Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Was hoping we’d left all this behind in the Lerner era. 

Even he could get a rebrand right, even if the badge was shit.

Two badges at the same time, I've never seen such **** incompetence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Even he could get a rebrand right, even if the badge was shit.

Two badges at the same time, I've never seen such **** incompetence.

The more I think about it the more breathtakingly insane it is. Two badges. Jesus Christ. How can a kit launch end in such drama lol. Only at Villa. 

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Of course it doesn’t pop. The background is the same colour as our badge.

Not only that but there's opacity to the claret in teams logos that means the FA logo is incorperated into them

You can do the 2 badge thing, Liverpool do it with their more elaborate crest and the simplified liver bird on the shirts. But that's clearly not what we're doing, we don't have a formal crest and simplified marketing image. We've got an old bad badge and a new tired one.

We'd be better off just being straight up, ditching the old one (let's face it we aren't going to end up using it going forwards when we bin the new one), go with the new one this season, have a very limited merchandising campaign with it, use up the consumables with the old badge and if we run out go generic for things like napkins etc, and commit wholeheartedly to whatever replaces the new badge.

Seriously wondering how the internal attitude towards this rebrand has been so strong against it. You have to imagine that it wasn't just Heck who held this attitude? The U-turn is just so, so aggressive: outright refusing to put the new crest and brand imagery on digital media, ultimately willing to put up with extremely disjointed branding for a year? It's utterly bonkers (coming from someone who really didn't like the new badge). Commercial team has been utterly humiliated here.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1

I definitely reckon this has been brewing for at least a few months, as opposed to a sudden Heck decision. Dragon Rogue were claiming that the full "identity" work that they had done, including the crest, etc. would be unveiled in May. Here's an extract from an article in March with someone clearly talking to whoever was in charge of the Villa rebrand from Dragon Rogue:

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/6-march-10-march-2023/aston-villa-fc-rebrands-dragon-rouge/

While the crest has already been revealed to fans, these new assets show how it might be applied. Now Dragon Rouge is working on a full identity, which will be revealed in May.

Aston Villa FC’s wider brand expression focusses on bringing assets “fully to life” and will include new colours, bespoke fonts, illustrations and motion graphics, says King. “There is a concept that is driving it all but you’ll have to wait to see”, she adds.

The big reveal is planned for the club’s last game of the season when it will start to roll out across all channels.

You'd think Dragon Rogue would know what was happening with their own brand release, so it's safe to assume that this was definitely the plan in March. And yet none of this has come to pass and they've completely abandoned the digital identity redesign. Just so perculiar. I wonder if we'll ever get clarification on what happened between March and May, because it was clearly extremely significant.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Examples of the rebrand of the 76ers crest overseen by Chris Heck in 2015 for a sign of things to come. Hope you like stars on the badge :trollface:

Yeah, This time next year we could be the 74ers. (go 74ers!!)

• Haha 2

It’s a bit of a shambles but that round badge leaves me underwhelmed every time I look at it especially when in a line up with all the other PL badges. It’s made me prefer the current one so I’m glad the club has decided to halt it. 

We’ve brought Heck in for his expertise, maybe we just have to trust him, that a full rebrand with the round badge wasn’t a good move.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I agree with whoever made the decision that it isn't a great badge...but you can't do this after its been chosen, especially when it was chosen months and months ago

If an expert comes in and says this is a mistake, you’d be foolish not to listen to him. They’re putting the brakes on before it goes too far.

I agree, it’s too late to pull the plug on the rebrand, if it had happened this time last year then yeah ok; change you mind, re do things, re-evaluate and then go with a new decision. But as things stand this is such a bizarre decision… if they don’t like this rebrand then do it again in 5 years, but this has all gone too far.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

If an expert comes in and says this is a mistake, you’d be foolish not to listen to him. They’re putting the brakes on before it goes too far.

But there’s big short term costs to doing so- we look like a **** joke with a confused marketing strategy. The new way forward will have to be stronger to compensate for that 

46 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

But you'd offer an explanation, a plan, and start implementing it. 

No issue with scrapping the chosen design if a better alternative is viable. 

But 2 badges and unclear communication, lions facing the wrong way on the shirt, it's not a good look. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree, it’s too late to pull the plug on the rebrand, if it had happened this time last year then yeah ok; change you mind, re do things, re-evaluate and then go with a new decision. But as things stand this is such a bizarre decision… if they don’t like this rebrand then do it again in 5 years, but this has all gone too far.

Well I don’t quite agree. I don’t think it’s too late but the way they have gone about it is a mess. I’d rather they just say yeah soz it doesn’t work - it’s too late to pull it from the kits but we are having another go. It’s the vagueness around it all that’s annoying me. But I suppose they can’t publicly fully torpedo the badge as they won’t sell any kits?

• Like 1

Also I know it “doesn’t matter” (except I disagree, I think it does), I don’t know a single neutral who thinks our new badge is better than our current badge. Given how generic and lost it looks I actually tend to agree. I’m leaning towards the old badge but all I really want is an awesome lion and “Aston Villa” and that’s it. Make our lion awesome and distinctive enough that we just are the team with the lion and all other lions in football are just cheap imitations. 

• Like 2

I bet Villa reeeaalllyyy wish they hadn’t flipped the lion around now killing any semblance of consistency between the old and new badge. The funny thing is if villa had done a limited edition round badge for the 1982 anniversary using the same lion on both it would have been well received and brilliant marketing move. I think for the next iteration villa need to make the lion (and star) the main consistent feature and the crest around the lion can change depending on use case and it will still be recognisable as villa no matter how it is used.

Â