Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, TH said:

Interested to see where they go with this given the announcement last week.

A brand is more than a crest/logo - I imagine seeing the applications of the new crest within the wider context (ie not on the shirt) either lacked execution, or differed from the global Villa vision that Heck will be looking at.

The Juventus rebrand from a few years ago is a good example of really reimagining a football brand across various mediums (link).

I wouldn’t be surprised (and would kind of like it) if we did something really different from the norm, move away from the crest into something completely new. It would annoy a lot of fans of course but could really set us apart from all the other clubs and badges in the league.

Juventus had a shit identity to begin with, that's the problem. Their badge was crap, they're named after a mythological figure rather than a place, and their colours are literally black and white. Not exactly a great basis for a rich identity.

If people think moving to a stylized 'letter' or something as abstract as that is the way forward for football brand, that's the death knell for our beautiful club IMO. You can't boil Aston Villa down to 1 symbol. We've already had the issue with the acronym AVFC being insufficient for our brand, we want our name on there.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Juventus had a shit identity to begin with, that's the problem. Their badge was crap, they're named after a mythological figure rather than a place, and their colours are literally black and white. Not exactly a great basis for a rich identity.

If people think moving to a stylized 'letter' or something as abstract as that is the way forward for football brand, that's the death knell for our beautiful club IMO. You can't boil Aston Villa down to 1 symbol. We've already had the issue with the acronym AVFC being insufficient for our brand, we want our name on there.

I think you’re missing the point. Not suggesting we copy the Juventus logo but the way they approached the rebrand: by taking it into a completely new direction with a brand that can work across multiple platforms and stay true to its origins.

As I said, a brand is more than just the logo or crest and that’s what it sounds like we are going to be looking at.

Edited by TH
Added detail to the final sentence.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TH said:

Interested to see where they go with this given the announcement last week.

A brand is more than a crest/logo - I imagine seeing the applications of the new crest within the wider context (ie not on the shirt) either lacked execution, or differed from the global Villa vision that Heck will be looking at.

The Juventus rebrand from a few years ago is a good example of really reimagining a football brand across various mediums (link).

I wouldn’t be surprised (and would kind of like it) if we did something really different from the norm, move away from the crest into something completely new. It would annoy a lot of fans of course but could really set us apart from all the other clubs and badges in the league.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got to say it looks absolutely ridiculous having emery wearing a villa training top with the villa lion facing one way and the board behind the lion facing opposite direction 

They really have made a mess of this

Screenshot_20230818_224156_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I've got to say it looks absolutely ridiculous having emery wearing a villa training top with the villa lion facing one way and the board behind the lion facing opposite direction 

They really have made a mess of this

Screenshot_20230818_224156_Chrome.jpg

Maybe the plan is to go 2 lions once William takes over and we become the royal club? What with 3 lions already taken :D 

50+ Heraldic Lion Crest 2 Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe the plan is to go 2 lions once William takes over and we become the royal club? What with 3 lions already taken :D 

If you mean the England crest, those are leopards, not lions. Ignorant people in the 13th century didn't know the difference and used the wrong word.

It's why they don't look like lions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you mean the England crest, those are leopards, not lions. Ignorant people in the 13th century didn't know the difference and used the wrong word.

It's why they don't look like lions.

3 leopards, kinda works. Least it's better than 3 Lepers which would have a terrible name, especially in the 13th century.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Burnley's new crest used on MoTD. Villa's old Lerner one still being used. Could cry!

Let us hope Villa get it sorted for next season - still think it a real shame we are half in and half out with the new badge as had been indicated.

I think that’s correct from them though? All of our marketing and media is using the old badge and not the new one. The new one is just for the kits isn’t it? 

• Like 1

Â