy with his contact and sitting on the bench" agents make money from moves and new contracts, and so they'll always be pushing for one or the other.

I like Duran, I don't think we should get rid just because he can be a bit difficult, but then every player has a price, I don't think we're actively looking to sell, but I imagine in our situation we are open to offers on most players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be very surprised if he's here next season. 

Shame as I think he's got massive potential

Same

His agent being a snake - duran hasnt proven he deserves a new contract or more starts yet. He is only young. Focus on becoming a better player before you just waving demands around.

I think he will go chelsea personally as they are gonna make a stupid offer that will help us with FFP. Of that happens we may not need to sell JJ

I want players at Villa who want to be here. He clearly doesn't want to be here, and that's fine as long as Aston Villa make a decent profit on him then I'm comfortable with him gone. If it is a choice between Duran and JJ I take JJ all days of the week. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Same

His agent being a snake - duran hasnt proven he deserves a new contract or more starts yet. He is only young. Focus on becoming a better player before you just waving demands around.

I think he will go chelsea personally as they are gonna make a stupid offer that will help us with FFP. Of that happens we may not need to sell JJ

He's welcome to Chelsea if that's his idea of heaven 🤣

Â