Christmas 2022

Seat68

On 17/11/2022 at 18:07, useless said:

Stollen

I think my favorite of all the Christmas cakes, I first tried it when dad bought some from Aldi and I haven't looked back since, I try and get some every year.

Stollen is dangerous stuff, got to be the marzipan one not the butter one, weirdly the same manufacturer that supplies Aldi UK supply them here too and its cheaper in the UK

I'm making it this week for the first time ever looking forward to it

Also recommend lebkuchen herzen, little gingerbread hearts covered in dark chocolate with apricot jam in the middle, they might be even better than stollen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Also recommend lebkuchen herzen, little gingerbread hearts covered in dark chocolate with apricot jam in the middle, they might be even better than stollen

You need lots of both for a good Christmas. 

Already watched Polar Express a few times with the nipper and half of Elf. Had loads of mince pies, got some nice icicle lights on the front of house and my inflatables are up (6ft Santa, 6ft Snowman with penguins, and a 5 foot Christmas Minion.)

Bought a Christmas table cloth and napkins today and I'm going to get a tree over the weekend. Just call me Sparky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Already watched Polar Express a few times with the nipper and half of Elf. Had loads of mince pies, got some nice icicle lights on the front of house and my inflatables are up (6ft Santa, 6ft Snowman with penguins, and a 5 foot Christmas Minion.)

Bought a Christmas table cloth and napkins today and I'm going to get a tree over the weekend. Just call me Sparky.

Other people don’t like this so can you please stop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I had to switch over quickly because Trading Places was on the other day. 

It's got to wait till December. 

• Shocked 1

On 20/11/2022 at 13:32, sidcow said:

Apparently we're not having a Christmas party this year as we just didn't book anything early enough. Yeah right. 

Instead they're shovelling a bit of money at each team to pay towards the team meal we always go for anyway in addition to the main Christmas party. 

I love a good Christmas Party 😔

ah i'm the opposite, i prefer the smaller do's. last year we had about 15 of us and had a right good knees up

this year it's a 180 people big event, senior MDs coming down from london etc, and we've already had the 'talk' about how one should behave at such an event.

and we have to pay for most of it ourselves!

Weekend after this one I think we’ll put the decorations up (2-4th). 

We’ve got an extra freezer in the garage so have been buying Christmas food as we go to avoid a massive one off expensive shopping bill. We’ll get the fresh stuff just before. 

Pretty much got all the presents now too. Just need to grab a phone for my daughter.

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Started seeing more and more houses with the lights on. People are flippin bonkers. 

very close to the 4 week window now in fairness. I'd be sympathetic. Though we fully plan to get ours and the tree up this week when we stop being ill. Had a long weekend in london to see a couple of shows and enjoy mulled wine under all the lights etc, and developed a **** off cold on day 2 :( ( wasn't covid, took 2 tests but bloody felt like it )

Perhaps as I get older I become more of a grumpy word removed but I just can't be bothered with works Xmas parties mainly cos of the expense of getting there and back if i don't drive, hotel room for the night if i do, but that probably means I'll still be over the legal limit to drive back the next morning. My inability to keep my gob shut when other sneaky effers are making the verbal bullets about the management. Being "nice" to those I wouldn't wee on if they were on fire just cos they're sat next to me; glancing in a pervy way at the office juniors in their impossibly tight and short party dresses....then remembering that I have a niece that age.

Oh yeah, also the forced zanyness of the MD (like Teresa May's dancing to the podium that time) and the sycophants lapping it up in the pathetic hope of a payrise next year.

But yeah, its probably me that has the problem 😉

• Like 4

Christmas idea for those of you struggling to buy yourselves nice things.  I think I'm going to invest in a Herman Miller Aeron desk chair this Christmas for my posture and primarily my lower back.  They're the Rolls Royce of desk chairs and brand new they're a small fortune (for a chair), but you can get them refurbished/reconditioned on the likes of eBay for sensible money. That'll be my treat for me, and my back will thank me for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Perhaps as I get older I become more of a grumpy word removed but I just can't be bothered with works Xmas parties mainly cos of the expense of getting there and back if i don't drive, hotel room for the night if i do, but that probably means I'll still be over the legal limit to drive back the next morning. My inability to keep my gob shut when other sneaky effers are making the verbal bullets about the management. Being "nice" to those I wouldn't wee on if they were on fire just cos they're sat next to me; glancing in a pervy way at the office juniors in their impossibly tight and short party dresses....then remembering that I have a niece that age.

Oh yeah, also the forced zanyness of the MD (like Teresa May's dancing to the podium that time) and the sycophants lapping it up in the pathetic hope of a payrise next year.

Miserable git ;)

But yes, I agree 100% :D 

I like a good Xmas party... or do I like the memory of what they were?! It used to be a great night, everyone would let their hair down and it was a riot. Nowadays? Everyone has a distrust of each other, especially of the senior management and people don't want to say anything that may get them into trouble/offend others, even if it wasn't meant that way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

easily the most annoying thing about xmas parties (and any other work event that involves senior leaders attending) is the number of people that use it as a networking opportunity

the reality is that (certainly at my place) the MDs don't want to be talking shop at a social event and it actually annoys them when people do

• Like 1

I have a Christmas party booked soon. Pure craft followed by Dishoom. I am conscious that a few senior managers are attending so I will drink little and keep my mouth shut. It’s been many a year since I was talked about as “that guy” at Christmas parties but at one point it was too regular. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Christmas idea for those of you struggling to buy yourselves nice things.  I think I'm going to invest in a Herman Miller Aeron desk chair this Christmas for my posture and primarily my lower back.  They're the Rolls Royce of desk chairs and brand new they're a small fortune (for a chair), but you can get them refurbished/reconditioned on the likes of eBay for sensible money. That'll be my treat for me, and my back will thank me for it.

I could do with something similar for my home studio. But without arm rests (or retractable arm rests) so I can play guitar sitting down. 

• Like 1