Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

Look this seems bad but ultimately a great club wakes up and pisses excellence at every facet of being a football club, from the first team to the tea lady. If the club feels like this is a missed opportunity, be ruthless, rip the band-aid off and do it properly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If do another consultation with the fans, you would get the same result of going back to the retro round badge. So unless they ignore that and design something completely different it is gong to be a waste of time.

We got this badge because people really wanted the retro round one. 

Having the fans essentially setting the design brief is how we got to this badge. All the winning options were to have it round, lion, star, Aston Villa. essentially the old round one. But we ain’t going  there again and we got a new one.  A new one that follows the same design elements as most round badged clubs in the country. 

it’s clean it’s nice, it’s generic 

As part of the “brand identity” (what’s more than a logo) we are the “purple lion, like the bee one” according to 7 year old CarryOnNephew. Imagine new markets like America… they would be clueless to which one we are on a graphic of prem club badges 

32 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Look at the new badge compared with the rest of the Prem.  It doesn't pop like the other recent redesigns (Brentford, Man City, Spurs, etc.) and of all the circle badges, we're the most muted.  Not really something that can be iconic to a global brand.  It makes sense to see us do everything over again, as painful as it'll be.  

Doesn’t help you’ve put it up against a claret background.

Should’ve ditched the rampart lion and gone more modern. Never a fan of the nostalgia driven round badge either. A simple lion’s head on similar to one of these for example - 

IMG_7521.png

IMG_7520.jpeg

IMG_7519.png

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7517.jpeg

Sure dragon rouge could’ve come up with a great design far better than the above without fan consultations. Those were from a very quick google image search and not advocating any one of them particularly btw ! Just think the rampart lion has had its day IMO and needs a rethink 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Should’ve ditched the rampart lion and gone more modern. Never a fan of the nostalgia driven round badge either. A simple lion’s head on similar to one of these for example - 

IMG_7521.png

IMG_7520.jpeg

IMG_7519.png

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7517.jpeg

1 and 4 are decent. Others terrible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As noted in other threads, the Americans are quite good on their Sports Branding.

Undoubtedly whichever direction we go in will probably be " modern " and alot of fans won't like it but I'm all for it.

You're saying that they'll probably produce something better than the elite-level rebranding that was "we made the lion look the other way and that symbolises being modern and forward"? Impossible.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Look this seems bad but ultimately a great club wakes up and pisses excellence at every facet of being a football club, from the first team to the tea lady. If the club feels like this is a missed opportunity, be ruthless, rip the band-aid off and do it properly.

I agree, at least until we see the final offering.

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

IMG_7521.png

It's infuriating because the designers behind Lille's rebrand were also Dragon Rogue. 

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

I do think we deserve the full truth here, and not wishy washy corporate platitudes. 

It's a very clumsy look from the club, but I'll support it if they can honestly justify it.

Edit: Not you, @wishywashy :lol:

Edited by maqroll

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I agree it's doesn't pop on that purple background, it would if it was white.

But that's been my issue with the crest really*, I think it'll look great on a white away shirt, but it looks dull on a claret shirt.

*that and the lion facing the wrong way

Yeah the old badge (if we’re calling it that now) actually worked well on the claret shirt as the sky blue badge contrasted nicely. But in isolation was a poor badge as there was nothing “villa” about it, not the right colours, not even our name was on it properly. 

I agree with some of the comments that going back to the 80’s style round badge was the easiest and safest option, but not necessarily the best option. We’re left with an OK badge, which by definition is OK for most fans, nothing to complain about but it’s not amazing either although not sure what an “amazing” badge could have possibly looked like. Seems like the club are having cold feet on the change, a bit of a shambles really. 

• Like 1

I hope they are dissatisfied with the same aspects of it that I am...it's just...FLAT. And too cookie-cutter. Lion, if featured, should be gold.

I'm fine with this, despite the blushes.

It adds intrigue, and turns the new shirt into an instant collector's item.

Would it not have made more sense to just completely scrap the new, stick with what we have and then get something in place for next summer to fully rebrand? The one badge on kits and another on everything else is just really bad. 

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

I blame Tyrone Mings

Yeah him and Coutinho. 😀

I always preferred the gas light one anyway and voted for it. 

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Would it not have made more sense to just completely scrap the new, stick with what we have and then get something in place for next summer to fully rebrand? The one badge on kits and another on everything else is just really bad. 

The kits are manufactured months in advance, but this decision must have been made quite recently. Hence this weird situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I suspect contracts had been signed already with the new badge to the shirt under Purslow, and a large penalty fee may have been due or even no new shit. That must be the only reason why this has had the softest of soft launches. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

A f**king shitshow. They have spent a year consulting us and the badge was chosen. Some of us may have been underwhelmed, but that was the decision and the time to roll out—totally confusing messages having a new badge on the shirt and no online branding.  I thought we had gone past this sort of amateur hours antics.   What the hell is going on.

This summer was the ideal situation for us to launch our new crest, being in Europe, the Emery honeymoon. The chance is there to push our name and what we are about, and yet again we mess it up. Same as it ever was.

I agree with this and don’t think it’s an over-reaction. I don’t like the badge personally but yes decision was made. You don’t just half arse it at a time when everything is looking positive and moving forward. Has left a really bad taste. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rbcuk said:

The badge is the best part of it and they are keeping the old badge on the stadium and digital platforms, makes no sense whatsoever doing this, either change the lot or not at all

I guess they have backtracked but it was too late to change the kits, as they were already in production. It might not be a good look this season, but if it means not wasting millions having to change ALL the branding twice then it might be the best of a bad situation. 

Â