Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

I think it was, as others have said, a stupid decision to offer it out to fan consultation in the first place. It's a bit of a mess all round but I think as long as we get this sorted this season, it will quickly be forgotten about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

The kits are manufactured months in advance, but this decision must have been made quite recently. Hence this weird situation.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I suspect contracts had been signed already with the new badge to the shirt under Purslow, and a large penalty fee may have been due or even no new shit. That must be the only reason why this has had the softest of soft launches. 

Yeah I was thinking along these lines. The shambles makes sense I guess in this instance. 

6 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

I think it was, as others have said, a stupid decision to offer it out to fan consultation in the first place. It's a bit of a mess all round but I think as long as we get this sorted this season, it will quickly be forgotten about.

Not really, if NWSE just said here is the new crest folks , there would have been a uproar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Said this all along. The way the process was done was poor.

Unfortunately they have to consult fans now under new rules, so it'll go back again to some other empty poll about what people like or don't like and we'll go around the houses on this.

People all along have forgotten a key fact about the current/last ('Lerner') badge: we were consulted on that too. That's how we ended up with a star and AVFC and a yellow lion against a blue background.

So it's always a case of be careful what questions you ask people. 

They'd be better off sticking with this badge, as much as I don't think it's great, and just deconstructing it in different ways on each kit every year. Go with the lion and the words Aston Villa next year. It'll be boring, inoffensive, but will ultimately save us all having to have the same nauseating conversation/debate all over again.

• Like 1

I like the elements of the badge, it's pretty much what I voted for, but it doesn't look or feel right... I wouldn't write it off, it's just that it could have gone back to the drawing board.

This is why they probably shouldn't have asked fans what they wanted. Just pay someone a shed load of money and design summat. They've done both and it's still wrong. I quite like the new one, was looking forward to getting rid of she shite one we've had for a while

Its just very frustrating and feels very amateurish.  Today is supposed to be a day of celebration etc etc.  Club shop opening with new merch, kit release, new badge on the kit etc etc.  What do we have instead??  This enormous distraction taking away from the positive day regarding the apparent badge decision to be only on kits and training gear.  Leave it to Villa to fumble a day that every other club seems to handle with ease.  Its like keystone cops- I can only sit back and laugh- at the absolute absurdity of it all.

Just last week reports were out that AVFC specifically REQUESTED that we have our first match away due to the rebranding of Villa Park.  We even scheduled our final preseason friendly in Spain instead of Villa Park, further emphasizing this point.  Giving the club maximum time to put in a new pitch (if needed), new branding around the park, finishing up the Holte Terrace, etc etc.

I know many people will brush this off like its not a big deal- but in the marketing world, sponsorship world, etc.  This is a big deal.  It honestly makes the new guy Heck look like a bozo.  Villa is better off spending the money to rebrand everything properly now- then going thru the process of changing it in the near future if that is what they truly decide.  Leaving things half done is a very poor look commercially for the club- especially when we are going into Europe next season and have the potential to expand our reach for the first time in over a decade with TV viewership.  I'm absolutely baffled.

• Like 4

I was going to do a "new kit bingo card" to post this morning but never got around to making it.  It would have had the usual gubbins on it, stuff like "love the new badge"  "hate the new badge"  "prefer this kit that someone on Twitter made on their iPhone" and so on.  Never in a month of Sundays would I have guessed what the club have actually done today. 

• Like 4

I bet Purslow is raging. Badge rebrand was a major project for him that’s been massively undermined, presumably by Heck. Very strange all round. My guess is this will be the start of another rebrand process that will ultimately end with a stand-alone Lion. Not sure if facing left or right though!!

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

They know this was the one that should have won.

Exactly. Problem was they had to ask the fans. What they should have done was make it a choice between a slightly modified lerner badge and the gaslamp one, the gaslamp one would have won by a landslide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Exactly. Problem was they had to ask the fans. What they should have done was make it a choice between a slightly modified lerner badge and the gaslamp one, the gaslamp one would have won by a landslide.

But the gas lamp one was worse than the round one imo 

4 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

The club statement also makes vague references to consulting about our identity in connection with 150 year anniversary. 

But again, that will be to late to have it in place for our 150th year. It needs to be designed and agreed now, to be ready for next season. 

Badge looks lovely on the shirt.

Not updating the digital platform is just amateur, and I'm convinced it was not planned that way.

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The standalone lion was an alley-oop we completely fumbled in favour of nostalgia bait. Hoping that's what Heck has realized.

He won't know about tye6 history. He's never heard of us until getting the job in all likelihood!

Wonder if Heck has seen one of Dragon Rouges other designs they did for us in the concept phase, and decided that would be miles better.

I expect we'll end up with something far more spurs like, with just a lion and our name.

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Is it just me or does the lion need to be yellow on the new badge and then all problems are solved. 

Nnnnooooooo!!! That reintroduces the absolute most significant problem with the old badge, which is that the lion is just a splodge of impossible-to-see light colour on an equally light background.

To have a yellow lion you'd have to put it on a claret background and then you basically end up with a complete redesign.

• Like 2

Â